Carbon Fiber at Mosconi Cup

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you play better with a carbon fiber shaft, then it's a good idea to use it. If you don't, then you would not. I play better with one most of the time so I tend to use the Revo more than other shafts I have.

It's a myth that any shaft will make someone play better, it's only true if that specific person can play better with some specific shaft. I can get more spin with pocketing balls better when I use the Revo so I use it. It also seems to help me shoot over a ball straighter.

No buddy says it will make you better but the people that hate them and hate change lol I’ve never heard anyone claim they were terrible and got a revo and started running racks . That’s what all the close minded old men who hate change on here will say to put them down. It’s just a different hit then a wood shaft. Lol That’s it! If you like the different hit great! If you don’t then play with something else!

JUST A REMINDER

Attachments

• 86F43C90-D748-4F46-B995-8B0E1B50B623.jpg
    86F43C90-D748-4F46-B995-8B0E1B50B623.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 237

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
People are always hyping the latest gimmick that is going to change the sports world. This is mostly for one reason it is because they or some pal has a financial intrest in the product. MONEY IN THEIR POCKET.

When your game be it Pool, Golf, Tennis, or fill in the blank, gets to a Professional Level. Then maybe the latest greatest gizmo might inprove it that fraction to make a difference in making you Suoper pro. Like Tiger Woods is in Golf:smile: BTW Tiger works real hard to stay great, as it not a magic pill he swallow before each Tournment, it's work.:smile:

Bottom line, Tiger Woods is not going to win many championships with my clubs, is he? I have a really old set, as I don't golf much, but just have a set for the few times I do. THey are probably 30 years old. How many strokes do you think it will cost him using my irons in a match? 3,4, maybe more ? I dunno, but I bet he would never take the chance.

What about if baseball players used the same gloves as Babe Ruth? Do you think they'd commit more or fewer errors ? asking for a friend ;)

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
People are always hyping the latest gimmick that is going to change the sports world. This is mostly for one reason it is because they or some pal has a financial intrest in the product. MONEY IN THEIR POCKET.

When your game be it Pool, Golf, Tennis, or fill in the blank, gets to a Professional Level. Then maybe the latest greatest gizmo might inprove it that fraction to make a difference in making you Suoper pro. Like Tiger Woods is in Golf:smile: BTW Tiger works real hard to stay great, as it not a magic pill he swallow before each Tournment, it's work.:smile:

There is this fellow on AZB who sells and Aiming System DVD that is told to be the key to making anyone a great player. Tournment winner, world class player.

So someone list the name, or names of buyers of the Aiming System who have improved and become TOUR PROFESSIONALS, make a fabulous living off of Pool because they now know how to aim thank to this secret aiming system.

Think I made my point about gimmicks like Bass Lures, that Catch more Fisherman, then Trophy Bass.

Tyler Styer

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tiger woods would play great with any clubs

Yes but not as good as with clubs he plays best with. "Most" skill is in the player, but equipment makes a difference, enough that it can easily make a difference of a win vs a loss. Otherwise snipers would not spend hours prepping their weapons and ammunition, hockey players would not have specific sticks for their use, baseball players would be using the same size and shape mitt to catch, etc... Many races are won by fractions of a second, those suits for swimming that people were saying were too good, new shoes for running, all equipment based only to improve performance.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm all for technology.

I used a Predator for 15 years. It helped me learn about deflection when I would try a standard shaft. But, to me, the hit was missing. The feedback. It feels dead.

I quit playing for a while and started back with a normal shaft. I play with an 80s JOSS and original shaft and a layered tip that I really like (unfortunately I'm not quite sure what it is...LOL...so whenever it needs changing I'm going to have to experiment). The shaft is a log...but has a lot of power. I like the taper. It certainly deflects, but it worked well for Sigel and Varner in their hey day. I'm playing pretty well with it now. You keep playing and will automatically adjust for deflection. I can use all spins...and miss about as much as I did with a Predator...I'm a C player.

I do agree that the great thing about CF shafts is if one messes up...the other will play the same. Two maple shafts, same taper, etc...may play and feel completely different in terms of squirt, etc.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bottom line, Tiger Woods is not going to win many championships with my clubs, is he? I have a really old set, as I don't golf much, but just have a set for the few times I do. THey are probably 30 years old. How many strokes do you think it will cost him using my irons in a match? 3,4, maybe more ? I dunno, but I bet he would never take the chance.

What about if baseball players used the same gloves as Babe Ruth? Do you think they'd commit more or fewer errors ? asking for a friend ;)

If you want to make the comparison to golf clubs amateurs unless they are a low handy cap use cavity back clubs. They don’t go quite as far and it’s harder to shape a shot but they have a huge sweet spot so it’s easier to hit straight. Pro’s use forged clubs because they have the perfect swing to do so.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Remember when Tiger struggled using the nike clubs because they were sponsoring him? I do they were garbage and he lost quite a few strokes because of it... I do.

I even remember earl saying that because he played cuetec all those years he was sponsored it held him back ..but that could just earl being earl lol

Last edited:

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love the bitter, trolling, get-off-my-lawn post that ends in “Happy Thanksgiving.” :rolleyes:
The only bitterness I've seen is in your sarcastic and utterly pointless example of you wanting to say something negative. "Do not speak unless you cannot improve the silence."

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only bitterness I've seen is in your sarcastic and utterly pointless example of you wanting to say something negative. "Do not speak unless you cannot improve the silence."

Awwwww are you upset because his post was on point lol. It was a trolling post. Just a post to put something down because you don’t like it. Thats being a troll.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Remember when Tiger struggled using the nike clubs because they were sponsoring him? I do they were garbage and he lost quite a few strokes because of it... I do.

