The History of 9 Ball Pool???

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
totally agree with michael!!

Tx express has ruined 9-ball.

You don't think pushing out was defense?? You had to fully understand your strengths and weaknesses, and those of your opponent.

That's what determined how and when you pushed out, not when you accidentally got out of line and had no shot.

If anything, te is much more offensive (in every sense of the word). You either b&r, or you duck. That's it.

And the absolute worst rule on the planet?? Three foul rule!!
Whoever thought that somebody should win without making a single ball, let alone the 9-ball, doesn't understand sports.

3 foul rule is like getting a participation trophy. With a reach-around.

</rant>

suffice to say, i highly prefer and dearly miss 2-shot foul 9-ball. The game for purists.

-von

tap tap tap.

( whispers ) ...and spot shots, Von... don't fergit spot shots.

Last edited:

Michael Andros

Silver Member
No doubt. Its obvious when you play it how good a game it is. Most have never even tried it. While i can appreciate safeties and kicking, the switch to TE rules did not make the game better. It was to make tournaments go faster. That's it. Oh well, this poor old horse has been beat to DEATH. I'm done, gone, out. BTW, one-foul sucks.

:rotflmao1: :yeah: :rotflmao1: :yeah: :rotflmao1: :yeah:

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
I suppose then, that Texas Express 9 Ball is all I've ever known.

2 Foul doesn't sound bad. It sounds like any blocked shot could be pushed out, for the whole rack. Of course if that push out shot is missed, it would result in ball-in-hand.

I've always loved ball in hand pool, and I insist upon all games being played ball-in-hand on any fouls, at my table. It's just right to do so.

Michael Andros

Silver Member

2 Foul doesn't sound bad. It sounds like any blocked shot could be pushed out, for the whole rack. Of course if that push out shot is missed, it would result in ball-in-hand.

I've always loved ball in hand pool, and I insist upon all games being played ball-in-hand on any fouls, at my table. It's just right to do so.

There's a very good reason why so many defend 2 fouls with such passion. Not because it was "the way things always were, UNTIL..." but because it was a GREAT way to play, involving much more than anyone who never played it can ever imagine. I guarantee you, if EVERYONE who plays 9 ball played nothing but 2 fouls for a year, MOST would never play TE again. And I understand that's hard to process but I firmly stand behind that statement.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You guys are dreaming.

I will give you that amongst folks who take 4+ innings a game, there are a lot of lucked leaves, but at the pro level, there is absolutely no rational reason that an incoming shooter- as a result of either his or his opponent's leave- should not be required to make legal contact from the given lie.

AF pool guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve always liked the ring game rule where you can give the shot back to the guy who missed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Where I'm from, we played push-out usually when we didn't have a shot.

If you were good at bank shots you pushed to a bank shot.

If you were good at cut shots, you pushed to cut the ball.

We weren't pushing out to play safe after the shot, we went for the shot after a push out.

Then it seemed straight pool players wanted to play nine ball and that was when all the safety play started.

Texas Express came out to speed up the game for TV.

I still don't know why you just can't make up rules for your own tournaments.

Why does everyone want to shoot the same rules the Pros play.

I think to win at nine ball you need to make the nine. That three foul rule is bullshit.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Qwertyasdfgzxcv

tenor.gif

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
You guys are dreaming.

I will give you that amongst folks who take 4+ innings a game, there are a lot of lucked leaves, but at the pro level, there is absolutely no rational reason that an incoming shooter- as a result of either his or his opponent's leave- should not be required to make legal contact from the given lie.

Well, I must say that I really enjoy having to hit a ball regardless of the layout of the table. Old timers before me took great pride in hooking the other guy, and in hitting challenging shots themselves. I am proud when I kick at a ball I can't see, and strike that sucker anyway. Show the other guy that you can overcome that mess!

It reminds me of snooker.

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member

Where I'm from, we played push-out usually when we didn't have a shot.

If you were good at bank shots you pushed to a bank shot.

If you were good at cut shots, you pushed to cut the ball.

We weren't pushing out to play safe after the shot, we went for the shot after a push out.

Then it seemed straight pool players wanted to play nine ball and that was when all the safety play started.

Texas Express came out to speed up the game for TV.

I still don't know why you just can't make up rules for your own tournaments.

Why does everyone want to shoot the same rules the Pros play.

I think to win at nine ball you need to make the nine. That three foul rule is bullshit.

I've never called that 3 foul rule on anyone. I did have a guy call it on me once; but then when he passed away, he left me his pool table. All is forgiven, my friend!!! God speed!!!

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

One of the main reasons I've given up 9 ball. Ball in hand anywhere is THE WORST rule change in the history of the game. I've played people Straight Pool who thought you could do that in 14.1. Oh, the horror!!

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
One of the main reasons I've given up 9 ball. Ball in hand anywhere is THE WORST rule change in the history of the game. I've played people Straight Pool who thought you could do that in 14.1. Oh, the horror!!

I love ball in hand myself, because it severely punishes mistakes.

However, I am willing to listen to sound reason. If ball in hand were removed from pool, what would discourage your opponent from committing a foul?

TurboDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey boys and girls, I have been curious about 2 foul 9 ball for a while now. Although I ain't a gummer, I also ain't a youngster either, I just started playing later in life.

So if any of you know of a match or two that was televised back in the day, and made it to youtube, post a link.

I would like to see how the game was played before Texas express rules.

Best to all
Turbo

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey boys and girls, I have been curious about 2 foul 9 ball for a while now. Although I ain't a gummer, I also ain't a youngster either, I just started playing later in life.

So if any of you know of a match or two that was televised back in the day, and made it to youtube, post a link.

I would like to see how the game was played before Texas express rules.

Best to all
Turbo
Doubt you'll find any videos of 2-foul 9ball. By late 80's one-foul had become the standard tournament rules and most ,then all, gambling went to it.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doubt you'll find any videos of 2-foul 9ball. By late 80's one-foul had become the standard tournament rules and most ,then all, gambling went to it.

And really, much of the game is unclear which rule set is being used. Running out remains the best option, ya know?

Michael Andros

Silver Member
I’ve always liked the ring game rule where you can give the shot back to the guy who missed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NodNod! Hell YES. We always played "best" ( yeah, sure it was, Hoss ) effort. Which left a HELL of a lot of "questionable" "best" efforts. And that rule took right good care of it!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
NodNod! Hell YES. We always played "best" ( yeah, sure it was, Hoss ) effort. Which left a HELL of a lot of "questionable" "best" efforts. And that rule took right good care of it!
We played that if all agreed that it was impossible for the shooter to hit the ball, he was allowed to push out, but we usually played best effort with pass-back. I think we sometimes played that all players had to pass the shot around because some would pass the shot back when they shouldn't.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
We played that if all agreed that it was impossible for the shooter to hit the ball, he was allowed to push out, but we usually played best effort with pass-back. I think we sometimes played that all players had to pass the shot around because some would pass the shot back when they shouldn't.

Glory be, pool players trying to gain an advantage under *less-than-stellar* moral circumstances??? Say it ain't so, Joe... say it ain't so!!! :grin::grin::grin:

We never played push out in ring games down here, Mr. Jewett, sir. When I was stationed at Ft Ord, I never got in any ring games, so I've no idea how y'all played out there. But down here it was always best effort. But, we always played pass back too. So not making qquuuiiiteeee one's "best" effort became almost *like* pushing out, in a convoluted way. :grin: