AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What cue would you get and why?
I have the fever for a new cue.

Last edited:

Big Perm

1pkt 14.1 8 Banks 9 10
Silver Member
Man, that is such a loaded question....you can get a ton of cue for $600....what are you looking for?

Production?
Custom?
Nice older custom wtih some players knicks?
Type of joints/shafts/hit?

snipershot

Go ahead.....run for it.
Silver Member
custom cue? dont know...However you can never go wrong with a Schon! Just my opinion. Lots of options out there for that money though.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I had 600 dollars, I wouldn't get a cue. I have too many already and I don't want to piss off the Misses.

TX BAD BOY

FISH IN SHARK TERRITORY!
Silver Member
600.....hmm?

If I had 600 I would get it into action so that when i got finished I could buy a nice SCHON LTD.....can't go wrong with a limited! Good luck with your search. For the money the Schons are the best IMO....:thumbup:

nksmfamjp

Refugee...
Silver Member
IMO, if I were in for that kind of money, I would be thinking a nice playing cue with points. Probably would only have 1 shaft and no ringwork.

Those Sneaky Pete's looked nice!

JamisonNeu

Mr. Masse
Silver Member
I got an Adams of Japan cue I'll sell for $500 let me know 636-384-0187
This is a great cue for $500

ArtOfTheCue

Matt
Silver Member
$500-$600

*** This turned out a lot longer than I meant it to be, and if you're just looking for specific brand or maker recommendations, read the first paragraph and skip the rest. If you want some thoughts on how to settle on the right cue, the rest may be worth a read. EDIT: You've been on the forums a year -- this is probably a little too off topic, so I'm going to move it to a different thread. If this is your first time buying a good cue, you may want to read it. I think I may have read a few too many "I'm new to pool and want to learn, what should I buy?" threads in the past few days and it's clouding my thought process. Sorry for the hijack there.

To answer your question, I've got a cue on order with Doug Patrick, but it seems pretty rare for somebody to have one for sale and he's got a bit of a waiting list. If you can stretch a little, TWOFORPOOL has a Capone for sale at $725 that's amazing.***

You're going to get a lot of responses that say "go buy a cheap Joss/Schon/Mcdermott/Predator/etc" or "check out Varney/Sly/Ratt/LP/Crown/etc," and my biggest advice to you is to listen to them and let them point you in a starting direction, but don't just run out and buy what people tell you to. Different cues suit different people -- there are lots of different feels and hits, and your game isn't the same as mine or the poster's above or below me. What works any for us may not be right for you. If you take the time to find a cue that's well-suited to you, you'll be much happier with it in the long run, and you'll probably keep it longer before you get the fever again than if you just buy the one with the most votes.

Last edited:

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would look for an pre 2000 6 point coker. Take the extra money and buy a nice case. You should be able to do a cue and a case for $600 or less.

sarahrousey

pro player
Silver Member
Definitely if you want a production cue and are interested in trying out low deflection shafts check out Mezz. They offer a lot of cues within that price range. There are three different types of shafts you can choose from. It is worth it to get the cue just for the technology. Plus, you can either buy a full cue for $300-$600 or just the shaft for around $290. I think a lot of people would be pleasantly surprised by how these cues play. They are kind of just making their way around the US and Canada.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Sarah

LC3

Playing the table
Silver Member
I agree with Art's post. I'd just add that you should decide at the outset whether feel, aesthetics, or collecting is your priority. Knowing this will keep you focused.

$500-600 can be a tricky spot. You'll find many custom plain janes for around $400, but there are also plenty of makers approaching $1,000 for a plain jane. If the cue that speaks to you belongs to the latter, settling for a $400 cue will probably just leave you dreaming about that ideal one.

In the production cue market, any brand is within reach and leaves money for a case or table time.

Last edited:

Michael-Hoang

Omega Billiards
Silver Member
If you buy to play regularly, then get any cue that "feels" the best in your hand. A cue is only as good as how much YOU like it.

If you won't play much with it or don't care much about how it plays, then get the Verl Horn (somebody mentioned that Fast-N-Loose is selling one for this price range). It's hard to lose with a Horn in this price range.

maldito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What cue would you get and why?
I have the fever for a new cue.

Troy Downey - hit with one today - guy in the rm bought one - nice hit - problem with Meuller's that they should ship signature required as the guy was out in am then when he returned home the cue leaning against the door .

tpdtom

Really Old School
Silver Member
Lots of good advice so far, but if it were me I KNOW what I'd do ! I'd run not walk to see if the cocobolo Jeff Olney cue in the Wanted/For Sale section suited me and was still for sale for $450. I guarantee you that it's a monster player coz all Jeff's cues are. No, I don't know the seller, just the quality of the cuemaker's work. It's possibly the best advice you've had all year, but you know what they say about free advice...Tom

"Free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it."....Abraham Lincoln