Billiard collectibles

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Yes pt!

Many of these items would be difficult to replace but the rock is truly one of a kind!

I would say that post 38 is a close 2nd.

The more I look at it, the more I like it....but the 8-ball is the star.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Here is a potato chip bowl I found two minutes from my house in a second hand store. It came with a smaller eight ball bowl (for dip) that I can't seem to find right now.

Attachments

• IMG_4940.JPG
    IMG_4940.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 475

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
Thanks for reviving this thread.

I have a vintage & antique sports memorabilia collection. It was the décor my basement bar in my old house, and now adorns my home office.

I don't have much in the way billiard collectibles, though, having only recently become a billiards nut.

I have the vintage Brunswick in my avatar given by a friend's Grandfather and subsequently revived by Proficient Billiards. It's from the late '60's. I'll post better pictures later.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Thanks for reviving this thread.

I have a vintage & antique sports memorabilia collection. It was the décor my basement bar in my old house, and now adorns my home office.

I don't have much in the way billiard collectibles, though, having only recently become a billiards nut.

I have the vintage Brunswick in my avatar given by a friend's Grandfather and subsequently revived by Proficient Billiards. It's from the late '60's. I'll post better pictures later.

Are you referring to the case or the cue? Either way we would like pics. I have always wanted that type of case from Brunswick. The cue looks like a Schmelke/Brunswick. I have a couple of those in my collection.
Thanks.

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
Are you referring to the case or the cue? Either way we would like pics. I have always wanted that type of case from Brunswick. The cue looks like a Schmelke/Brunswick. I have a couple of those in my collection.
Thanks.
Thanks, Cuebuddy. Those old "Schmelke Brunswicks" are indeed cool. Particularly the ones with the Hoppe buttcaps, IMO.

Here's a better pic of the Brunswick cue & case, after Proficient did their thing. They did a good job making a new shaft, using the old joint. The wrap is original, and was cleaned and pressed, but, in hindsight, I would've had them replace with new had I known it would still look dingy. At this point, the cost of shipping both ways, on top of the service charge, kinda negates the practicality of sending it back. "It is what it is"; a very nice hitting, 50 year old cue. :)

Attachments

• B1.jpg
    B1.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 410

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
"The McCleery Method of Billiard Playing", by Prof. J.F.B. McCleery, paperback, 1890, Payot, Upham & Company, San Francisco. Co., 144 pages.

Here is a paperback book from 1890 in its current restored cover. The book is pretty rare, so the restoration was worthwhile.

Original20190612small.jpg

Here is the original I had to work. A black-and-white scan provided some of the missing text.

Original20190612aSmall.jpg

Here is Prof. McCleery's take on the proper stance for men and women.

Original20190612_0002small.jpg

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"The McCleery Method of Billiard Playing", by Prof. J.F.B. McCleery, paperback, 1890, Payot, Upham & Company, San Francisco. Co., 144 pages.

Here is a paperback book from 1890 in its current restored cover. The book is pretty rare, so the restoration was worthwhile.

View attachment 522497

Here is the original I had to work. A black-and-white scan provided some of the missing text.

View attachment 522498

View attachment 522502

Bob, who did the restoration?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bob, who did the restoration?
I did. I once had a professional book-restorer fix the hinge of a copy of Enoch White's 1807 book. I think it was $75. I'm guessing they would have charged a thousand for the cover (front, back and spine), and the first two pages. They had to be re-created since the original was so far gone. I learned a lot about Photoshop the hard way.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I liked the original title.
I had no idea there was a title change, very cool.

View attachment 522463

Thanks, Cuebuddy. Those old "Schmelke Brunswicks" are indeed cool. Particularly the ones with the Hoppe buttcaps, IMO.

Here's a better pic of the Brunswick cue & case, after Proficient did their thing. They did a good job making a new shaft, using the old joint. The wrap is original, and was cleaned and pressed, but, in hindsight, I would've had them replace with new had I known it would still look dingy. At this point, the cost of shipping both ways, on top of the service charge, kinda negates the practicality of sending it back. "It is what it is"; a very nice hitting, 50 year old cue. :)

I see what you mean on the wrap but I like it, gives it a vintage look.
I have two Schmelke/Brunswicks (both sneaky Petes)and I came across a new brass joint and rubber bumper at one time. I figured I would make a tribute cue out of them someday.:eek:

View attachment 522497

View attachment 522498

View attachment 522502

Wow Bob great job on the restoration. You said "pretty rare" do you know of any other examples of this book?

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Here is a Elgin clock that I found in Oregon.

Attachments

• IMG_4938.jpg
    IMG_4938.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG_4939.JPG
    IMG_4939.JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 493

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Wow Bob great job on the restoration. You said "pretty rare" do you know of any other examples of this book?
I have seen photocopies go for $80. A copy without a cover went for $400. I guess I should look around for that one and fix it up. The black and white scan I got some of the text from was the Library of Congress copy which is on-line.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for reviving this thread. Where do you guys find this stuff? I know I could go on eBay and Ive tried yard sales with no luck. Theres one antique store near me that has a bca rules handbook from the 60's that I really want but he won't let it go without selling me the all plastic Brunswick table that goes with it:( I know alot of the fun is in the hunt but all I've found is a copy of Steve Mizerak's Pocket Billiards Tips and Trick Shots. It was a fun find just sitting there on the shelf though :)

I have been collecting for 40 years , found a few books in old bookstores but value was no where near the time I lost hunting.
If you want a collection , find someone like me that wants to sell theirs, if you wish you had a collection , or plan on finding everything at yard sales , best of luck.
Everybody has a great story of the rare piece they found in a dumpster, Good luck with that.
I have a bunch of old BCA rule books, what year?
A lot of fun is in the hunt if you ever find anything, lol it sucks if you hunt for a year and finally find something and they want 10 times what it is worth.
Which is a whole enigma unto itself.
Meaning ,nobody really knows what some of this stuff is worth, they just know they aren't selling it cheap , just in case!

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... If you want a collection , find someone like me that wants to sell theirs, ...
Or someone like me that has a few duplicates they would like to get rid of. If someone wants 600 books about various sorts of billiards in various languages, including 30 or so different BCA rule books going back to the 1940s and Brunswick rule books going back to the 1890s, feel free to PM me. :D

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Meaning ,nobody really knows what some of this stuff is worth, they just know they aren't selling it cheap , just in case!
In the case of books, http://used.addall.com can give some idea of the value. It looks at a bunch of different book-selling sites. The results for pre-1930 books are somewhat polluted by the many modern reprints, some of which are good but most of which are lousy. (For example, they may give you just the text without diagrams and the text has many, many typos.)

There are many sellers who either have no clue or are trying to steal. One seller on Ebay routinely offers items at ten times the price you would pay for a similar or nicer copy on Amazon. Sometimes he slips up and is low on his price.

Some billiard books don't have a "market" in that no one is offering them for sale right now and Ebay has one only every two or three years. An example of this is the book by Andrew Ponzi that has a price somewhere between $400 and $2000. That's the sort of book you hope you find at the used book store. I bought a small 1910 pamphlet for $10 that typically goes for $100 -- that was my best find. In case anyone wants the Ponzi book, I have one for sale.

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Being old I have quite a few souvenirs laying around. Here are a few

Attachments

• cardsa.jpg
    cardsa.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 425
  • cards1a.jpg
    cards1a.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 432

spktur