Charlie Williams' 14.1 Tournament?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know if Charlie is going to try to run a tournament again? I thought one was announced for 2019 but a brief web search, including on Charlie's websites, turns up nothing.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Does anyone know if Charlie is going to try to run a tournament again? I thought one was announced for 2019 but a brief web search, including on Charlie's websites, turns up nothing.

I heard rumor that it wasn’t.

I also heard rumblings that the American 14.1 may not happen either, or may not be at Carom again. Unsure. This comes to some shock to me. I’ll have to research that.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I heard rumor that it wasn’t.

I also heard rumblings that the American 14.1 may not happen either, or may not be at Carom again. Unsure. This comes to some shock to me. I’ll have to research that.
The current plan is to have the American 14.1 in Virginia Beach at Q-Master prior to the Int'l Open 9-Ball (Oct 22-26). That would certainly make travel for the international players easier.

Last edited:

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
The current plan is to have the American 14.1 in Virginia Beach at Q-Master prior to the Int'l Open 9-Ball (Oct 22-26). That would certainly make travel for the international players easier.

Thank you sir. Glad to hear that the event is still alive. Out of all 3 of them in my opinion this one is the best !

Steve

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really enjoyed the tourney at carom last year. Sorry to hear it may return there

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something tells me that they are going to try to have the American 14.1 at the spot in nanuet. Mainly because of the tables. But that's just me, I just have a weird feeling it may go there.

As for the world 14.1, whatever happens I will still support it. I enjoy the tournament.

arcstats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This is another brilliant move by Peter Burrows to ensure/continue to build/maintain the strongest 14.1 tournament field in the country. Not to mention a lighter expense burden for all players that do not reside in the NYC area.

BayGene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
World, U.S., and American 14.1 Tournaments

Say it isn't so!

I've supported/attended all of Charlie Williams' events since the first revival in 2006. (In East and New Brunswick, Parsippany, Clifton, Flushing, Astoria, and Nanuet.) I was particularly privileged to spend many hours behind the mic thanks to the hospitality of Upstate Al.

I had a wonderful time at Mark Kalungian's two noble attempts in Windsor Locks.

Peter Burrows brought his terrific event within my range in 2018. Again, I had fun in the broadcast booth. My work schedule puts Virginia out of reach.

I appreciate all the hard work these promoters have done for the Championship Game.

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel the same way Gene. I too have been to all of the tournaments run by Charlies Williams. I live only about 15 minutes from east Brunswick. I didn't mind going to Queens to watch at Steinway.
The following of both players and fans has been steadily dwindling. It is hard to get the fans when you don't have the name players. It is hard to get top European players without a bigger payout. Too expensive to travel and pay for housing.
The up open 14.1 at caroms last year was great. Nice place. Good viewing. Good food. I was hoping they would play there for a few years.