I even remember earl saying that because he played cuetec all those years he was sponsored it held him back ..but that could just earl being earl lol
Tiger won using Nike clubs. They weren't the problem. Far from garbage. Custom made at the "Oven" in Ft. Worth by T. Stites who was the top guy at Hogan. Whoever told you they were garbage doesn't know much about golf. There are still pros using their Nike irons 'cause they were some of the best ever. A little off-topic there, sorry just had to put it in.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Technically, if next year has the same 10 players there will most likely be 5 CF shafts as shooters. Sky will be using one as he is in the process of switching, just wasn't comfortable enough yet to use at Mosconi. Filler only went back to z3 because of diameter and said of Revo comes out in 11.75mm be will use that.

On a side note, if gorst replaces Alex or kaci, it could be 6 out of 10 next year.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I noticed only 3 of 10 players are using CF for their playing cue, Thorpe, Styer, and SVB. Not talking about break cues here or LD maple, only CF for playing cues.
Seems it would be a gentlemanly gesture if some of the CF proponents here on Az would enlighten these folks to the benefits of CF, to both teams, and about how it would add a ball or 2 to their game.
I've watched every match so far and can only imagine the level of play I would witness if they all used CF.
Of course they could possibly be real hard-headed like me and use only maple.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.

SVB and Styer get paid to use those shafts. I was watching the Thorpe SVB match at Steinway and Thorpe after the match, after he blew a Hill Hill run out, started complaining about the shaft that it gets too much draw. This is exactly what I see with these shafts, but when I bring it up everybody just tells me, no no no no.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SVB and Styer get paid to use those shafts. I was watching the Thorpe SVB match at Steinway and Thorpe after the match, after he blew a Hill Hill run out, started complaining about the shaft that it gets too much draw. This is exactly what I see with these shafts, but when I bring it up everybody just tells me, no no no no.

"too much draw", I think that is the whole point of those shafts, to move the cueball easier. So it's a win. Which is why I like using the Revo, I can get more action will less force and it keeps the cueball on line of the shot better without as much side moving. On the other side, due to that I have a harder time with masse shots with a Revo shaft.

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
Let’s stop pretending anyone thinks a CF shaft will make the ball for you or get you in shape easier. Or if anyone does go that far, can’t we just assume they don’t know what they’re talking about and ignore them? Setting up a mock argument with them is like arguing with the village idiot in town square. It just looks like two idiots arguing to everyone else.

The truth about CF is this. If you’re into low deflection, they do it better than all wood shafts in the market unless you really special order something custom. But deflection is part of tuning your game. It’d be dumb for a veteran pro to switch at that stage of his career. But an up and comer like Tyler has his pick of equipment this early in his career. And like Tyler says, he can trust that if his one CF shaft needs a tip replaced then he can use his backup CF shaft and be certain it will play the same as his main because CF is more consistent between shafts. And finally the fact it won’t ding is nice too.

Those are all differentiating value aspects of CF. None of which will make a ball for you. But they will convince some to open their wallets for one. And some don’t need to open their wallets if they they’re happy with what they have. I know this gets a bit “us vs. them” / “tradition vs. new” but there’s no need to dwell in the exaggerations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a carbon fiber and two low deflection maple shafts. To me there is no difference in the deflection. Even if there was, both shafts have deflection on a hard hit anyway. One only needs to play with the shaft enough to subconsciously know how much to compensate for.

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
"too much draw", I think that is the whole point of those shafts, to move the cueball easier. So it's a win. Which is why I like using the Revo, I can get more action will less force and it keeps the cueball on line of the shot better without as much side moving. On the other side, due to that I have a harder time with masse shots with a Revo shaft.

Too much draw is directly proportional to how low is the hit, speed of hit and levelness of cue. Adjustments will alter the amount of draw. Sideways movement depends on how off center the hit is and the angle of the object ball. Of course the stroke must be exactly straight in order to get the desired outcome.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Carbon fiber tip scuffer. Lighter to save energy for your playing arm. Make 10 more balls over a long night. Of course it has to have a huge glowing neon predator logo on it. Buy it before it's back ordered until 2022.

Do you have a link?

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

Oh, he'd play great. Would he play as the best in the world and win tournaments with a club he is unfamiliar with and the weights are off, the grips are crappy, and the length is too small ? I dunno. I play better with a nice cue (clean, good tip and my preferred weight) than a house cue, just saying :)

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a carbon fiber and two low deflection maple shafts. To me there is no difference in the deflection. Even if there was, both shafts have deflection on a hard hit anyway. One only needs to play with the shaft enough to subconsciously know how much to compensate for.

I agree that sticking with a shaft can tune your mind/body to compensate for whatever the difference is. Just like an IPA drinker can be a “hop head”, a pool player can be a “low deflection head”. If someone seeks out the least deflection for their own preference, all testing I’ve seen shows for example a 12.4mm Revo edging out a Z3 by the tiniest margins but noticeably better than a 314 or Vantage. I know these tests can be flawed as sometimes a bit of inconsistent masse gets in the results. But the outcomes appear consistent as I look around the web.

https://vimeo.com/174302039

https://youtu.be/AwytGsNl2vc

I shot with a Revo 12.4 for two years now. Obviously grabbing a house cue off the walk I’ve seen a crippling difference in deflection. I just bought a Cuetec Cynergy 15K and it’s quite close but I could tell the thin cuts with spin I missed because of deflection. It came up once in about every 5 racks I played. I’ll admit I haven’t played with a Z3 so I’ll acknowledge that specific difference might be more trivial than the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro