Flying With Pool Cues 2020?

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hello All, Has anyone flown recently with a pool cue? I ask because I am now seeing a $60 charge across most airlines for a checked bag AND possibility of additional oversize fee for simple cue case size. This is really frustrating as is totally negates a good deal on a flight price. For example, I can fly round trip from SoCal to Sacramento for $97.00 but would have to pay $120 additional to check my cue case each way and possibly $200 if deemed oversize.

What have some recent experiences been? I've traveled for years to SBE with an oversized duffel with as many as 8 cues and my clothes. The cost was an additional $50 each way.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hello All, Has anyone flown recently with a pool cue? I ask because I am now seeing a $60 charge across most airlines for a checked bag AND possibility of additional oversize fee for simple cue case size. This is really frustrating as is totally negates a good deal on a flight price. For example, I can fly round trip from SoCal to Sacramento for $97.00 but would have to pay $120 additional to check my cue case each way and possibly $200 if deemed oversize.

What have some recent experiences been? I've traveled for years to SBE with an oversized duffel with as many as 8 cues and my clothes. The cost was an additional $50 each way.
Fly Southwest from SoCal. 100 pounds of luggage plus a carry-on is free. I have a long roller-duffel that my case fits in and it has always been accepted. Plus, Southwest doesn't charge any change fees and if you cancel you can reuse all the fare money in a future ticket.

And I like the fact that I can sit where I want when I get on the plane.

And since my credit card gets Southwest points, about half of my flights are "free".

Sacramento-Burbank is $118 standard fare.

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

Honeslty it would be faster, better, and less aggravation to drive. Honeslty dealing with airports, TSA, airlines that treat you like crap, that's why I no longer fly.

Burbank to Sacramento is like 7 hours of driving pleasure.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

You'll have to pay but shouldn't get the oversize fee. I've been carrying a golf bag with hard locking case. As long as it's under the weight limit for a checked bag, they don't charge.

Sometimes it pays to upgrade to economy plus. Often the bag(s) are included and you get more confortable seats. My buddy and I golfed in Scotland and flew premium on Virgin. The price was the same as paying coach with the extra bags, but we were eating on China, drinking free and sitting in large reclining seats.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

If you know somebody just ship it to them and avoid the hassle

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Fly Southwest from SoCal. 100 pounds of luggage plus a carry-on is free. I have a long roller-duffel that my case fits in and it has always been accepted. Plus, Southwest doesn't charge any change fees and if you cancel you can reuse all the fare money in a future ticket.

And since my credit card gets Southwest points, about half of my flights are "free".

Bob,

I'm with you. Martin should fly Southwest to Philly. Two checked bags and effectively two carry on's, If you use the electronic kiosk and apply the shipping tags yourself, it is the simplest way to go. Also earn roughly two round trips on LUV with my two credit cards yearly. Pretty sure LUV flies direct from LAX to PHL.

Lyn

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Honeslty it would be faster, better, and less aggravation to drive. Honeslty dealing with airports, TSA, airlines that treat you like crap, that's why I no longer fly.

Drove from Rochester, NY to Las Vegas last September. Philly is roughly the same mileage. It would take Martin three days minimum to drive. SBE is located around thirty miles northwest of the Philly airport. Drove from LAS to SMF via RNO a few years ago. 400 miles and 9 hours.

Lyn

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

You are flying on the wrong airlines, I suppose.

The main problem with Southwest is that because their stops are so short -- maybe 30 minutes -- and the flights are relatively short, if one airplane gets delayed it can affect several legs.

It is not less aggravation to drive.

Driving to Vegas for a tournament through Barstow. Somewhere around Boron on the two-lane road in fairly heavy traffic both directions we come around a curve and coming towards us is a large yellow rental truck with all of a family's possession in it fishtailing, having caught the start of the turn and the wind just wrong. Fishtailing increases. Truck goes on its side sliding towards us. Fortunately we were 30 seconds too late to participate thoroughly in the festivities and managed to stop in time.

The roads can be crazy. Lots of idiots on them. Planes are still safer and much, much faster.

$85 for five years gets you a TSA-Pre pass. Leave your shoes, belt, light coat on. Don't bother to take your computer out of your carry on. Go through the metal detector instead of the radiation machine.

Flying is actually simpler for me than it used to be back when travel agents were involved. My smarty-phone is my pass now and my computer is my travel agent.

Not that I don't enjoy the occasional road trip. In 1980 I took the southern route CA to NY. I was standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona. Nothing special happened.:cool: Took the northern route back in July when Nevada was setting high temperature records.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are flying on the wrong airlines, I suppose.

The main problem with Southwest is that because their stops are so short -- maybe 30 minutes -- and the flights are relatively short, if one airplane gets delayed it can affect several legs.

It is not less aggravation to drive.

