25 Advanced Game-Winning Pool Shots – BU Exam III

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Billiard University (BU) just released a third installment in the playing-ability Exam series: BU Exam III (Advanced Shots). It consists of 25 challenging and advanced pool shots that are fun to practice and can help you get out of jams and win games. Shot diagrams, instructions, and a score sheet can be found under "Exam III" here:

Billiard University Playing-Ability Exams

A video demonstration of all of the shots in the Exam is available here:

25 Advanced Game-Winning Pool Shots – BU Exam III

Enjoy,
Dave

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am curious to find out what you guys think about the video. In particular, I would like to know what you guys think are:

- the 5 most difficult of the 25 shots (listing them by number and/or name).

- your top 3 favorite shots of the 25.

Also, I am hoping people will try out the the Exam. Again, the Exam document and score sheet are available under "Exam III" here.

Thank you for your input, enjoy the video, and have fun with the shots,
Dave

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks good. One of my favorite examples of one of these shots in a game was Mike Dechaine:

-DpP-o.gif

Actually it might be interesting to collect examples of people using some of these shots in game situations.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Looks good. One of my favorite examples of one of these shots in a game was Mike Dechaine:

-DpP-o.gif

Actually it might be interesting to collect examples of people using some of these shots in game situations.
That’s a great idea. The Corey Deuel draw shot is easy to find. Many of the others will take lots of searching and video surfing. I’ll try to keep an eye out for shots going forward. If you or others can find some, please post them.

Thanks,
Dave

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hadn’t seen shot 14 (inside across the table), and I miserably failed on the couple times I tried it.

I also couldn’t do shot 5 (banana shot) even after several tries. I can do that shot easily when the first ball is in the pocket, I suppose because the pocket gets the ball out of the way so you can hit it more full. But i couldn’t do it with the ball frozen on the rail.

It looked like you had trouble with shot 11 (draw back to hit cluster), barely hiring it, so I tried and also could barely hit it. In contrast the shot 10 with inside follow is super easy, and it looked easy for you on the video.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great list! I've used most of those before and they are definitely handy.

One shot I've used a few times in tournaments that wasn't on the list is jumping the object ball over the edge of a ball close to it that is partly obscuring its path to the pocket.

Imotv8u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Awesome!

I haven’t had a chance to try these shots but I can go ahead and tell you the toughest shots for me are the masse shots, the banana shot, and the jump draw shot. My favorites are the hopping the cue ball off the rail shots and the shot in which the cue ball hopped over the two balls to get shape down the table. Thank you and your cohorts for all you do to help others like myself improve their game.

Benward452

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave, not to criticize your other BU exams, but I think you did something different with this one that is going to garner more response and excitement.

These are fun.

As much as the drills in your older exams are undeniably helpful if applied and practiced, this exam is fun.

The shots are difficult, but the satisfaction of learning and making them is exponetially higher than having to play perfect in the drills X number of times.

Content like this is engaging and exciting. With this video and your previous one, I think you have found a niche in pool; educational and exciting, which I think some of your past content has lacked.

With all that being said, I still think your referee video is the best pool video on the internet.

-Ben

All your content is great, but if you are looking for better views and engagement, I think you have found a sweet spot!

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You just gave up all my secret weapons!

/jk

Great vid. I have practiced all these shots a lot when I was young. Many of my competitors called me {Finnish language terms) bankmaster, or special man for special shots.
Gotta try this one when have time(and maybe refresh my skills on these shots).

Thanks again Dave.

P. S my only concern is that some of these shots need really good cloth/fast table. Have to try it before really judge anything. Just a thought that came to my mind.

