Ralph Greenleaf novel

J.D. Dolan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm writing a novel about Ralph Greenleaf, a man many consider to be the greatest straight pool player of all time.

You may have seen some of my other pool-related writing in Esquire (about training with Jerry Briesath), or in Details (about one pocket, and also about the whole IPT fiasco. My work has also been anthologized in Best American Sports Writing.

Anyway, I've got an Author Page on Facebook, and I'd like to invite you to LIKE my page.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Author-JD-Dolan/194316727256655

I'll have updates about the novel's progress (hope to have it done by June), as well as stuff about Greenleaf.

Thanks,
J.D. Dolan

ugotactionTX

I'm in dead rack!
Silver Member
SIGN ME UP FOR A COPY !

I have always been kind of drawn to the old players for some reason... Greenleaf, Caras, Taberski et al.

I've read and watched pretty much everything that's available. Can't wait to read it. any earth shattering revelations?

Last edited:

J.D. Dolan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SIGN ME UP FOR A COPY !

I have always been kind of drawn to the old players for some reason... Greenleaf, Caras, Taberski et al.

I've read and watched pretty much everything that's available. Can't wait to read it. any earth shattering revelations?

Hopefully the whole thing's a revelation!

J.D. Dolan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Esquire used to have it online but I don't see it now. You may have to hit the library. It ran in February 1998.

BayGene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ralph Greenleaf

Can't wait to read it. When I was a kid hanging out a Julian's Billiard Academy on 14th Street, some of the oldtimers claimed to have played him.

Toncam

Another Bum !
Silver Member
I look forward to this work, i enjoy reading about the older straight pool champs and there should have been a book done about this man years ago.
Someone who they claim was paid more than Babe Ruth during the 20,s and was one of the biggest stars of the era should have had a work done on him.
I enjoyed the little bit that was in the book "McGoorty" where he claims Ralph was waiting for McGoorty to bring him some whisky in Chicago before going out to play in a big match, lol.
Best of luck on the project !

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
I too enjoy reading about the greats of yesteryear so you have another sale here JDD when it's done. I just started The Hustler and the Champ about Fats and Mosconi. :)

jhugo

Registered
Ordered the collection from Best American series used and really enjoyed your short story - thank you!

J.D. Dolan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I too enjoy reading about the greats of yesteryear so you have another sale here JDD when it's done. I just started The Hustler and the Champ about Fats and Mosconi. :)

Fats idolized Greenleaf (as most of the players of that era did), and Mosconi...well, that's another story.