Porper B lathe bearings ??

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
Anyone know where I can order a set of bearings for the Porper B Q-Lathe.
Main spindle bearings.
Mine are becoming noisy and an upgrade to better bearings if available is due.

Also any advice on replacing them would be greatly appreciated.

Willee 361-563-1303

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any bearing supply can get them. The serial number is on them. The supplier can also tell you how good the type of bearing is.

Now the fun part.
Removing the spindle. Hahahaha
The noise you are most likely hearing is that the spindle has worn marks from the bearings. Whether it's from time, or spindle not sitting straight. It happens.
Make sure all the screws holding the spindle/motors box are tight. The goal is not to twist the box removing the spindle.
Remove the chuck and backing plate.
Remove the belt pulley.
Put a towel over the motor.
Block the right side hole(chuck side) with a towel or paper towels. Put a bunch of ice inside the spindle and block the hole. Wait a little bit. The ice will cause the spindle to shrink a little and use a big rubber malet and go to work. The spindle slides out towards the tail stock. Once you get the spindle to move 3/4 of an inch, you'll see the burn marks. Obviously, clean the mark on the left side because it still has to go thru another bearing.
Yayyyy, it's out. Clean the marks, don't sand to much. Install the new bearings. Where the marks are on the spindle, add some center punch tits. Put fresh ice in the spindle and get it back in place.
Good luck
Have fun.
Note*
You might be able to use a gear puller. I don't remember if I did or not.
DO NOT TWIST THAT BOX!

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
Thanks Michael for the detailed information.
Sounds like you have done this task before.
Their are some bearing supply stores here in Corpus Christi Texas that service oil field equipment.
They will most likely be able to order new bearings if they don't have then in stock.

I am hoping to get a Hightower lathe sometime this week so I will wait till that is in the shop before I tear down the Porper.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Michael for the detailed information.
Sounds like you have done this task before.
Their are some bearing supply stores here in Corpus Christi Texas that service oil field equipment.
They will most likely be able to order new bearings if they don't have then in stock.

I am hoping to get a Hightower lathe sometime this week so I will wait till that is in the shop before I tear down the Porper.

Mr. Porper and I go way back. I spent a lot of time in his shop down in Chatsworth in the 90's.

James Sarenich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As soon as I read Willee's question. I knew Michael would be chiming in. As a Model B owner I always look forward to learning more on my lathe. Not necessarily fixing it. But learning. Michael you seem to be the resident expert. Thank You, Jim