2 Bank Pool Rule Questions

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
When playing a straight back bank if the object ball brushes the side pocket point and still goes in the corner you called is that a good shot or ng?

Also, in the unusual circumstance if all 9 balls are above the headstring when a scratch occurs, which ball gets spotted, closest to headrail, headspot, or what?

thx,
brian kc

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
When playing a straight back bank if the object ball brushes the side pocket point and still goes in the corner you called is that a good shot or ng?

Also, in the unusual circumstance if all 9 balls are above the headstring when a scratch occurs, which ball gets spotted, closest to headrail, headspot, or what?

thx,
brian kc

Yoda sez....on a straight back....

8C37F19D-7652-4F88-A54B-2547B387EB71.jpeg

Double bank you shall not

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

thx,
brian kc
Ball nearest the headstring gets spotted. If two balls are dead even the higher numbered ball spots.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

thx,
brian kc

https://www.onepocket.org/BankPoolRules.htm

7.5 When a called ball contacts either the cushions or pocket points along the rails adjacent to the called pocket on its final approach toward the pocket, such contact does not count as a bank in defining the called shot. If an otherwise legal called bank shot is pocketed in such a manner, the ball counts as long as the shot conforms with the shooter’s called intentions, and no foul or scratch occurs.

I would interpret that to mean you can contact the corner pocket points but not the side pocket points.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
https://www.onepocket.org/BankPoolRules.htm

7.5 When a called ball contacts either the cushions or pocket points along the rails adjacent to the called pocket on its final approach toward the pocket, such contact does not count as a bank in defining the called shot. If an otherwise legal called bank shot is pocketed in such a manner, the ball counts as long as the shot conforms with the shooter’s called intentions, and no foul or scratch occurs.

I would interpret that to mean you can contact the corner pocket points but not the side pocket points.
I agree it sounds like you can't hit the side pocket point farthest from the target pocket (not on an adjacent rail).

But it sounds like if you can find a way to hit the side pocket point nearest the called pocket (i.e., on an adjacent rail) and still make it you're all good. Good luck with that making it part.

pj
chgo

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree it sounds like you can't hit the side pocket point farthest from the target pocket (not on an adjacent rail).

But it sounds like if you can find a way to hit the side pocket point nearest the called pocket (i.e., on an adjacent rail) and still make it you're all good. Good luck with that making it part.

pj
chgo

On the second part I agree it probably won’t go in ever, would be argued against if it did (even if semantics make it read fine), and could get you a reputation as a rules nit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
On the second part I agree it probably won’t go in ever, would be argued against if it did (even if semantics make it read fine), and could get you a reputation as a rules nit.
Yep, it's a loophole but we can't get through it.

I like the "adjacent rail" rule - it avoids nitpicking incidental rail contact and is self-policing - the farther up the rail you hit the straighter the shot has to be in the first place. Hitting anywhere near the side pocket and still going in would take an almost imperceptible angle with normal pockets.

pj
chgo