Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
To support my FOULS IN POOL … Everything You Need to Know video, I recently created a resource page where I try to summarize all important rules differences among APA, BCAPL, and VNEA rules, as compared to standard WPA rules. Here it is:

Please let me know if you think anything important is missing or if you disagree with anything I currently have there.

Thank you,
Dave
For convenience, here is what I currently have as the list of differences from WPA rules:

APA 8-ball
- Slop counts (i.e., you don’t need to call your shots).
- If you pocket solids (or stripes) and no stripes (or solids) on the break, you must “take what you make.”
- On the break, you must hit the head ball or a 2nd-row ball first.
- A slow/soft break is not allowed.
- Pocketing the 8 on the break is a win (unless you also scratch, in which case it is a loss).
- You cannot hit the 8-ball first when the table is open.
- When hitting an OB frozen to a cushion, the OB must be driven to a different cushion if nothing else hits a cushion or is pocketed.
- Jump cues are not allowed.
- Any OBs jumped off the table are spotted.
- You must mark the pocket where you intend to make the 8.

CSI, BCAPL, USAPL 8-ball
- When hitting an OB frozen to a cushion, the OB must be driven to a different cushion if nothing else hits a cushion or is pocketed.
- If an impeding ball moves during a jump or massé shot, whether it is hit by the CB or not, it is a foul.

VNEA 8-ball
- You must mark the pocket where you intend to make the 8 (unless it is agreed to ahead of time that marking is not required).

Last edited:

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Hello Dr. Dave, not to nit pick, just a couple of things. These are the APA rules as I have
been told and as I understand them.
Of course, these are things that just might be assumed anyway.

APA 8-ball
- If you pocket solids (or stripes) and no stripes (or solids) on the break, you must “take what you make.”
- Pocketing the 8 on the break is a win (unless you also scratch, in which case it is a loss).
....You may not hit the 8 ball first at any time unless you're shooting the 8 ball at the appropriate time
.... The OB may be driven to the same cushion, ie. - the OB may be driven from the cushion and strike the cue ball again or another ball and return to and make contact with the same cushion
.... Jump cues are allowed in the Masters Division
.... after your turn at the table is over

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hello Dr. Dave, not to nit pick, just a couple of things. These are the APA rules as I have
been told and as I understand them.
Of course, these are things that just might be assumed anyway.

APA 8-ball
....You may not hit the 8 ball first at any time unless you're shooting the 8 ball at the appropriate time
.... The OB may be driven to the same cushion, ie. - the OB may be driven from the cushion and strike the cue ball again or another ball and return to and make contact with the same cushion
.... Jump cues are allowed in the Masters Division
.... after your turn at the table is over
Thank you for the suggestions. I just added clarifications to the website to address the points you made.

Thanks again,
Dave

Toxictom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd also add that in APA a scratch on the break requires ball in hand in the kitchen whereas BCA it is ball in hand anywhere on the table. I think VNEA might be the same as APA on this rule but not positive. I'm going to watch the video as the answer is probably in there.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'd also add that in APA a scratch on the break requires ball in hand in the kitchen whereas BCA it is ball in hand anywhere on the table. I think VNEA might be the same as APA on this rule but not positive. I'm going to watch the video as the answer is probably in there.
Thank you for pointing this out. Both APA and VNEA agree with WPA on this point. I just added the following under the BCAPL section on the website:

"If you scratch on the break, your opponent gets ball in hand anywhere on the table."

Thanks again,
Dave

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played VNEA for the last 10 years, although I've never been to Vegas I've never had to mark my pocket for the 8, only call the pocket. Is this strictly a Vegas thing or do other VNEA chapters still require a pocket marker?

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played VNEA for the last 10 years, although I've never been to Vegas I've never had to mark my pocket for the 8, only call the pocket. Is this strictly a Vegas thing or do other VNEA chapters still require a pocket marker?

Our Valley league was call ball and pocket, no marking the 8.

Also in BCA, if you are shooting at the 8, and scratch, it is not a loss if the 8 is not pocketed.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Our Valley league was call ball and pocket, no marking the 8.
Our VNEA league used to be "mark the pocket for the 8;" but after much complaining, the rule was eliminated. I hope VNEA decides to eliminate this entirely (in Vegas also) at some point. Pocketing the 8 should be no different than pocketing any other ball. The pocket must be called unless it is totally obvious.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, somebody on YouTube just correctly pointed out that you are allowed to hit the 8-ball first when the table is open only under VNEA rules. I have updated the pool rule difference page to reflect this.

Regards,
Dave

sam74

Registered
Having only played apa and bca one big difference to me was the ability to call timeout in apa for a teaching moment vs no option in bca.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you for pointing this out. I've added an APA bullet for coaching on the rule-differences page.
Also if you are ranked three or lower you get an additional time out per rack.
I don't want to clutter the rules-difference page with this level of detail. I have links to the full rule sets for each organization for people who want detailed info.

Thank you for pointing it out though. I was not aware of it since I have never played in an APA league.

Regards,
Dave

tatcat2000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CSI, BCAPL, USAPL 8-ball
- If an impeding ball moves during a jump or massé shot, whether it is hit by the CB or not, it is a foul.

Dave, it should read "If an illegal impeding ball moves...". It is not a foul to move a legal impeding ball. CSI Rule 1-34-2.

Buddy