9-Ball ghost challenge on my new Diamond 9 footer

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm thinking 1.75 inches. What do you think? Also the ball return is loud and not quiet like the Diamond tables at the Breakroomin Duluth MN.

I measured mine the way you did and mine is dead on 2".

If yours is really 1/4" short, I would call diamond and discuss it with them.

Aaron is good to deal with.

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm thinking 1.75 inches. What do you think? Also the ball return is loud and not quiet like the Diamond tables at the Breakroomin Duluth MN.

It looks like you may have the rule pulled in to the pocket by a hair....not sure but, check again to make sure.

Jeff

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Draw a STRAIGHT line from point-to-point, then from center of that line to drop-off. Its 2". I just measured the ProAm at the poolroom. Its EXACTLY 2".

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't read the whole thread, but I watched your video. The ghost is a measure of a good player, but not a great player. A solid A speed player should beat the ghost well over half the time. Something like a 680 Fargo. It sounds like you might be in that speed range.

Were the balls used in your video also new? They look like brand new Aramith Tournament Set. My best Ghost performance by far was I won 7-2. I did it with old Simonis, but brand new out of the box Cyclop balls. Using the new balls was almost like using brand new Simonis. Having both brand new, I can only imagine how the balls rolled.

A TOP Pro, Neils, beat the 9 ball ghost something like 100 games won to 20 games lost, on video. I believe he did it on a broken in table and old balls.

In summary, us lesser players love when we beat the ghost once in a long blue moon. For you, you should switch to the "Pro" 9 ball ghost in our thread, or the 10 ball ghost:)

Scott Brazier

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't read the whole thread, but I watched your video. The ghost is a measure of a good player, but not a great player. A solid A speed player should beat the ghost well over half the time. Something like a 680 Fargo. It sounds like you might be in that speed range.

Were the balls used in your video also new? They look like brand new Aramith Tournament Set. My best Ghost performance by far was I won 7-2. I did it with old Simonis, but brand new out of the box Cyclop balls. Using the new balls was almost like using brand new Simonis. Having both brand new, I can only imagine how the balls rolled.

A TOP Pro, Neils, beat the 9 ball ghost something like 100 games won to 20 games lost, on video. I believe he did it on a broken in table and old balls.

In summary, us lesser players love when we beat the ghost once in a long blue moon. For you, you should switch to the "Pro" 9 ball ghost in our thread, or the 10 ball ghost:)

Every time I finish playing I throw my balls in my ball polisher ffg or 10-15 minutes so the next day the are ready to use freshly polished.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Overhead shot.

The shelf on my corners are exactly 2". I remember measuring them when I first got the table.

Well, just keep in mind, the base of that ball is exactly 1 1/8" from the outer edge of the ball. If you ACTUALLY had 2" of slate inside the jaws of the pocket that the ball could sit on....there would be NO edge of the ball to be seen, or hit looking down the rails. As it is, you're showing about 40% of the ball is available to be hit with the cue ball.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every time I finish playing I throw my balls in my ball polisher ffg or 10-15 minutes so the next day the are ready to use freshly polished.
So?? You walk in a room that hasn't cleaned balls since Nixon was president. Can you still play your normal speed?

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So?? You walk in a room that hasn't cleaned balls since Nixon was president. Can you still play your normal speed?

I know your not asking me but, I can...or at least can when healthy.

The balls not being clean only makes it different, not harder.

Most think polished balls makes everything easier. Well, it does make pockets except balls better but, what about the angle a very slick ob leaves a rail compared to an unpolished ball?

In my experience, the polished ob will most certainly go long and the unpolished (but still clean) will go "where it should".....all the way to.....a little short depending on how dirty (not just unpolished) they are.

I'm expecting him to say he has a similar experience.

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, just keep in mind, the base of that ball is exactly 1 1/8" from the outer edge of the ball. If you ACTUALLY had 2" of slate inside the jaws of the pocket that the ball could sit on....there would be NO edge of the ball to be seen, or hit looking down the rails. As it is, you're showing about 40% of the ball is available to be hit with the cue ball.

Yes sir, I understand what your saying.

I think some are confused.

I don't measure from center of pocket. I measure from center of where the ball is setting up against the facing.

