• McDermott Intimidator I-Shaft

Votes: 29 37.2%
  • Neither, save money for Jacoby cue

Votes: 8 10.3%

• Total voters

gatorcc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't believe I have seen a poll like this one. If I'm wrong I'm sorry.

I am going to get a new shaft for my McDermott cue and I am trying to decide between and OB Shaft or a McDermott I-Shaft Super Control.

I know it is up to the player as everyone will have there own opinion but I figured I would ask you all anyway.

Predator is not up there because I prefer to buy American that is the only reason.

fcee06

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im not sure how many people have even played with the I shaft. I know I havent, but its hard to imagine it playing better than an ob1 or ob2. The things I have been able to do and shots that I can now add to my game has helped tremendously. Im hitting ball with a confidence I have never had. Im a big fan of the OB1 and now play with the OB2. GL in your decision. Just my honest and slightly biased opinion.

Big Frank

Irish634

Whatever
Silver Member

I am going to get a new shaft for my McDermott cue and I am trying to decide between and OB Shaft or a McDermott I-Shaft Super Control.

I know it is up to the player as everyone will have there own opinion but I figured I would ask you all anyway.

Predator is not up there because I prefer to buy American that is the only reason.

I bought an I2 a couple of years ago. I really didn't like it so I went back to the original shaft. I am not sure how the new ones are, but the one I have really didn't have any feedback for me.

gatorcc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im not sure how many people have even played with the I shaft. I know I havent, but its hard to imagine it playing better than an ob1 or ob2. The things I have been able to do and shots that I can now add to my game has helped tremendously. Im hitting ball with a confidence I have never had. Im a big fan of the OB1 and now play with the OB2. GL in your decision. Just my honest and slightly biased opinion.

Big Frank

Thanks for the input. Since you have played with both the OB-1 and OB-2 shafts I was wondering if you noticed a change going from the 12.75mm OB-1 to the 11.75mm OB-2? I currently play with the 13mm shaft that came on my McDermott. Just wondering how much adjustment I would have with the OB-2.

gatorcc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought an I2 a couple of years ago. I really didn't like it so I went back to the original shaft. I am not sure how the new ones are, but the one I have really didn't have any feedback for me.

Thank you for your feedback.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The construction of the McDermott I-Shafts has changed some, since Jerry Powers recently became involved with McDermott. The I-Shafts are now constructed according to his guidelines, and are, if I understood him correctly, quite different. Jerry gave me an I-3 shaft to play with (similar to Z2 or OB2 in shaft size and taper), at the SBE last month, and give him a report. I told him I would play with it for 100 hrs, and report back. So far, I've put in about 20-25 hours, and I REALLY like this shaft (I should qualify this with, 1) in 35+ years of playing, I have never liked a small diameter shaft...I usually play with 13mm; and 2) I have played with both the Predator and OB shafts and did not like them at all). I have also let some other players play with my cue with the I-3 shaft, and they also reported liking the "feel" of the shaft (feel being a VERY subjective term).

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

fcee06

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the input. Since you have played with both the OB-1 and OB-2 shafts I was wondering if you noticed a change going from the 12.75mm OB-1 to the 11.75mm OB-2? I currently play with the 13mm shaft that came on my McDermott. Just wondering how much adjustment I would have with the OB-2.
Gator I cant speak for the rest of the pool players, but it will be a huge adjustment going from a standard hardrock maple shaft to a low deflection or low squirt shaft. You have to wrap your mind around you will miss a lot of ball until you can trust that the OB shaft will do what is advertised. I waited until I went into a slump, where I just couldnt make a ball then i brought out the OB1 and said I would give it 3 solid months no matter how im playing with it. If at the end of that time I still liked it I would keep it. If I didnt I would sell it. That was about 4 years ago. To answer your question there was a little change in feel. The LD feature is virtually the same. Although the 2 has a small tip diameter, it delivers a stiffer hit with great cue ball action. Man its insane how much more spin the 2 has. Again this is just my humble opinion on this. People have different tastes in shafts, lord knows there are a ton of them out there on the market. I personally think if you give the ob1 or 2 a serious try you will really love how you play with it. GL in your decision.

Big Frank

Dave Mackay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played with both OB-1 shafts and also i2 and i3 shafts on the same butt a mcdermott rs12 all the shafts were matched to the butt by mcdermott and i have to say i do prefer the OB-1 for the performance, but my review is based on the first issue i shafts.

Big C

Deep in the heart of TX.
Silver Member

I have owned the OB1, 314, Z2 and Z and I liked them all. Sold them all, except for the Z which is now up for sale. Back to solid maple and loving it. Save your money.

foxcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 30" ob1 and a 29" ob2 I can switch back and forth and not have to adjust my aim any.I have not tried the MCdermott shaft so I don`t know how they play.I played with a predator shaft for many years and the ob shafts play very close to the predators(aim and spin)I think the ob`s give a little softer hit and more (feel).If you have played with a predator shaft and liked it you will probally like the ob`s.
It`s hard to say about saving for a jacoby cue.Thats up to you and how comfortable you are with your current cue.Pool is kinda like golf.The top players in golf can shoot underpar with about any set of clubs but if they don`t feel comfortable with them they probally won`t be consistant and play there best.

Tbeaux

Angelic Hotdog
Silver Member
Not going to vote but instead offer an alternative. If cost is a consideration why not try the new G-shaft from McDermott? I believe the changes made to the I shafts has been incorporated into the G shaft and at a much lower cost.

Terry

cowboyup200560

Always lookin......
Silver Member
My 2 cents

I voted save for the jacoby. I shoot with a jacoby and I also have an ob-1 in the case for it. If you are looking for a very well built cue at a good price look no further. IMHO LD shafts are just another thing to get us to spend our money on

Irish634

Whatever
Silver Member
The construction of the McDermott I-Shafts has changed some, since Jerry Powers recently became involved with McDermott. The I-Shafts are now constructed according to his guidelines, and are, if I understood him correctly, quite different. Jerry gave me an I-3 shaft to play with (similar to Z2 or OB2 in shaft size and taper), at the SBE last month, and give him a report. I told him I would play with it for 100 hrs, and report back. So far, I've put in about 20-25 hours, and I REALLY like this shaft (I should qualify this with, 1) in 35+ years of playing, I have never liked a small diameter shaft...I usually play with 13mm; and 2) I have played with both the Predator and OB shafts and did not like them at all). I have also let some other players play with my cue with the I-3 shaft, and they also reported liking the "feel" of the shaft (feel being a VERY subjective term).

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I'm sure the new versions are nothing like the first version I shaft I bought. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with them and that others won't like them, just that I didn't care for it personally. I went with the i2 because the dia is 12.75mm instead of the 11.75 i3. I didn't think I would like the smaller shaft either. Maybe I'll stop by my dealer and try a newer version to see the difference. I might find the same thing you did, that I would really like it (the i3 version).

I agree that 'feel' is a very subjective term, but I noticed a world of difference between the std maple shaft and the i2 I have, as far as how it felt and responded to my stroke.

It's still a very good product, though I believe just not for me.

Craig