How to guage if table plays long or short?

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello guys,

I recently had my GC installed with royal pro. The table plays very nice. I am trying to understand if the table would be described as playing long, short or "true". What are a couple paths I can shoot a ball around table to gauge how it plays?

Thanks,
Ian

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the Bob Byrne books had an exercise that was recommended - I'll try to find it.

I usually shoot the three rails around from corner to corner and see how it falls on the target corner. Either just right, up the long rail, or up the short rail.

By the way, who recovered your table for you and what was the total cost for cloth and labor?

Attachments

• rails.gif
    rails.gif
    6.3 KB · Views: 436

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the Bob Byrne books had an exercise that was recommended - I'll try to find it.

I usually shoot the three rails around from corner to corner and see how it falls on the target corner. Either just right, up the long rail, or up the short rail.

By the way, who recovered your table for you and what was the total cost for cloth and labor?

Thanks for the post. This diagram shows shooting through the 3rd diamond. There seems to be a bit of discrepancy on this point depending on who is explaining the system. In some of these 3 rail systems it shows through the 2nd diamond, others show the 3rd. What is the accepted standard for a billiard table. Shooting through 2nd or 3rd to go to the corner?

Jack Zimmerman and Todd setup the table. I don't know the cost as I had 2 tables moved and covered at the same time.

Ian

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
On new cloth through the third diamond from 5 should go to close to the corner. Of course that's with a moderate amount of running follow. Where does the ball go on your table? Also, you should try all four directions for the shot.

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On new cloth through the third diamond from 5 should go to close to the corner. Of course that's with a moderate amount of running follow. Where does the ball go on your table? Also, you should try all four directions for the shot.

Bob, thanks for response. Tested as you described, shooting through the 3rd diamond hits about 2" from the corner on the short rail. This is consistent from all corners.

dan bennicas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dan-0-meter

dano-meter.jpg This device tells me if a table or table surface plays long or short. I use this to adjust my synthetic billiard surface ( Syn-Surf 7 ) to replicate new carom cloth.