Escalators. Pool.

sunnyone

cum grano salis
Silver Member
Dear Gentle Readers,

Are pool players similar to harried commuters … urban edition?

In NYC, check out the train to Bloomie’s. When you exit, you’ll be facing a remarkably long escalator ride. There are a couple of ways to ascend:

> Stand on the right-hand side and … stand. You can waft your way up in relative ease.

> Or … you can join the strivers, the hopers, the eager ones … the ones who shorten their vertical journey by climbing - - step by step - - as the escalator rises with them.

I’ve taken the three NYC girls I work with to that very subway platform. Invited them to observe the passengers as they exit the train and move onto the escalator. This is where I explain my (obviously brilliant!) theory that we (all of us in my little company) comprise a tiny, tiny enterprise. In a hyper-competitive field. We can’t afford to coast; we have to stride. We have to start earlier. Stay later. Be hungrier. Climb.

My absolutely unofficial visual survey is that the right-hand riders are composed - - in some measure - - of shoppers and visitors. Both absolutely welcome in town. And, to be fair, there are usually several NYC natives who are simply, understandably, tired.

The left-hand contingent seems to be a bit more … motivated? Edgier. A tad ruder and a little pushier. I would imagine, if an informed social scientist wanted to determine a predictive measure of success, that this specific Bloomingdale's escalator-evaluation might help to inform her thesis.

Now … to pool.

I would posit that there are some pool players blessed with an abundance of natural talent.

Yet the struggler in me, the grinder, wants to believe that even those genius pool players would attribute a certain part of their success to practice. And more practice. To … well, climbing, not riding, the escalator of life.

Whoa! How cheesy is that analogy? The Escalator of Life? Sorry!

Making meager points, lamely, is my life,

Sunny

P. S. But I would still wager that even the most naturally talented players work at it. I’ve been told that SVB is a demon practicer. Hmm … I wonder about my heartthrob, Efren?

Do most successful players have to work at it, or do they want to work at it? Or both? Or neither? I’m curious.

Strive on!

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
".. nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent."

-CC

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I take the right hand side up the escalator for two reasons:

1. I don't feel like rushing to get to work.
2. I am fat and lazy.

However, I practice my game and play pool as often as I can. I ran drills for 2 hours last night before Game of Thrones came on. I've run drills for 6+ hours straight some weekend days.

So, it seems I work at my game but still ride the right side of the escalator!

BJTyler

AzB Member
Silver Member
...actually

".. nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent."

-CC

with all due respect...I believe "unsuccessful people without talent" is far more common, just less noteworthy.

btw...ABR is awesome!

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Your metaphor is a little heady for this early in the morning on a Monday. I just always thought it was cool you could exit the subway and come up right in the middle of a department store. So that's about as far as I've ever taken it. But now that you mention it, your analogy is equally apropos to the electric sidewalk at the airport. ;)

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Some of the people on the right have their life in order...
Some of the people on the left are frantic because they're late as usual...

They say the early bird catches the worm.
But if the worm had slept in, he'd still be living.

Robert Heinlein

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like it. Thanks for sharing.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No pro player ever made it to the top coasting on the right side of the elevator. They played and practiced hours and hours per day for years, enough that it would make your head spin.

p.s. I want some of whatever you're smoking.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Whatever natural talent they started with (and I believe that naturals are just players that grasp concepts quickly), they still must practice hours and hours. Even natural talent has to be developed.