Learning to replace cue tips

gatorcc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am trying to learn how to replace cue tips. I was wondering how is the best way to begin learning this as well as what tools would I need to purchase in order to put new tips on cues?
I am thinking about taking some of my old cues and removing the tips and installing new tips as a good learning method.

My goal is to start being able to put new tips on my cues when needed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
wow... that was a couple of dick answers.

Not really. Most of the newbies won't take their time to click on the search button or even use YouTube that has some really good examples.

The answer to the question posted here has been answered a thousand times on this forum. Everybody will gladly help if the person is having an issue with an install and we sure will make suggestions.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am trying to learn how to replace cue tips. I was wondering how is the best way to begin learning this as well as what tools would I need to purchase in order to put new tips on cues?
I am thinking about taking some of my old cues and removing the tips and installing new tips as a good learning method.

My goal is to start being able to put new tips on my cues when needed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The process is not that hard you will find youtube clips that will give an you an idea how to do it. If you are just doing a few tips for yourself you can do it with little more the a razor knife. and some sand paper taking your time. I would not want to be installing dozens of tips like that but for yourself if it takes a little longer so what. The thing is. I owned two pool rooms and did all my house cues as well as have worked on cues for over 30 years. I have done thousands but every one needs the same attention to what you are doing.

You don't want to get glue on the ferrule or sand it at all if possible. You "REALLY" don't want to get any glue on the shaft so you always have to be paying attention to what is on your fingers, especially with todays super gels. Beyond that get an old shaft you can practice on before doing any actual shafts. I used a razor knife years ago doing house cues and I got really good at it.

I would glue on a tip close to the shaft size and after it was dry hold the cue tip down in a block of wood. I would trim the tip away from the ferrule making a slight bell shape that I would finish later with sand paper bring it even with the ferrule. It came out as good as with a lathe but took longer. I got really good at it I would have that razor knife moving like a sewing machine as I rotated the shaft taking tiny cuts.

I had no fear of doing custom cues that way and at the pool room before I had a lathe must have done hundreds, but you have to take care regardless how you do it. No matter how many tips you have done, you can still easily screw up the next one if you are not careful.

Last edited:

Dirtbmw20

Lee Casto
Silver Member
wow... that was a couple of dick answers.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=51018

Check out this thread. I still refer to it, when I'm retipping my cues.

Not at all. He asked for the best way to start learning..... and watching some You Tube videos is a damn great place to start learning.

With a little effort and a little searching, he could've found the same exact link you posted. Watching some videos will show, tell, explain, and he'll see what tools are used.