Same Old Same Old at Turning Stone? Not to SJM

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I caught the last two days of the Turning Stone Classic this weekend near Syracuse, NY. If you followed the brackets or the live scoring only, you probably figured it was just another Turning Stone, with either Shane or Jayson snapping it off with truly overpowering play in the final.

The truth, however, is that some weird and unexpected stuff happened along the way. First, there was the Saturday night Jeremy Sossei vs SVB match. Sossei, who'd already beaten eventual bronze medalist James Aranas, jumped out impressively to a 7-3 lead over Shane and looked like he was cruising. Some will recall that Sossei led Shane 8-4 in a race to nine at the Steinway Classic 10-ball just a few months ago and ultimately lost 9-8, so surely this match at Turning Stone was not yet in the bag. Sossei really only had one bad error while Shane stormed back to 7-7, but Jeremy won rack fifteen to get to the hill with an 8-7 lead. SVB brought it to double hill, but Jeremy had the first good look at a runout in the double hill rack. When Jeremy hung the three ball, that was all Shane needed and proceeded to run out for the match. How big was this match? The winner would go to sleep at 11:30 PM and the loser still had to wait on another match and play a match starting at midnight for a spot on Sunday against the red-hot James Aranas. Sossei survived that one, but looked spent on Sunday morning, never really getting started against Aranas.

Sunday was more orderly. Shane and Kazakis advanced impressively to the hot seat match at the expense of Shaw and Fortunski, each of whom would fall in the next round. Shane won the hot seat easily and Aranas demolished Thorpe in the quarterfinal. As seems to happen more than occasionally with James, his game disappeared and Kazakis crushed him 9-1 in the semis.

The final was where it got weird. Everyone knows that Shane owns Kazakis and, going in, it seemed very unlikely that Alex would get to 13 before Shane. Surely, Shane would dominate with his break and string racks, and Kazakis would be unable to match him blow for blow …. but that's not how it went at all.

Anyone who saw a tactical tug-of war coming is wiser than I am, but that's what we got. Shane was a bit sloppy early and fell behind 6-3, but from that point on, he dominated, I kid you not, with his safety play, It's rare that Shane needs to use this formula to win in the biggest spots, and it's certainly not what he does best, but he shone brightly as a tactician in this match, practically suffocating Kazakis down the stretch.

This Turning Stone turned on a dime on Saturday night when Sossei let SVB escape from Alcatraz. Sunday gave us an improbable, but tasty, climax.

Shane played well and was a very deserving champion. Bravo!

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I caught the last two days of the Turning Stone Classic this weekend near Syracuse, NY. If you followed the brackets or the live scoring only, you probably figured it was just another Turning Stone, with either Shane or Jayson snapping it off with truly overpowering play in the final.

The truth, however, is that some weird and unexpected stuff happened along the way. First, there was the Saturday night Jeremy Sossei vs SVB match. Sossei, who'd already beaten eventual bronze medalist James Aranas, jumped out impressively to a 7-3 lead over Shane and looked like he was cruising. Some will recall that Sossei led Shane 8-4 in a race to nine at the Steinway Classic 10-ball just a few months ago and ultimately lost 9-8, so surely this match at Turning Stone was not yet in the bag. Sossei really only had one bad error while Shane stormed back to 7-7, but Jeremy won rack fifteen to get to the hill with an 8-7 lead. SVB brought it to double hill, but Jeremy had the first good look at a runout in the double hill rack. When Jeremy hung the three ball, that was all Shane needed and proceeded to run out for the match. How big was this match? The winner would go to sleep at 11:30 PM and the loser still had to wait on another match and play a match starting at midnight for a spot on Sunday's against the red-hot James Aranas. Sossei survived that one, but looked spent on Sunday morning, never really getting started against Aranas.

Sunday was more orderly. Shane and Kazakis advanced impressively to the hot seat match at the expense of Shaw and Fortunski, each of whom would fall in the next round. Shane won the hot seat easily and Aranas demolished Thorpe in the quarterfinal. As seems to happen more than occasionally with James, his game disappeared and Kazakis crushed him 9-1 in the semis.

The final was where it got weird. Everyone knows that Shane owns Kazakis and, going in, it seemed very unlikely that Alex would get to 13 before Shane. Surely, Shane would dominate with his break and string racks, and Kazakis would be unable to match him blow for blow …. but that's not how it went at all.

Anyone who saw a tactical tug-of war coming is wiser than I am, but that's what we got. Shane was a bit sloppy early and fell behind 6-3, but from that point on, he dominated, I kid you not, with his safety play, It's rare that Shane needs to use this formula to win in the biggest spots, and it's certainly not what he does best, but he shone brightly as a tactician in this match, practically suffocating Kazakis down the stretch.

This Turning Stone turned on a dime on Saturday night when Sossei let SVB escape from Alcatraz. Sunday gave us an improbable, but tasty, climax.

