Ridge formed between slate pieces help.....

gatorcc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had the chance to play on my table today for the first time in a couple of months following knee surgery and there was a small ridge that had formed almost all the way across the table where two pieces of slate come together. Two years ago I had the table moved, leveled and had Simonis 860 installed. Is there anything I can do other than having a table mechanic come out, pull the cloth off and scrape the wax ridge away?

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
So long as it is just a wax ridge that has formed, and not actually the edge of the slate that you are feeling, you may be able to do a quick fix to knock the ridge back down.

Try to find something hard and smooth, maybe a glass jar, wooden dowel, or a block of something, and rub it across the ridge. Whatever material you use should be clean, and free of sharp edges, so as to avoid damaging the cloth. Keep in mind, this is not an ideal fix, but may get you back up and playing without having to pay a mechanic.

You should also understand that the wax ridge was likely caused by the slates shifting somehow. It could have been the result of a poor install, humidity change, weak frame, or any number of other things. If the slates are off-level, knocking down the wax ridge will only fix part of the problem.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
So long as it is just a wax ridge that has formed, and not actually the edge of the slate that you are feeling, you may be able to do a quick fix to knock the ridge back down.

Try to find something hard and smooth, maybe a glass jar, wooden dowel, or a block of something, and rub it across the ridge. Whatever material you use should be clean, and free of sharp edges, so as to avoid damaging the cloth. Keep in mind, this is not an ideal fix, but may get you back up and playing without having to pay a mechanic.

You should also understand that the wax ridge was likely caused by the slates shifting somehow. It could have been the result of a poor install, humidity change, weak frame, or any number of other things. If the slates are off-level, knocking down the wax ridge will only fix part of the problem.

It happens when the slates are put together and there's a slight gap between the slates. In time the frame shrinks from drying out so to speak and it pulls the slates together tighter, which in turn forces the wax out from between the seams.