If you measure at that point you will get 2 1/8" to 2/14",.....didn't have my glasses on...lol. but, its definitely 2" or more where I placed the 10 ball on my table.

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I checked at center pocket.

Well, it looks to 1 3/4" at center pocket on my table.

Jeff

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just measured three ProCut Diamonds. From center of a line between pocket points to drop-off is 2" on all three. With a ball against facing you can see approx. 40% of ball when looking down the rail.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just measured three ProCut Diamonds. From center of a line between pocket points to drop-off is 2" on all three. With a ball against facing you can see approx. 40% of ball when looking down the rail.

Since the pocket is not cut straight across and parallel compared to "tit to tit"....the center of the pocket can't be as deep as the far sides of the pocket.

The pockets are cut in-toward the slate, not straight across.

Glenn is correct.

Diamonds aren't 2" deep at center pocket....not possible if the ob can be seen.

Jeff

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Everyone is so fixated on the pocket shelf depth in the center of the pocket, the most shallow area. The sides of the corner pocket is the most hardest. The wider this area of a corner pocket, the more the slate shelf can support a deeper base of ball.

The tighter the pocket, the less the slate shelf on the sides for balls to sit, but tight pockets have no change in the center pocket slate shelf. For the most part, when a ball hangs up in a corner pocket, the balls come to rest against, or near the pocket facings, the deepest part of the shelf.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hey Glenn,

Didn't diamond have an issue with the shelves being "to deep" and have to change them because pros were complaining about it?

You may have been the one that told me that.

Jeff

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Hey Glenn,

Didn't diamond have an issue with the shelves being "to deep" and have to change them because pros were complaining about it?

You may have been the one that told me that.

Jeff
Yes, with the first 7fts we built. A ball could sit so far back in a corner pocket that if the cue ball was frozen to the rail, you couldn't see the ball in the corner pocket to hit it.

Scott Brazier

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mine must be 2 inches deep because when I freeze the ball against the face and back as close to the edge as possible and look down the rail, less than half the ball is exposed. It looks like it could be 40% exposed and 60% hidden. I'll play some 14-1 this weekend and see how I do.

Thanks everyone, the conversations have been very helpful. However, my table returns the balls 3 times faster than the Diamonds at the pool hall and its loud, if you didn't notice from my video. One of Diamonds selling points is how quiet the ball return is and mine is loud as f$@k.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Mine must be 2 inches deep because when I freeze the ball against the face and back as close to the edge as possible and look down the rail, less than half the ball is exposed. It looks like it could be 40% exposed and 60% hidden. I'll play some 14-1 this weekend and see how I do.

Thanks everyone, the conversations have been very helpful. However, my table returns the balls 3 times faster than the Diamonds at the pool hall and its loud, if you didn't notice from my video. One of Diamonds selling points is how quiet the ball return is and mine is loud as f$@k.

Return is faster with the ProAm, and the sound is more noticeable because the table is in a small room compared to a pool hall which has plenty of room for the sound to disperse.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Return is faster with the ProAm, and the sound is more noticeable because the table is in a small room compared to a pool hall which has plenty of room for the sound to disperse.

Correct on both accounts.

The pro-ams ball return can be muted but, I think it's a good bit of work to do the job.

Glenn, would you shed some light on what it would take to make it quiet as possible?

Can't remember who it was but, some said that had a pro-am that you barely could hear because they lined everything with cloth or something:shrug:

Jeff

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Correct on both accounts.

The pro-ams ball return can be muted but, I think it's a good bit of work to do the job.

Glenn, would you shed some light on what it would take to make it quiet as possible?

Can't remember who it was but, some said that had a pro-am that you barely could hear because they lined everything with cloth or something:shrug:

Jeff

All the ProAms ball returns are lined with neoprene everywhere the balls roll, except down pocket return tracks. So, to sound proof, what's making the sound needs to be identified first.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All the ProAms ball returns are lined with neoprene everywhere the balls roll, except down pocket return tracks. So, to sound proof, what's making the sound needs to be identified first.

Hmmm,

I'll have to pay more attention and see if I can even tell.

Maybe the OP or someone else will do the same.

Thanks,

Jeff