Mike Dechaine

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People in glass houses shouldn’t cast stones.....

As for the rest. I plead the 5th

It’s amazing how much nonsense is spoken by people with such little information. And yeah I was right in the middle of that shit storm.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Mike is the only player on the planet who has a winning record against SVB.

Thanks for that. I wasn't willing to go that far, just that he was the only American with a winning record over Shane.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everything is more expensive up north and he is selling Andersen Windows in MAINE where they need double panes for more insulation making them more expensive still.

We use dual glazed Low-E in every single project we build in Los Angeles. I would imagine in the NE, they would also utilize triple glazed units for even better thermal efficiency. Better U and R values.....

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only on AZB could it be considered an insult to a player to say he went and got a great regular job.

Exactly- I couldn't believe what i was reading and then the guy says "CLEARLY" I started this thread in "anger".-At who/why?- I met Mike exactly once for an hour 15 years ago and held in all my anger all this time and finally couldn't last any longer and came out with the "He got a real job" ultimate insult. lol!

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We use dual glazed Low-E in every single project we build in Los Angeles. I would imagine in the NE, they would also utilize triple glazed units for even better thermal efficiency. Better U and R values.....

Im sure you are right- Im no window expert-I just know Maine is another level of cold in the NE.

penguin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Penguin has a hard on for SVB, and looks for any opportunity to talk shit about him.

Hope that helps. :thumbup:
i knew that already, so maybe i shouldn't have asked. but the claim that MD was driven out of the pro pool scene has been voiced by others as well
RiverCity may not care for me, and I may not care for Shane, but the truth is still the truth even if you don't like the "messenger".

The pool world wasn't very kind to Mike Dechaine when he told the truth. :(

Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RiverCity may not care for me, and I may not care for Shane, but the truth is still the truth even if you don't like the "messenger".

The pool world wasn't very kind to Mike Deschaine when he told the truth. :(

Actually I dont know you, or give a shit about you. Youre a blip on my screen.

The fact is, you look for any opportunity to talk shit about SVB. That much is easily visible through your posting history.

If youre going to say it, own it, and stop acting like a 12 year old girl talking about 'dont shoot the messenger'.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for that. I wasn't willing to go that far, just that he was the only American with a winning record over Shane.

Yes, and that was then; this is now. Shane's 9-7 win over Mike at Steinway in October tipped the scales one game in the other direction 135 to 134...

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I watched all of TAR 31, Mike versus Shane. Mike was just like everybody else who showed up in that studio to play Shane a long race. He walked into a buzzsaw. Despite the negative review by Melinda, he handled himself and the loss well.

Mike may have a good tournament record against Shane, but it was obvious to anybody who watched that Shane was in a class by himself.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Yes, and that was then; this is now. Shane's 9-7 win over Mike at Steinway in October tipped the scales one game in the other direction 135 to 134...

Hard to believe they've played 269 matches. Is that racks? If so, it's not the discussion topic. Nonetheless, it's enough info to validate the claim that Mike has been every bit as good as Shane in the head to head matchups.

On another note, how do you handle the Derby City Classic 9-ball, in which match scores are not customarily recorded. For example, despite the fact that he won the DCC 9-ball in 2014, SVB lost a match along the way to Dechaine. Does Fargo count it or not?

Last edited:

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It has been my experience that a good percentage of salespeople that I have ran across, whether it be cars, real estate, retail commission sales, whatever.... Are a bunch of sleazy, smarmy douchebags who operate under the mistaken belief that they are smarter than you, and can con you into buying whatever it is they need to sell you. More along the lines of bullshitter than helpful sales associate.

Im quite certain that lots of pool players would have no trouble transitioning to this job title if the need arose. :thumbup:

I've met a lot of sleazy, folks in my 66 years that have nothing to do with the above jobs. A lot of them were "degreed" people with college educatiions, which included some MBA and PHD fellers. I judge people by their actions, not by what they do for a living.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mike was very outspoken and could be crude as well. His idea of diplomacy was to leave out the profanity when talking about someone else, and that wasn't an easy thing for him to do.

Often times his big mouth over shadowed his big game and talent as a pool player. "Big Head" could have been his own worst enemy.

I remember staking a very young Mike D. to play in his first U.S. Open and he finished something like 13th-16th. I gave him half the money and he was thrilled. Fast foward a few years and he was cussing me out publicly.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I've met a lot of sleazy, folks in my 66 years that have nothing to do with the above jobs. A lot of them were "degreed" people with college educatiions, which included some MBA and PHD fellers. I judge people by their actions, not by what they do for a living.

Well said. People of high and low character are found in all professions and in all walks of life. As you wisely point out, people should be judged on a case basis by their actions.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well said. People of high and low character are found in all professions and in all walks of life. As you wisely point out, people should be judged on a case basis by their actions.
Agree 100%. Some of the best folks i've ever known have been salespeople. There's rotten apples in every profession. I've known a few lawyers, a couple doctors and a handful of so called "men of faith" that i wouldn't piss on if they were on fire.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Mike was very outspoken and could be crude as well. His idea of diplomacy was to leave out the profanity when talking about someone else, and that wasn't an easy thing for him to do.

Often times his big mouth over shadowed his big game and talent as a pool player. "Big Head" could have been his own worst enemy.

I remember staking a very young Mike D. to play in his first U.S. Open and he finished something like 13th-16th. I gave him half the money and he was thrilled. Fast foward a few years and he was cussing me out publicly.

Sad but true.

Mike burned a lot of bridges, even the one he could probably least afford to burn in pool, and that was the one with Mike Zuglan. Mike Dechaine is among the most successful Joss Tour players ever but he was banned from the tour by Zuglan and it surely has cost him quite a bit of money since.

Mike has matured some since then, and he has a very businesslike approach to his new trade. He is also enthusiastic and ambitious, even telling me his percentage success rate as a salesman and his precise goal for the future.

We'll see how it goes but I hope it all goes well for him.

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hard to believe they've played 269 matches. Is that racks? If so, it's not the discussion topic. Nonetheless, it's enough info to validate the claim that Mike has been every bit as good as Shane in the head to head matchups.

On another note, how do you handle the Derby City Classic 9-ball, in which match scores are not customarily recorded. For example, despite the fact that he won the DCC 9-ball in 2014, SVB lost a match along the way to Dechaine. Does Fargo count it or not?

Fargo is based on racks vs racks not matches.