Great report Stu, thanks!

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Upstate has me blocked from commenting on FB lol so it was a little too frustrating to watch that match but I kept checking in and Shane was rolling on that 10 game streak. I got to see a little of the tactics, I remember a bad push from kazakis that left Shane a shot in the side. Hopefully it shows up on YouTube soon I’d like to study closer the safety play

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks! I watched Jeremy in the midnight match and he looked exhausted then. I would agree with you, having to play another match took a huge toll on him; had he won the SVB match Saturday night ; I think he may very well have been a good bet to win it all.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

The truth, however, is that some weird and unexpected stuff happened along the way. First, there was the Saturday night Jeremy Sossei vs SVB match. Sossei, who'd already beaten eventual bronze medalist James Aranas, jumped out impressively to a 7-3 lead over Shane and looked like he was cruising. Some will recall that Sossei led Shane 8-4 in a race to nine at the Steinway Classic 10-ball just a few months ago and ultimately lost 9-8, so surely this match at Turning Stone was not yet in the bag. Sossei really only had one bad error while Shane stormed back to 7-7, but Jeremy won rack fifteen to get to the hill with an 8-7 lead. SVB brought it to double hill, but Jeremy had the first good look at a runout in the double hill rack. When Jeremy hung the three ball, that was all Shane needed and proceeded to run out for the match. How big was this match? The winner would go to sleep at 11:30 PM and the loser still had to wait on another match and play a match starting at midnight for a spot on Sunday against the red-hot James Aranas. Sossei survived that one, but looked spent on Sunday morning, never really getting started against Aranas.

I'm glad Sossei had to play another match after he played so slowly, usually it's the opponent that gets punished by these guys/girls taking minutes per shot.

I thought Danny D was gonna have a stroke he was so upset about taking FOREVER to shoot.

And he was 100% in the right to be that upset.

lou the greek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not taking anything away from Shane,but in the final he had 2 9s on the break and got at least 95% of the rolls

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Not taking anything away from Shane,but in the final he had 2 9s on the break and got at least 95% of the rolls

That's true, but the theme of my post is that he won the final without the usual formula. Your observation only adds to the point I've made. Those of us who often watch Shane are used to seeing him overpower the table, often parking opponents in the chair and getting them out of stroke. Even if we erase his two golden breaks, he won eleven of the eighteen racks played, and did so by being careful and disciplined when the table didn't offer the kind of chances he tends to prefer.

I don't agree that luck had much to do with the result.

jeephawk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The strategy in the final was fascinating. Pace seemed pretty deliberate but understandable. Thought he really showed stronger safety play than this inexperienced viewer has seen in the past. And there were some pretty incredible shots made from time to time.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The last 10 games Shane played several masterful shot where he took a tough shot on an early ball and was dead safe when he missed. Racks were tough and he played to a lock safe once or twice a rack. Whether Kazakis hit it or not....Shane would just run out. There was literally nothing Kazakis could do to change the match.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I thought the only one who could upset Shane was James Aranas....
...turns out he got food poisoning for his last match.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Sad to hear if true. With the form he'd shown against Billy Thorpe in the quarterfinal, James, provided he would have beaten Kazakis, might have given SVB a run for his money in the final.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watch with no sound. Ed and Michael are terrible commentators. They have to comment before and after on every shot. Danny D. Was great but after that it’s commentator h3ll.

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tap tap tap...

I agree, that final was a great example of the ultimate (in anything) when talent, hard work, knowledge and wisdom all come together at the right time. Shane’s lockdown game was stellar..... from the push outs, to the safety play, and the execution. Really fun match to see close up. Thx Al, Mike Z., Mike H., and players. Props to all!

Td

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Shane was able to switch gears from offense to defense and did an amazing job with his multi rail safeties. His speed was superb on many shots and on the few that he left a ball the return safety was very difficult. Even when Shane pushed-out and the shot was returned to him he nailed it.

Eventually Kazakis would get cold and lose confidence with his game and Shane took over on all fronts.

I have turned into a big fan of the Greek and was impressed at how he conducted himself after the whooping that SVB put on him.:cool:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I have turned into a big fan of the Greek and was impressed at how he conducted himself after the whooping that SVB put on him.:cool:

Alex Kazakis has won more than a few fans in America. He is appreciated for his fine play, good sportsmanship, and unswerving professionalism. He is gracious in both victory and defeat and has great respect for his fellow pros.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

James is great....still 2 or 3 years until he's close to making his high mark.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alex Kazakis has won more than a few fans in America. He is appreciated for his fine play, good sportsmanship, and unswerving professionalism. He is gracious in both victory and defeat and has great respect for his fellow pros.

We tried to get him to play our Salt City Billiards event in Syracuse. Even as a part of the main event.

In September I'm going to do all I can to get some big money match. Kazakis has an invitation to be a part of that card.