System for Aiming With Sidespin (SAWS)

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I am very please to announce that I just released a new full-length (1h 22m) instructional video called:

I have been working on this for a while, and I feel like it is some of my best work to date. Here's an overview video, and here's a detailed Table of Contents.

The physical DVD is not available yet (I'm currently taking pre-orders), but the stream/download version is available now. If any of you decide to check out and work with SAWS, please share your feedback (good or bad) here.

I hope some of you enjoy and and benefit from my new work.

Best regards,
Dave

Last edited:

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should have posted it in the aiming forum, lol

Looking forward to checking it out Dave! Thanks for sharing

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very please to announce that I just released a new full-length (1h 22m) instructional video called:

I have been working on this for a while, and I feel like it is some of my best work to date. Here's an overview video, and here's a detailed Table of Contents.

The physical DVD is not available yet (I'm currently taking pre-orders), but the stream/download version is available now. If any of you decide to check out and work with SAWS, please share your feedback (good or bad) here.

Best regards,
Dave

Clicking on the first,third and fourth links:

Says this site cannot be reached.

John

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

Best regards,
Dave
Clicking on the first,third and fourth links:

Says this site cannot be reached.
The links are fine. Maybe there is an issue with your browser or your ISP. Please try again later and let me know if you get the same error.

Thanks,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Will do. Thanks.
There might be an issue with how your browser treats the AZB site, and it might not like the external links. Is there a warning icon in the address bar of your browser? If so, try clicking on it and responding appropriately.

Also, please try pasting the SAWS link (https://drdavebilliards.com/saws/) into the address bar of your browser to see if you can access it directly (outside of AZB). Please let me know what happens.

Thanks,
Dave

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
There might be an issue with how your browser treats the AZB site, and it might not like the external links. Is there a warning icon in the address bar of your browser? If so, try clicking on it and responding appropriately.

Also, please try pasting the SAWS link (https://drdavebilliards.com/saws/) into the address bar of your browser to see if you can access it directly (outside of AZB). Please let me know what happens.

Thanks,
Dave

Clicking link in your post works for me...iPad.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

Anybody watch SAWS yet? If so, please let us know what you thought?

Thanks,
Dave

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody watch SAWS yet? If so, please let us know what you thought?

Thanks,
Dave

Hi, Dr. Dave. I am interested, but on a budget, so I can't just gobble up every training course that comes my way. I did watch the promotional video, though, and it looks very interesting.

In case you are interested, I found the 'trailer' to be much to busy. It elicited my sensory overload response - I felt a bit anxious watching it, and confess I couldn't get through it the first time. I found it very difficult to catch all of the things mentioned, things seemed to flash by too quickly.

I would like to know, as a "system," how is this system adopted and used? You say it's compatible with other aiming systems; in what way? Is it comprehensive, or an augmentation of other systems folks may have adopted?

Thanks,

jv

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Best regards,
Dave
Dave, I haven't checked it out yet, but in simplified terms, just curious how does this system incorporate varying degrees of deflection that exist among every different shaft, or doesn't it address that?

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hi, Dr. Dave. I am interested, but on a budget, so I can't just gobble up every training course that comes my way.
The stream/download version is only $19.95, and it is 1 hour and 22 minutes long! I certainly hope most people will consider this a bargain when they see the volume of useful content on SAWS. Regardless, I know many people are on tight budgets, and I can understand your reluctance to purchase instructional content if you are unsure it will benefit your game.

I did watch the promotional video, though, and it looks very interesting.

In case you are interested, I found the 'trailer' to be much to busy. It elicited my sensory overload response - I felt a bit anxious watching it, and confess I couldn't get through it the first time. I found it very difficult to catch all of the things mentioned, things seemed to flash by too quickly.
It was meant to be just a "teaser." I assure you the material in the actual video is presented in detail at an appropriate pace, and with lots of game-situation examples.

I would like to know, as a "system," how is this system adopted and used? You say it's compatible with other aiming systems; in what way? Is it comprehensive, or an augmentation of other systems folks may have adopted?
SAWS assumes you can already aim non-sidepsin cut shots fairly accurately and consistently. SAWS covers how to adjust your aim to account for CB deflection (net effects of squirt and swerve) and throw when using sidespin.

