Open / Closed Bridge Rules?

FrankieD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am completely aware that a player's bridge, whether open or closed, can be very subjective. Early on, I had concocted my own theory that a closed bridge is more stable, therefore I should be using the closed bridge as much as possible.

I've been watching more and more videos of pros that use an open bridge on open table shots and they clearly make more balls than I do. I then consciously made a point to use an open bridge more often with some success and it got me thinking.

Are there any rules of thumb on which bridge I should be using depending on distance, angle, english, etc. I do understand that most players use a closed bridge for a power a power draw, but are all other shots totally player choice?

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
From your observance what do you see as advantages and disadvantages of each type of bridge?

FrankieD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me, I see more consistency for longer shots. I think my stroke suffers from the closed bridge and the longer shot exposes the glitch in my stroke.

I am still more comfortable in a closed bridge for follow shots.

Last edited:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
This is just me.

I use a closed bridge for all shots hit more than one tip below the equator.

I use an open bridge for almost all shots hit more than one tip above the equator unless it is a very tight shot that needs extreme precision or if I am really going to power a shot hitting high.

Until recently I rarely if ever hit within one tip of the equator. Now that I am, I am using both bridges depending on how it feels to me.

I have been hitting almost all shots off center for 4.6 decades.

Good Luck with whatever you choose to do.

Best Wishes,
Rick

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Not that I can hang with any of the pros..but the shot just kind of dictates which I use. I prefer open for most shots. It's just easier for me to aim down the shaft that way.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not that I can hang with any of the pros..but the shot just kind of dictates which I use. I prefer open for most shots. It's just easier for me to aim down the shaft that way.

You aim down the shaft??? Why?

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just my way of checking to see it I'm lined up straight..if I'm not, I will get up, look at the object ball spot again, get in a new stance.

The reason I ask is, I've only heard of this on AZ and only recently. It goes against everything I ever learned about aiming.

Pre-Flag Master

Cue Ball Man
Silver Member
I am completely aware that a player's bridge, whether open or closed, can be very subjective. Early on, I had concocted my own theory that a closed bridge is more stable, therefore I should be using the closed bridge as much as possible.

I've been watching more and more videos of pros that use an open bridge on open table shots and they clearly make more balls than I do. I then consciously made a point to use an open bridge more often with some success and it got me thinking.

Are there any rules of thumb on which bridge I should be using depending on distance, angle, english, etc. I do understand that most players use a closed bridge for a power a power draw, but are all other shots totally player choice?

When I was a kid, my dad taught me only two things about pool; hit the ball on the left, it goes to the right and vice versa. And how to bridge. He taught me the closed bridge, so that was all I ever used most of my life, until I actually took some lessons. It's hard to make an adjustment like that.

When I took lessons they taught to use the open bridge as much as possible, but I struggle with it. A hit with any oomph at all and it is very difficult for me to keep the cue stoke going through the cue ball straight.

But on soft shots it goes through the cue ball nice and straight. I am getting better with it over time. But when I see someone like Neils Feijen hit a full table length shot with draw with an open bridge, it blows my mind.

Here's how I use the open bridge as of now: short shots, that require little power, that are more or less straight in, and especially if I want to hit the cue ball low.

One thing I have found that helps me line it up better is to turn my bridge hand inward more, such that your finger tips are not pointing forward so much as they are pointing to the side. If you are right handed, then try rotating your (left) bridge hand to the right so that your finger tips are pointing more to the right. Vice versa for left handers. How much to rotate is up to you to experiment with.

Hope that helps a little.

Fatz

Dopc

www.PoolActionTV.com
Silver Member
My thoughts are get accustomed to all bridge types, let the shot dictate which bridge is used. First, use what's most comfortable for you up to the point it becomes a hindrance. Any shot where your setup is not obstructed, use what you feel most comfortable with and have the most success with. One example being, you feel most comfortable using a closed bridge, but now have to shot over an obstructing ball, at this point switch to an elevated open bridge, not much other options with this one.

Another example being, shooting off the rail with follow, or a ball frozen to the rail. You have several options, an open bridge, an index finger over the shaft or a closed bridge. Here a closed bridge may not be suitable/desirable to prevent an elevated downward impact, which would likely result in some undesired spin moving the cue ball off-line.

So in summary.Practice with what makes you feel most comfortable and successful with, in addition to all other bridge types in all potential situations, because they will come up in game play. Some people feel aiming is easier with an open bridge as the cue stick is fully visible, while others have no issues aiming with a closed bridge. It's your call, your game. Have fun.....

Dopc.

Last edited:

sfvpool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Open / Closed Bridge

I aim down the shaft when shooting long shots off of the rail, or when jacked-up. I have found doing so ensures I make the ball.

FrankieD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing I have found that helps me line it up better is to turn my bridge hand inward more, such that your finger tips are not pointing forward so much as they are pointing to the side. If you are right handed, then try rotating your (left) bridge hand to the right so that your finger tips are pointing more to the right.

I'll give it a whirl. Thanks.

My thoughts are get accustomed to all bridge types, let the shot dictate which bridge is used. First, use what's most comfortable for you up to the point it becomes a hindrance. Any shot where your setup is not obstructed, use what you feel most comfortable with and have the most success with.

That's pretty sound advice. :thumbup:

ps611846

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Closed bridge for me. Helps me keep my cue angled. I don't aim with my shaft and the "parallel cue" rule is not for me..............

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
When I took lessons they taught to use the open bridge as much as possible, but I struggle with it. A hit with any oomph at all and it is very difficult for me to keep the cue stoke going through the cue ball straight.

Fatz

Fatz,

I'm just curious.

Did the instructor(s) that 'taught' you to use an open bridge explain why?

Were they changing your stroke to one where cue stick rocks & travels in a non straight fashion instead of straight through the the opening of the closed bridge like a piston in a cylinder?

Again, I'm just curious.

Best Wishes,
Rick

sfvpool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Open / Closed Bridge

I aim down the shaft when shooting long shots off of the rail, or when jacked-up. I have found doing so ensures I make the ball.

ps611846

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You mean you aim down the shaft when shooting long straight-ins or any long shot? I would say it would be possible for long straight-ins if you aim center to center. But not for other long shots......................................

Dopc

www.PoolActionTV.com
Silver Member

Where does one obtain this "ensurance of making the ball" and is there an annual renewal fee? If so count me in. :thumbup:

LOL...I'm just bustin your chops for laughs and giggles, I knew what you meant...

Dopc

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
You mean you aim down the shaft when shooting long straight-ins or any long shot? I would say it would be possible for long straight-ins if you aim center to center. But not for other long shots......................................

ps............,

How do you 'aim'?

Best,
Rick

sfvpool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Open / Closed Bridge

I mean I aim down the shaft when on the rail on long shots.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
The reason I ask is, I've only heard of this on AZ and only recently. It goes against everything I ever learned about aiming.

There are several ways to "aim". Stick aiming is a very popular method. So is aiming with the cue ball.

What have you been taught?

randyg