John Schmidt has beaten Mosconi

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Now if John can just win the 14.1 world championship, he'd have a sanctioned world title to go with his highest ever recorded run in 14.1.👍

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Drink more Ovaltine?

I heard he started to rack at the other end of the table.

Scary that for someone whose played as much as he has going after this record as hard as he has in the past 6 months, that he stated he's just figured out something in his game, and within 24 hours of that statement he runs 626! I would be curious what that one discovery was?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Drink more Ovaltine?

I heard he started to rack at the other end of the table.
Based on Fred's comment, John said that he had just figured out something about his game the day before. This was separate from his decision to start racking at the opposite end of the table, which is speculated may have also helped him.

Last edited:

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been saying that I thought he'd do it, but I didn't really believe it. I'm pretty stunned right now.

Well done John.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now if John can just win the 14.1 world championship, he'd have a sanctioned world title to go with his highest ever recorded run in 14.1.��

I am not super familiar with the guy, he hasn't ever won a world championship in 14.1? I would think he would be winning them all, go figure.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is fantastic news!!!!! Congrats to John and for ushering in a new era of greats. Not only beat it but beat it by 100 balls? This is going to stand for a very very long time.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums
I'd love to get details (and I'm sure we eventually will) as to the cue ball and ball set used for the run, the table manufacturer / model / year, pocket opening specs, cushion rubbers, cloth on the table how new/old the cloth was, chalk used, rack used, lighting, etc. I'm sure many would be very curious as to the time length of the run (I'm guessing 4 +/- hours), and how many times the cue ball was marked and cleaned during this run?

As a 14.1 lover, I just find this run to be so incredible and historic that I'm interested in soaking up as much detail as I can regarding all aspects of it!

I'm guessing particularly the pool table itself as well as the pool cue, cue ball and ball set used for the run will be highly sought after collectibles!

Last edited:

speedy5963

speedy5963
Silver Member
Thank you for sharing. Hope this gets picked up nationally.

No problem, was cool seeing it hit the news last night, my daughter saw it and got a bit excited being we play there and she has seen John playing there before in prior attempts, good deal to see an 11 year old see the local pool hall on the news and get excited about it.

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not super familiar with the guy, he hasn't ever won a world championship in 14.1? I would think he would be winning them all, go figure.

I'm pretty sure John himself would admit that he's not the best straight pool player around. There can be no doubt that he is the most dedicated though.

weakfingers

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now if John can just win the 14.1 world championship, he'd have a sanctioned world title to go with his highest ever recorded run in 14.1.��

John has won the World 14.1 Tournament, defeating Efren Reyes in the finals in 2012. Now I don't believe the Dragon Promotions tournament is a "sanctioned event" but he has won that tournament.

Last edited:

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm pretty sure John himself would admit that he's not the best straight pool player around. There can be no doubt that he is the most dedicated though.

If I spent my time trying to break the world record for the 40meter dash, and I set the world record, I guess I would consider myself "the best". Although, if I could set the world record by a good margin, it would seem logical I would win a good amount of events too. Apples and oranges I know.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I have to admit, there's a part of me saddened at this, and I'm not sure why.

Mostly, I'm very pleased for John Schmidt on this achievement, though! Congrats!

Me too...not saddened really, more a mix of melancholy and happiness to see the record broken. For sure, congrats to John Schmidt...a long time effort rewarded.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John has won the World 14.1 Tournament, defeating Efren Reyes in the finals in 2012. Now I don't believe the Dragon Promotions tournament is a "sanctioned event" but he has won that tournament.

Very cool, I know very little about the guy, but damn he got my interest now.
Thanks for sharing that.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My guess would be zero.

In the two runs I have downloaded, the 434 and 360 something, I think, I saw him shoot NO BANKS WHATSOEVER. Now that I think about it, I haven't watched all of the 434 yet so not sure about that. None in the other, though.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

The*World Straight Pool Championship, or the*World 14.1 Tournament*if no world championship is on the line, is an annual*pocket billiards*(pool) competition held in*New Brunswick, New Jersey, since 2006. It is the current global*professional title*for*straight pool(also known as 14.1 continuous), and is organized by Dragon Promotions, in part to restore the game's popularity in the*United States.[1]*Though billed as a world championship, the tournament in some years (including 2009, 2011 and 2012) has not been sanctioned by, or recognized as a world title event by the*World Pool-Billiard Association(WPA) or any other*sport governing body.[2]*The 2010 event was WPA-recognized.[3

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In the two runs I have downloaded, the 434 and 360 something, I think, I saw him shoot NO BANKS WHATSOEVER. Now that I think about it, I haven't watched all of the 434 yet so not sure about that. None in the other, though.

No bank shots in the 434.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The*World Straight Pool Championship, or the*World 14.1 Tournament*if no world championship is on the line, is an annual*pocket billiards*(pool) competition held in*New Brunswick, New Jersey, since 2006. It is the current global*professional title*for*straight pool(also known as 14.1 continuous), and is organized by Dragon Promotions, in part to restore the game's popularity in the*United States.[1]*Though billed as a world championship, the tournament in some years (including 2009, 2011 and 2012) has not been sanctioned by, or recognized as a world title event by the*World Pool-Billiard Association(WPA) or any other*sport governing body.[2]*The 2010 event was WPA-recognized.[3

Dragon Promotions has held 13 "World" straight pool events -- 2006 through 2018. The WPA recognized 4 of them as world championships -- 2006 (won by Hohmann), 2007 (Ortmann), 2008 (Feijen), and 2010 (Ortmann). The other 9 events were not so blessed by the WPA.

SlickRick_PCS

Pool, Snooker, Carom
Silver Member
Agreed that one pocket is not the first game one should learn.

Johnny Ervolino, who loved both straight pool and one pocket and was a superstar in both disciplines, used to say that these were the two games of finesse on a pool table and that one needs to play at least one of them to develop a complete skill set. Grady Matthews said the same.

... but Johnny tended to hedge when asked which game is better. He used to say that one pocket is more difficult but straight pool is more beautiful. That's about how I see it, too.

There's room for both of these wonderful games in pool's landscape.

So let me get back with you on that comment, sjm:

I have to disagree with you, fully. Let me explain why:
In the basic sense of 14.1 Continuous, you have no obstacles you have to contend to; every ball equals to one. One might say that you can just bash the balls and it would be fun to just play any ball you want. As basics advance themselves and runs become a merit of the strength of the player, more tactical techniques must be finely tuned. These techniques include shot making, speed control, kiss shots, carom shots, billiard shots (or as I like to call them, "The 'real' carom shots from Carom Billiards"), clusters, understanding throw combinations, slow-speed spinners (which is SO hard to do, so well), and many more. Then, you can add kicks and banks (which is relatively rare). 14.1 is really a game of sensibilities and control. It is not like a Rotation game, where you're really making the cue-ball travel about the table.

Then after all the tactic techniques have been figured out, you have to strategize on what you have to do in order to continue the high run. "Which ball will be my break ball, my key ball, my K2KB, and it branches out all the way up until the start of the break. 14.1 is the nexus to all the other forms of Pocket Billiards.

One-Pocket?
Basically, it is 14.1 with the emphasis of Bank Pool (or if you really want to get crazy, Italian Billiards), Kicking, Carom Billiards [Cushion Caroms and 3-Cushion] and Chess... with the objective on making 8 balls on the pocket you (or they) picked.