FYI, the detailed Table of Contents might also help give you a good feel for what SAWS contains.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Dave, I haven't checked it out yet, but in simplified terms, just curious how does this system incorporate varying degrees of deflection that exist among every different shaft, or doesn't it address that?
SAWS allows you to use any cue (with any CB deflection), any bridge length, and any stroking style. SAWS is built upon a calibration drill that fine tunes the system to each individual.

Regards,
Dave

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My review:

I bought it the day I heard about it, as I do with most of Dr. Dave’s video.

It’s much more of a complete system than your other videos. With your other videos it is possible to skip around and look at different techniques and shots, but this one really requires that you go through it from start to finish, building the logic of the system as you go.

I remember reading the debates about pivot aiming systems in past years, but this is the first one that I actually understand. The logic is this:
1) You need to change your aim to adjust for deflection,
2) if you use exactly the right pivot, it can exactly cancel out deflection,
3) pivoting by shifting your back hand changes the aim more for a given amount of english than shifting your front hand,
4) how much you need to change the aim to adjust for deflection varies depending on a couple of factors like speed and distance of shot, and
5) therefore you can use combinations of back hand vs. front hand shifting to change your aim more or less for a given shot, to exactly cancel out deflection.

It’s a lot to follow, but if you take the time, it really makes sense.

But unlike some other pivot aiming systems, this isn’t about how to aim a cut shot, it just assumes that you can do that already, with ghost ball or intuition or whatever other way you do it. This is about adjusting for deflection when using english. If you can’t aim well to begin with, this system won’t work.

One of the strengths of the system is that you use your own cue and your own natural hand position to figure out back hand/front hand percentages for different shots. There isn’t one objective system that works for everyone; instead, you use a template and fill in your numbers based on a series of shots. But Dr. Dave is very careful and good at making these measurements, and I think it will be tough for a lot of people to accurately measure these things. I know I find it difficult. I try it, think I’ve got it, but then try it again and get something very different. And my right english produces different results from my left - it must be an alignment issue, or pivoting issue, or something else, I don’t know.

Once people figure out their numbers, I also think a lot of people will have a hard time getting into the frame of mind where they’re thinking “pivot 60% back hand, 40% front hand” etc. on every shot with english. If you’re a feel player, don’t really believe that deflection is an issue, and believe you just get out there and gamble and that’s how you learn pool, you’ll probably hate this whole approach. But if you’re the analytical type, and you’re willing to put in the time to work through it, I’m sure you’ll eventually turn the numbers into quick adjustments.

At the end of the video, Dr. Dave provides some alternative systems that are simpler and rely less on the 60-40, 80-20 etc. numbers. In my opinion, more people could probably benefit from that kind of approach, and earlier versions are laid out in his “How to aim pool shots” videos as well. I’d recommend that in the future Dr. Dave focus on this simplified approach. While not everyone is going to follow the full detailed system, I think everyone could benefit from answering a couple of basic questions, like “LD or non-LD shaft? Fast or slow speed shot? Long or short distance? Then use this type of pivot.”

One question I had: Outside of the throw section, I didn’t see much discussion of the *amount* of english used. I think it’s really common to vary the amount of english used, from a touch to maximum. Most pool players do it on every shot. Do the percentages still apply? I would think it would be difficult, and probably unnecessary, to adjust with percents like 80-20% when you’re only using a millimeter of english.

Congratulations to Dr. Dave for figuring this stuff out, laying it out clearly, and making a great contribution to pool.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thank you for posting such a thorough review. I apprecaiate it.

I know the full SAWS system won’t be for everybody, but I hope everybody can at least learn a few useful things from the video.

I agree with you that some people will prefer a much simpler approach. That’s why I included the section presenting some simple alternatives.

Concerning amount of sidespin. I do mention it some, explaining that it is something you need to learn with experience, and that it varies with conditions and the type of shot. Practicing the 18 game-situation examples is a good start, and doing drills like the BU Exam target drill and safety drill is also beneficial in this regard.

Thanks again,
Dave

My review:

I bought it the day I heard about it, as I do with most of Dr. Dave’s video.

It’s much more of a complete system than your other videos. With your other videos it is possible to skip around and look at different techniques and shots, but this one really requires that you go through it from start to finish, building the logic of the system as you go.

