Darren disqualified in a straight pool match?

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
In the accustats challenge, the announcers said he was DQ'd for unsportsmanlike conduct
in one of his 14.1 matches, anyone know what they're talking about?
Something about disturbing the balls... did he rake them or something?

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Yeah he missed a makeable combo when he was getting close to running out the match and getting bonus money. After he missed he impulsively whacked the balls with his cue and the 12 (I think) went flying off the table with quite a bit of height. He was sorry that he did it and felt really bad afterwards (according to Ken) but was disqualified for unsportsmanlike conduct by Ken. Regrettable but given the circumstances (affecting the layout, causing a scene/disruption affecting the match) it was pretty much the only choice. I don't think we'll see anything like that from Darren again. Also I think it's interesting in that Accu-Stats is kind of setting a precedent here and I like it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

prewarhero

guess my avatar
Silver Member
Yeah he missed a makeable combo when he was getting close to running out the match and getting bonus money. After he missed he impulsively whacked the balls with his cue and the 12 (I think) went flying off the table with quite a bit of height. He was sorry that he did it and felt really bad afterwards (according to Ken) but was disqualified for unsportsmanlike conduct by Ken. Regrettable but given the circumstances (affecting the layout, causing a scene/disruption affecting the match) it was pretty much the only choice. I don't think we'll see anything like that from Darren again. Also I think it's interesting in that Accu-Stats is kind of setting a precedent here and I like it.

This is not uncommon for Daz.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dazz look like he was about to blow a gasket last time he played dennis on TAR. He was getting all upset b/c he felt that dennis was getting all the rolls and he got nothing.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
This is not uncommon for Daz.

I've seen him mutter to himself and stuff before like a lot of guys do, but I've never seen him ever do anything like that before in a match and I've watched a lot of his matches. In other words it is whaf it is but I don't think it's quite fair to say it's a common occurrence. Just my 2 cents.

prewarhero

guess my avatar
Silver Member
I've seen him mutter to himself and stuff before like a lot of guys do, but I've never seen him ever do anything like that before in a match and I've watched a lot of his matches. In other words it is whaf it is but I don't think it's quite fair to say it's a common occurrence. Just my 2 cents.

He has banged is cue on the table many times here in US matches but from what I understand, and this is from wytch, in the UK things like kicking over chairs was not uncommon. Maybe not commonplace but, well you get it.

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He has banged is cue on the table many times here in US matches but from what I understand, and this is from wytch, in the UK things like kicking over chairs was not uncommon. Maybe not commonplace but, well you get it.

I have seen Shane slap the felt with his shaft many times. I also have a bad habit of doing it when I miss a easy ball. Its not a big deal.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Dazz look like he was about to blow a gasket last time he played dennis on TAR. He was getting all upset b/c he felt that dennis was getting all the rolls and he got nothing.

Someone should let him know that there is a support group for that. It's called a church and meetings are held every Sunday.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Good for Accu-Stats and whoever made the call there. It's about time the pros started acting like pros. Maybe with Mark G. and Pat Flemming getting the ball rolling and taking a bite out of there money, it will start to sink in. Maybe even Earl will wake up...NOT. Johnnyt

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BTW, the more I hear and see Ken in action or in the booth, the more I like him.

As a ref, yes and depending on his partner, he can be very good in the booth but he and Toasti together were Fn tedious. The slower Toasti talked, the slower Ken went. His near conclusion that for the good of the game and the future of pool, only one game should be played and -straight pool seemed to be the candidate- was absurd and totally unrealistic.

Granted it was Toasti who put that out there but Ken pretty much went along with it.

Last edited:

nb92

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well... he was playing Dennis O. and as DAZ had said ... those people get SOOO lucky.....

LOL

oldzilla

Accu-Stats Messenger
Silver Member
Good call by Ken and others that we can guess.

BUT, not being the real topic, THAT pocket has been having the habit of spitting balls out and hanging them up ! Darren seen it happen to him a few times as others have too. I call it an evil pocket !

Thats all folks. :thumbup:

bral

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe a "warning" is more suitable in these cases..

That seems discordant given that (for example) they're playing all ball fouls, and just a players clothing touching a ball results in a foul and loss of inning.

I also wonder at what Billy's comment when he returned to the mic after that - he said that Darren didn't mean to do what he did. So what did he mean to do the way he threw his cue forward at that ball? :confused:

I don't deny Darren's greatness as a player, and these outbursts seem pretty rare, but I believe it's fair to levy a strong penalty for this kind of situation. In any case, what's done is done, and this fine event has moved on. Appleton is currently tied up 7-7 with Hohmann in their 10 ball match.

markgw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe a "warning" is more suitable in these cases..

I also believe a warning would be suitable in most cases. The reason that wasn't possible in this instance is he hit his cue on the table, and balls went flying all over the place. Not to mention they were playing 14.1. There was no way to make any other decision. There wasn't way for Orcullo to continue his inning fairly. Had he just hit his stick on the table and shouted something out of anger, I'm sure he would have only been given a warning. Daz was embarrassed by his actions and thought it was a completely fair conclusion... BTW he is playing superb!!

Reactions: JAM

TheWizard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree totally with Ken's decision and it's about time that alot more players at all levels were held accountable and approprietly dealt with for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Giving someone a warning for that is not good enough because they are not being made to take full responsibility and accept any repercussions of their actions on and/or off the table.

If pool has any chance of gaining any kind of public respect as a legitimate professional sport, the players have to learn how to behave themselves and be respectful at all times, and the same that tournament organisers/directors have to make the effort to enforce the rules on any and all players who behave in any unsportsman like manner like slamming balls or equipment on the table, slapping/thumping the table, etc.

Jm2c fwiw.