Ideas for getting smoke out of cue wraps

gatorcc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone have any great ideas to get the smell of cigarette smoke out of the wrap of a cue?
Is it easier to get the smell out of leather wraps then Irish Linen?

I sometimes play in pool halls where they allow smoking and most of the tournaments in my area allow smoking. I am kinda allergic to the smoke and put up with it while I play but when I get home my cues, especially the wraps, smell like cigarette smoke.

I already have a special case that I use only when I go to a pool hall that allows smoking. I would prefer not to have to get a new cue without a wrap just to use when playing pool halls that allowing smoking, though that is not out of the question....A new Keith Josey would be nice :)

Thanks in advance

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
A few years ago, I bought a cue that had a linen wrap that smelled of smoke. I sprayed carpet cleaner on a paper towel and wiped it down, going with the grain of the thread, seemed to work ok and cleaned it, too.
:p

supergreenman

truly addicted
Silver Member
fabreeze...................... really

disclaimer..... I got a cue in the mail that smelled of smoke and mildew. Sprayed with fabreeze. I didn't notice any side effects to the cue, but I wouldn't want someone to damage their cue on my advice. use at your own risk, because it worked for me doesn't mean it won't do damage to another cue.

Last edited:

Falcon Eddie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't listen to any of these people who suggest cleaners/masks. I'd try burying the cue in unused ground coffee.

dld

Now I have to ask , how long does it have to be buried. And after resurrection , can I still use the coffee or will it taste like an ash tray..lol
funny part is I'm serious about the first question .

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
easy!

The best way to clean your shaft or your wrap is wth clear hand sanitizer. I keep a small bottle in my bag, it will take all the chalk out of your shaft and because it is alcohol based, it dry's right away. get cheap bottle with out any moisturizer.

cornerstone

Psalm 91:15
Silver Member
soak the butt end in mineral spirits for 3 nights, then put in the dryer on gentle cycle for 30 min and use downey fabric softner!

cornerstone

Psalm 91:15
Silver Member
lust kidding, you can get a bag that the detailers use in card to remove the smell, some kind of ozone bag, and put it in a air tight box for 2 days . it worked for me! sorry bout the last post , couldnt resist!

TNKen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Small ozone generator if you can find one. That's what the smoke professionals use.

Bigjohn

Support Our Troops!
Silver Member
I agree with the earlier post of Bounce dryer sheets. Use about 10 or 12 of them and tape them around the wrap (not to the wrap) and leave them on there for a couple of days. also works inside your case... and shoes... also fleas, ticks and mice hate um.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member

I can sympathize with you. The smoke not only gets into the wrap but it seemed to get into the wood. The other is the case. After out playing I would take the cues out of my case and leave the case outside. Didn't want to do that with the cue. Also after taking off my clothes I would throw them outside to air out before putting them in the laundry basket. Smoking has been banded in bars in our state so that now helps.

I think anything you do except for airing it out just masks the odor. Sometimes it makes it worst as it seems to "seal" it in.