How many cuemakers keep standard hours ?

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
So with all the discussion about cuemakers, attitudes, and hours of communication, I got curious ....

Do you as a cuemaker keep standard business hours ? By standard business hours I mean your typical 9AM to 5PM Monday through Friday, the hours that a typical outfit might be open for business and available to communicate with customers.

If you do not keep typical hours, do you keep known hours ? By that I mean do you communicate via business cards, voice-response system. or web site, your particular hours of business ?

I appreciate that the part timers and hobbiests will not be able to answer this, and that's fine.

Dave

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
So with all the discussion about cuemakers, attitudes, and hours of communication, I got curious ....

Do you as a cuemaker keep standard business hours ? By standard business hours I mean your typical 9AM to 5PM Monday through Friday, the hours that a typical outfit might be open for business and available to communicate with customers.

If you do not keep typical hours, do you keep known hours ? By that I mean do you communicate via business cards, voice-response system. or web site, your particular hours of business ?

I appreciate that the part timers and hobbiests will not be able to answer this, and that's fine.

Dave
well, dave, i'll take a stab at this one
there's nothing standard about my schedule
just about the time i think i can take a break,
that's when somebody needing a tip calls or stops by
or i get a bunch of pm's & emails all at once
boils down to that if i'm awake & my phone is turned on,
i'm working, either physically working or mentally working, answering emails, doing drawings, etc, etc, etc.
i try to do most of the computer stuff in the evening hours after the body is worn out

Mr. Wiggles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Communicating

Dave
The best way to talk to your fav cue maker is by email!! Saves rambling about stuff and forgetting questions. I have had easily 50 emails with my current maker about the building process. Allows you to really think things out. Don't exactly understand cue makers who maintain sites and have contact info but don't respond. People are funny! Most cue makers IMO are also eccentric, which is good and bad!?!? Good that they are perfectionists.

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
You could almost set a watch to my schedule. I get to the shop at 6:30am M-F. Lunch at 11:30-12:15. Then I go home at 4pm. Fridays are a little earlier.

I suppose my situation is different than most. :p

TripXQ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
schedules

As a part-timer, I have to use emails for my primary communications. I also have a message machine on my landline phone. This allows me to contact customers that I have dealt with in the past easily and new customers in the evenings. They are all informed about my time schedule first and then we discuss cue business.
Tom Gedris, Triple Cross Cues

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Dave
It doesn't matter what hours someone keeps unless they make it known that you can call anything. Common etiquette tells you you don't call people at 11:30 pm. Especially someone who is a total stranger to you. It is considered inconsiderate to call someone any later than 10:00pm unless it is an emergency or if the call is expected as with a family member who often calls late hours because they know your hours.
This is not really debatable.

DaveK

Silver Member
It doesn't matter what hours someone keeps unless they make it known that you can call anything. Common etiquette tells you you don't call people at 11:30 pm. Especially someone who is a total stranger to you. It is considered inconsiderate to call someone any later than 10:00pm unless it is an emergency or if the call is expected as with a family member who often calls late hours because they know your hours.
This is not really debatable.

Thanks Brent, Ryan, and Tom for answering the question that was written. There were no between the lines questions to answer here, only "what hours do you keep".

Dave

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member

Dave

Just thought that I would point out that IMO easily 90% of all cue makers are not full-time. The market is small, and most cannot make a living at making cues alone, so you end up with mostly part-timers and hobbiests.

Arnot Wadsworth

Senior Cuemaker
Silver Member

Dave

I keep pretty much standard full time hours for a business. 8 to 8, Monday thru Friday. It is clearly posted on my contact page along with the phone number.

bstroud

Deceased
For 44 years I have been pretty mush 24/7 except for a few vacation days.
Doesn't mean I always answer the phone.

Bill Stroud

patrickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave:

I am full time. And by the meaning of full time my hours are 24/7 my phone is on. Since my shop is in a huge pool room so my shop hours are 3 pm until the last person leaves. That could be any where from 2am until 6 am in a lot of cases. How ever I do suggest that if someone calls me they will have better luck anytime after 3pm to get me to answer unless I happen to get moving early. Which is totally by accident!! Now I know that I am not the norm with my hours. And people should respect what ever the normal business hours of the cue maker there wanting to or is working with. This is what I do full time for a living! Oh one more thing also!

If you love being broke, putting almost every dollar you make back into it! . Taking a vacation once every 5 years. You should become a cue maker! You have to love this craft to do it!!! NO EXCEPTIONS!!!!!

Last edited:

sonofthunder

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Business hours

I wake up @ 5:00 am. You can call (preferred) 5a. to 7p M-Sat
Paul Sumrall S&S Cues 806-778-1957

Last edited:

midstroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have called doug at night after a night out parting. Like 3 am hammered bragging that we just won a tourny or something. Im suprised he has not killed me yet! But has always been very good to talk to. I know i took it a bit far by the late hours trust me. But just saying when he says his phone is always on IT IS.

patrickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have called doug at night after a night out parting. Like 3 am hammered bragging that we just won a tourny or something. Im suprised he has not killed me yet! But has always been very good to talk to. I know i took it a bit far by the late hours trust me. But just saying when he says his phone is always on IT IS.
Thanks Steve. Its always good talking with you. Even when your DRUNK! LOL Hey guys if you need a lawn care guy Steve is the one you want to call.. By the way at 3:00 am also!!! If you want his number give me a call. I will gladly pass it on!!!
ROFLMAO!!!!

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
You could almost set a watch to my schedule. I get to the shop at 6:30am M-F. Lunch at 11:30-12:15. Then I go home at 4pm. Fridays are a little earlier.

I suppose my situation is different than most. :p

I am with you Ryan, I open my pool room at 12:30 pm and close between 11:00 pm and 1:00 am Monday through Friday. Then I put in a little time on Saterday and Sunday, since my shop is the back of my pool room my customers can get in touch with me with no problem.

I also suppose my situation is a little different than most, but it is also why I do so much repair work in addition to what I build, but it is a good mix in the end, and I am more than busy.

midstroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Steve. Its always good talking with you. Even when your DRUNK! LOL Hey guys if you need a lawn care guy Steve is the one you want to call.. By the way at 3:00 am also!!! If you want his number give me a call. I will gladly pass it on!!!
ROFLMAO!!!!

LMAO, Heck ya give me a call. I will let wife answer the phone though!

DaveK

Silver Member
Thanks guys, I appreciate the replies. It looks about what I expected :

- some folks run a fairly standard business ... especially those who work for a big company and have a boss (Hi Ryan :wave3:)

- those who work out of a pool hall keep pool-player hours (frankly I did not think about these shops, but with your replies it makes perfect sense)

- some work all the time as needed, I'll bet that many who did not respond are like this as well

- then there are the hobby guys , but I was really interested in those who do this for a living

Thanks again folks.

Dave