Last edited:

MeeLosh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find this video to be one of the most entertaining you've done so far, Dr. Dave. Kudos to you and Sam!
My only concern would be that I'm not sure how many people can ever approach 100 on this exam. I would assume the very best of world's professionals would be unable to get a 100 on this. And is an exam really valid if it's (nearly) impossible to get a perfect score? I can see this video as a fun illustration of a bunch of useful shots that come more or less often in a game. And while shots like 10, 11, 12, for example, are among the shots that will be used practically in every session, and should be mastered by all, shots like 18, for instance, will seldom be used (if ever) and therefore qualify more as a trick shot, than a shot most players will ever really use in their matches. And not that it's not helpful to know it (it is!), but I don't think that shot (along with some others) belongs in this sort of an exam.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member

-DpP-o.gif

Craziest thing, this is a shot I know and can execute, same with another from Dave's video when you are straight in near a rail and bouncing the ball on the rail and rolling up... Yet when they come in a match, I never thing to use them.

I can even remember a specific instance from earlier this week playing 1hole where I got to straight and bouncing on the rail and rolling out would have helped, yet in the moment I did not think to do that.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Watched the video last night when it hit YouTube. Great vid as always. I would say that every one of these shots has some value in knowing how to execute them because we have all encountered something similar at some point in a match... However, there is a chunk of these shots that you might want to add to your regular drills as they come up way more often then the others.

In my opinion, those are the real game winners. Some of the others are helpful in some cases but almost a bit trick shot-ish... Where a safe might be the more reliable option. It is good to know the stroke and technique of those shots as they will apply to others.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I hadn’t seen shot 14 (inside across the table), and I miserably failed on the couple times I tried it.
The angle into the 1st rail is critical on this type of shot. If the CB comes in too steep, the spin is lost; and if it come in too shallow, it won't make it across the table. It also helps if the cloth is new and slick. I have Simonis 860, but it is not very new (as you can probably tell in the video). I was using pure stun with maximum side cheating the pocket a little with a thin hit. It took me about 10 attempts before I got it. This is definitely one of the tough ones (unless you have practiced it a lot on a particular table).

I also couldn’t do shot 5 (banana shot) even after several tries.
The "double kiss" version is easier and requires much less speed than you might think. The "come off the rail" version requires much more speed (to avoid the double kiss) and a fuller hit than you might expect (so the CB looses enough speed for the curve to take).

It looked like you had trouble with shot 11 (draw back to hit cluster), barely hiring it, so I tried and also could barely hit it.
I actually got that one on the first try; although, I thought I hit it fairly well, so you are probably right that it is not easy (especially on a table with slick cloth).

In contrast the shot 10 with inside follow is super easy, and it looked easy for you on the video.
Agreed. I also got that on the first try, and I got way more angle than I needed. I should probably make this ball layout tougher, but I think it is OK to have a few easier shots to make up for some of the really tough ones.

Thank you for the comments,
Dave

PS: What would you list as the top 5 hardest shots? And what are your top 3 favorites?

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great list! I've used most of those before and they are definitely handy.
What would you list as the top 5 toughest shots from the video? And what are your top 3 favorites?

One shot I've used a few times in tournaments that wasn't on the list is jumping the object ball over the edge of a ball close to it that is partly obscuring its path to the pocket.
I started with a list much longer than 25 shots, and a partial OB jump was on the longer list, but it didn't make the cut. It probably should have.

Thanks for the comments,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I haven’t had a chance to try these shots but I can go ahead and tell you the toughest shots for me are the masse shots, the banana shot, and the jump draw shot.
The "double kiss" version of the banana shot is much easier than it looks. It just requires the right fullness of hit and the right speed (slower than you might think). If the CB doesn't curve soon enough, hit it slower. If it bounces too far back, hit is a little thinner.

My favorites are the hopping the cue ball off the rail shots and the shot in which the cue ball hopped over the two balls to get shape down the table.
The "hop over two balls" draw shot is much easier than it looks. It is just a normal draw shot with a slightly elevated cue. Try it out. If the CB jumps too high or too far forward, use less cue elevation and/or less speed; and if it doesn't jump enough, use more cue elevation and/or more speed.

Thank you and your cohorts for all you do to help others like myself improve their game.
You're welcome.

Thanks for the comments,
Dave