Incredible play at the American 14.1

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The final round of the round robin stage just concluded. The last match was the stream match where Lee Vann Corteza showed great determination and came back to win 100-91 after being down to Nick van den Berg 77-1.
This round featured the A players in each group vs the B players. From where I was sitting I could see all 7 matches and it was pretty much 14.1 heaven.
Jayson Shaw vs Warren Kiamco
John Schmidt vs Rodney Morris
Appleton vs Orcollo
David Alcaide vs Hohmann
Immonen vs Nikos Oikonomopoulos
Nick van den Berg vs Corteza
Alex Pagulayan vs Niels Feijen
Overall this is probably the strongest 14.1 field in who knows how long. Much stronger than the recent World 14.1 at Steinway.
How strong? Well, Darren Appleton didn't make the final 24. And 2 "C" players (Cory Duell and Konstantin Stepanov) won their groups.
Speaking of Stepanov, watch for him on the stream. I got to watch him close up when he ran 100 & out on me (probably only due to the good racks I gave him) and let me tell you, this guy is one of the most polished 14.1 players you'll ever see.
You don't hear his name much but he's right up there with the likes of Hohmann, Van den Berg and Feijen. It woundn't surprise me at all if he won it.
If today was good, tomorrow and Sun. promise to be even better so catch the stream if at all possible.
Where can you find a tournament where Orcollo, Pagulan, Morris and Shaw are rated "B" players?
Kudos to Peter Burrows and Megan Fort. This is the best 14.1 event in the world and Peter told me next year will be even bigger and better.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The final round of the round robin stage just concluded. The last match was the stream match where Lee Vann Corteza showed great determination and came back to win 100-91 after being down to Nick van den Berg 77-1.
This round featured the A players in each group vs the B players. From where I was sitting I could see all 7 matches and it was pretty much 14.1 heaven.
Jayson Shaw vs Warren Kiamco
John Schmidt vs Rodney Morris
Appleton vs Orcollo
David Alcaide vs Hohmann
Immonen vs Nikos Oikonomopoulos
Nick van den Berg vs Corteza
Alex Pagulayan vs Niels Feijen
Overall this is probably the strongest 14.1 field in who knows how long. Much stronger than the recent World 14.1 at Steinway.
How strong? Well, Darren Appleton didn't make the final 24. And 2 "C" players (Cory Duell and Konstantin Stepanov) won their groups.
Speaking of Stepanov, watch for him on the stream. I got to watch him close up when he ran 100 & out on me (probably only due to the good racks I gave him) and let me tell you, this guy is one of the most polished 14.1 players you'll ever see.
You don't hear his name much but he's right up there with the likes of Hohmann, Van den Berg and Feijen. It woundn't surprise me at all if he won it.
If today was good, tomorrow and Sun. promise to be even better so catch the stream if at all possible.
Where can you find a tournament where Orcollo, Pagulan, Morris and Shaw are rated "B" players?
Kudos to Peter Burrows and Megan Fort. This is the best 14.1 event in the world and Peter told me next year will be even bigger and better.

Stepanov is not really under the radar in America, having reached the final in the Derby City 14.1 event in 2015.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think it's fair to compare the field of this to the Wolrd 14.1 as there would have been a ton of overseas players here for the American 14.1 because the US Open was literally a few days away.

but still, good play. Love seeing this game at being played at this level.