Morra converting to southpaw !?!?

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://www.azbilliards.com/news/stories/14238-day-two-sees-first-international-open-eliminations/
"In the final match of the night, recently converted southpaw John Morra took on Brandon Shuff. Morra had considered quitting the game due to physical issues related to his left eye dominance. Instead of quitting though, he converted in May to shooting the majority of his shots left handed. (He still breaks right handed). While Morra considers his game to be about 70% of what it used to be, that was just enough to earn him an 11-9 win over Shuff."

I never heard of a player switching cue-arms, have you?
What 'physical issues related to left eye dominance' could they be talking about?

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://www.azbilliards.com/news/stories/14238-day-two-sees-first-international-open-eliminations/
"In the final match of the night, recently converted southpaw John Morra took on Brandon Shuff. Morra had considered quitting the game due to physical issues related to his left eye dominance. Instead of quitting though, he converted in May to shooting the majority of his shots left handed. (He still breaks right handed). While Morra considers his game to be about 70% of what it used to be, that was just enough to earn him an 11-9 win over Shuff."

What 'physical issues related to left eye dominance' could they be talking about?

I like watching him shoot. I played against him in a fundraiser doubles match late last year. He's got great fundamentals and know his stuff. I was glad he won the Canadian Open after switching to his left hand.

I do not subscribe to eye dominance though. I know lots of players who do. Especially some of my friends. But I firmly believe the brain automatically compensates for this when you are down aiming. I have read some books also which backs my theory. Your automatic mental processing had adapted to your eye dominance see you were a kid. I don't think it's as big a deal as people make it out to be.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That's been going on for a while now with Morra trying to make that switch to playing left handed due to the physical issues you described, and it must be very hard for a pro level player to make that transition. However, he did lose in his next match vs Cory Deuel.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If someone is really high level on anything - he can learn it really fast to get good with opposite hand too. I read this statement years ago and I believe it. Tested it little now.
I am strong(IMHO :D) amateur player and played little more than one week now snooker with left hand only. I made 95 from line up drill and 61 on game practice.:eek:(if you compare..I have playing 20 years right handed :D)

OFC I have doing left hand practice earlier sometimes but not really dedicated one. Hour maybe per week or two.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your correct sir!

Cecil Tugwell.

I believe he switched after he injured his right arm in a car wreck. Someone will correct me if I’m wrong about that.

Cecil righty and lefty...

I met Cecil after he switched and he was almost unbeatable in One Pocket. He played all the games at a top speed and would play anybody without hesitation.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If someone is really high level on anything - he can learn it really fast to get good with opposite hand too. I read this statement years ago and I believe it. Tested it little now.
I am strong(IMHO :D) amateur player and played little more than one week now snooker with left hand only. I made 95 from line up drill and 61 on game practice.:eek:(if you compare..I have playing 20 years right handed :D)

OFC I have doing left hand practice earlier sometimes but not really dedicated one. Hour maybe per week or two.

Actually practicing pool/snooker/whatever with your non-dominant hand is recommended for improving the cooperation of both brain hemispheres, it wont hurt you so to speak ;):thumbup: ;)

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's been going on for a while now with Morra trying to make that switch to playing left handed due to the physical issues you described, and it must be very hard for a pro level player to make that transition. However, he did lose in his next match vs Cory Deuel.

I have seen many good players using their opposite arm for a single shot, to avoid having to overstretch or having to use the bridge. The better the player, the more confident they seem switching between arms.
So that makes me think: the better a player you are, the easier it must be to make that transition.

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not subscribe to eye dominance though. I know lots of players who do. Especially some of my friends. But I firmly believe the brain automatically compensates for this when you are down aiming. I have read some books also which backs my theory. Your automatic mental processing had adapted to your eye dominance see you were a kid. I don't think it's as big a deal as people make it out to be.
That's an interesting statement. So you are saying a player can just always hold his head with his chin above the cue, and the brain will compensate?

There are quite some players that have their heads off to one side, some just a bit but others quite a bit (e.g. Niels Feijen, Albin Ouschan). I just don't think they consciously chose to play like that. They automatically (subconsciously) do so because it gives them proper alignment.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
That's an interesting statement. So you are saying a player can just always hold his head with his chin above the cue, and the brain will compensate?

There are quite some players that have their heads off to one side, some just a bit but others quite a bit (e.g. Niels Feijen, Albin Ouschan). I just don't think they consciously chose to play like that. They automatically (subconsciously) do so because it gives them proper alignment.

Won’t speak for others and I may be one of few who believe that but

Yes the brain can relearn it no problem most sightings used are just what the players first started doing originally and habits over time.... I’ve personally taught players that have went to centered up...initially urges to adjust were strong but dissipated quickly

Sure there are also those who have physical issues with their eyes that would make them favor a particular alignment.

If earl wanted to he could learn to center up and lose the crank delivery....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He will eventually give up the game entirely, or switch back to rightie I predict. The psychological warefare going on in his brain has to be overwhelming, or it at least would be for me. Can you imagine playing at his level, where the difference between winning and losing could be making or missing a single ball and knowing that he's playing even just 10% worse with his left hand? After every close loss, he could rightfully conclude that he would have won playing right-handed. That's brutal.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He will eventually give up the game entirely, or switch back to rightie I predict. The psychological warefare going on in his brain has to be overwhelming, or it at least would be for me. Can you imagine playing at his level, where the difference between winning and losing could be making or missing a single ball and knowing that he's playing even just 10% worse with his left hand? After every close loss, he could rightfully conclude that he would have won playing right-handed. That's brutal.
I disagree. As good as he's already gotten playing left-handed and still only like 30 years old, no reason to believe he can't keep improving, without the physical side effects playing right-handed was causing him. I don't think he would have made the switch unless he was confident that in the long run it could make him a better player. Not to say it will be easy, but I don't think he would have stuck with it this far in to the transition unless he was fully committed.

Last edited:

hitman22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It depends how bad you want it. For someone like him I believe there is no can do..I like to watch lefties as they are gifted in this cock eyed world that tries to clone you from a young age on to be right handed..

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I agree. He was completely world class before he switched to his left hand. He is very good now, but not at his previous level right handed.

I think he should go back to shooting with his right hand and do some type of exercises to loosen up his neck, perhaps realign himself to his right eye a bit more, or just deal with the physical pain.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I disagree. As good as he's already gotten playing left-handed and still only like 30 years old, no reason to believe he can't keep improving, without the physical side effects playing right-handed was causing him. I don't think he would have made the switch unless he was confident that in the long run it could make him a better player. Not to say it will be easy, but I don't think he would have stuck with it this far in to the transition unless he was fully committed.

I agree. He was completely world class before he switched to his left hand. He is very good now, but not at his previous level right handed.

I think he should go back to shooting with his right hand and do some type of exercises to loosen up his neck, perhaps realign himself to his right eye a bit more, or just deal with the physical pain.

Hey -- I hope I'm wrong. I do enjoy watching him play. I'm amazed how well he can play left handed but at some point he will have to be convinced that he plays as good or better lefty or the doubt will creep in.