Driving to Vegas for a tournament through Barstow. Somewhere around Boron on the two-lane road in fairly heavy traffic both directions we come around a curve and coming towards us is a large yellow rental truck with all of a family's possession in it fishtailing, having caught the start of the turn and the wind just wrong. Fishtailing increases. Truck goes on its side sliding towards us. Fortunately we were 30 seconds too late to participate thoroughly in the festivities and managed to stop in time.

The roads can be crazy. Lots of idiots on them. Planes are still safer and much, much faster.

$85 for five years gets you a TSA-Pre pass. Leave your shoes, belt, light coat on. Don't bother to take your computer out of your carry on. Go through the metal detector instead of the radiation machine.

Flying is actually simpler for me than it used to be back when travel agents were involved. My smarty-phone is my pass now and my computer is my travel agent.

Not that I don't enjoy the occasional road trip. In 1980 I took the southern route CA to NY. I was standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona. Nothing special happened.:cool: Took the northern route back in July when Nevada was setting high temperature records.

Better off paying the extra $15 clams and getting Global Entry that includes TSA-Precheck. Will help motivate you to travel abroad ;)

Or better yet, sign up for the Chase United Visa. Its free the 1st year then $95 for the second year. Get a free checked bag per flight and "expedited" boarding, and a couple of club passes per year. Plus you can charge the $100 Global Entry fee and get it comped back on the card. Also spend $2K in the first few months and you get 40-50K bonus miles. Cancel it after the second year before it comes up for renewal :thumbup:

Can get a lot of free flights playing that game.

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bob,

I'm with you. Martin should fly Southwest to Philly. Two checked bags and effectively two carry on's, If you use the electronic kiosk and apply the shipping tags yourself, it is the simplest way to go. Also earn roughly two round trips on LUV with my two credit cards yearly. Pretty sure LUV flies direct from LAX to PHL.

Lyn

Thanks guys. Southwest is the call for sure to Northern California. Already booked for SBE so I'm going to have to deal with the $60 each way upcharge which for that trip is do-able. I love the electronic kiosk tip too!

Pangit

Banned

Does SW "check" if the cue has Ivory in it...or not?

Speaking of SW, how is Bill S. doing these days? Sorry, Brainfart, I was thinking about JW.

Last edited:

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Does SW "check" if the cue has Ivory in it...or not?

Speaking of SW, how is Bill S. doing these days? Sorry, Brainfart, I was thinking about JW.

It has been my experience over the last ten years, SW (or TSA) does not open and check any bag I've checked. Use an unusual color plastic tie wrap to close the travel case. By law, they have to insert a notice if the bag has been opened. More concerned my bag being lost or shipped to the wrong destination. BUR instead of BUF.

Lyn

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Drove from Rochester, NY to Las Vegas last September. Philly is roughly the same mileage. It would take Martin three days minimum to drive. SBE is located around thirty miles northwest of the Philly airport. Drove from LAS to SMF via RNO a few years ago. 400 miles and 9 hours.

Lyn

My point is the Burbank to Sacramento distance is 7 hours by car, I have not flow since like 1997.

I have time, if I need go someplace it by personal vechicle.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have not taken my full on setup with my favorite cues/shafts and case on a trip ever. I stick a shaft I like (but not my favorite) and a cheap butt (currently a McDermott Lucky) in a decent soft case and stick it corner to corner in my suitcase, fits nicely.

Even for something like a league nationals I'd rather not risk having things damaged, lost, stolen while travelling. I don't need a $1,000 cue and a large case, just a few shafts I'm used to and whatever butt they can fit on for $60. The shaft is like 80% of your comfort zone anyway, you can find a cheap butt that will match the balance and hit of your main cue and use that when away.

Last edited:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Always avoid the lowest fare, as that has the most restrictions like no refunds, excessive luggage fees, and last boarding.

Years ago, I remember Virgin America was like $20 more than Jet Blue, but allowed up to 10 pieces of checked luggage, versus 2 for Jet Blue.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I fly SW wherever I can.

There first come seating, no bag fees and one year exchange on change/cancel is nice.

And Cokes are still free, IIRC.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I am willing to drive 3 days to avoid TSA let alone airports, cramped seating,...
Plus I know lots a nice places to stop, stay, and eat.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I fly SW wherever I can.

There first come seating, no bag fees and one year exchange on change/cancel is nice.

And Cokes are still free, IIRC.
The main catch with the first come seating is that you have to remember to check in 23.99 hours in advance to be at the start of the boarding order (or pay extra for early boarding). Being late to board and getting a middle seat is not so bad as you can pick your row mates. I look for skinny people. :thumbup:

Soft drinks are free as are the snacks. I think they still give me four drink coupons per year for my birthday. I often don't use them since I drive when I land, but that means my skinny row mates get surprise free drinks.:)

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know about flying with a cue, but I knew a women who could fly with a broom. She was a real witch.