I remember reading the debates about pivot aiming systems in past years, but this is the first one that I actually understand. The logic is this:
1) You need to change your aim to adjust for deflection,
2) if you use exactly the right pivot, it can exactly cancel out deflection,
3) pivoting by shifting your back hand changes the aim more for a given amount of english than shifting your front hand,
4) how much you need to change the aim to adjust for deflection varies depending on a couple of factors like speed and distance of shot, and
5) therefore you can use combinations of back hand vs. front hand shifting to change your aim more or less for a given shot, to exactly cancel out deflection.

It’s a lot to follow, but if you take the time, it really makes sense.

But unlike some other pivot aiming systems, this isn’t about how to aim a cut shot, it just assumes that you can do that already, with ghost ball or intuition or whatever other way you do it. This is about adjusting for deflection when using english. If you can’t aim well to begin with, this system won’t work.

One of the strengths of the system is that you use your own cue and your own natural hand position to figure out back hand/front hand percentages for different shots. There isn’t one objective system that works for everyone; instead, you use a template and fill in your numbers based on a series of shots. But Dr. Dave is very careful and good at making these measurements, and I think it will be tough for a lot of people to accurately measure these things. I know I find it difficult. I try it, think I’ve got it, but then try it again and get something very different. And my right english produces different results from my left - it must be an alignment issue, or pivoting issue, or something else, I don’t know.

Once people figure out their numbers, I also think a lot of people will have a hard time getting into the frame of mind where they’re thinking “pivot 60% back hand, 40% front hand” etc. on every shot with english. If you’re a feel player, don’t really believe that deflection is an issue, and believe you just get out there and gamble and that’s how you learn pool, you’ll probably hate this whole approach. But if you’re the analytical type, and you’re willing to put in the time to work through it, I’m sure you’ll eventually turn the numbers into quick adjustments.

At the end of the video, Dr. Dave provides some alternative systems that are simpler and rely less on the 60-40, 80-20 etc. numbers. In my opinion, more people could probably benefit from that kind of approach, and earlier versions are laid out in his “How to aim pool shots” videos as well. I’d recommend that in the future Dr. Dave focus on this simplified approach. While not everyone is going to follow the full detailed system, I think everyone could benefit from answering a couple of basic questions, like “LD or non-LD shaft? Fast or slow speed shot? Long or short distance? Then use this type of pivot.”

One question I had: Outside of the throw section, I didn’t see much discussion of the *amount* of english used. I think it’s really common to vary the amount of english used, from a touch to maximum. Most pool players do it on every shot. Do the percentages still apply? I would think it would be difficult, and probably unnecessary, to adjust with percents like 80-20% when you’re only using a millimeter of english.

Congratulations to Dr. Dave for figuring this stuff out, laying it out clearly, and making a great contribution to pool.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Why has this thread been banished to the CTE Arguments Forum? It’s not about an aiming system.
One of the Science Haters must have complained. It is probably for the best. Any thread using the word "aiming" usually devolves into a religious war anyway. But I still feel soiled having to venture into the "Sub Forum That Must Not Be Named."

Regards,
Dave

Gaelic7

Registered
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRussell, great review!!

dr_dave, SAWS is intriguing to me because it looks like it covers a good amount of what the “old timers” taught me back in the day on how to get to the next level. One question, does SAWS also include discussion on different types of strokes when applying side spin, i.e. slip stroke or twist stroke? I still use these on certain shots. Not sure if they help but are ingrained. I’m curious if they actually increase tip contact time and/ or spin? Thank you!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
BRussell, great review!!

dr_dave, SAWS is intriguing to me because it looks like it covers a good amount of what the “old timers” taught me back in the day on how to get to the next level. One question, does SAWS also include discussion on different types of strokes when applying side spin, i.e. slip stroke or twist stroke?
SAWS can be applied to any shooting style, but a straight stroke is recommended.

I still use these on certain shots. Not sure if they help but are ingrained. I’m curious if they actually increase tip contact time and/ or spin?
No. Stroke "type" or "quality" does not affect tip contact time or shot outcome in any meaningful way (as compared to an equivalent straight stroke). This is a common old-school myth. For more info, see:

stroke "type" or "quality"

swoop/swipe stroke

slip stroke

I hope you and others enjoy and benefit from SAWS,
Dave

Last edited:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
421   0   0
Dr Dave
i have a question,since deflection or whatever you call it happens with all cues at irregular times and amounts

would the average guy be better off avoiding side?
Is it worth it to buy fiber or other low deflect shafts since they also require adjustments?

I have never been able to figure it out.

I enjoy seeing your articles from time to time,I admire your hard work