Ralph Greenleaf novel

J.D. Dolan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm writing a novel about Ralph Greenleaf, a man many consider to be the greatest straight pool player of all time.

You may have seen some of my other pool-related writing in Esquire (about training with Jerry Briesath), or in Details (about one pocket, and also about the whole IPT fiasco. My work has also been anthologized in Best American Sports Writing.

Anyway, I've got an Author Page on Facebook, and I'd like to invite you to LIKE my page.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Autho...94316727256655

I'll have updates about the novel's progress (hope to have it done by June), as well as stuff about Greenleaf.

Thanks,
J.D. Dolan

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm interested in this and will be following you. Sounds very cool! :)

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
J.D. is a great writer - and a pretty dam good shooter as a matter of fact.

If you have any interest in Greenleaf whatsoever (or straight pool for that matter), you won't want to miss this book!

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
J.D....Good to see you posting! I've always enjoyed your writing style. Definitely looking forward to reading your new novel on Greenleaf! I've missed shooting with you at Tim's old place, though I did get to shoot a little with him recently at Lance's place. Are you still around Kzoo?

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
I don't do social media, but want a copy of the book when it's out...be sure to let us all know!

Vyc

╭∩╮(︶︿&#650
Silver Member
I am very interested in this book, and will be following you also.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JD,

As you'll readily know, a novel is generally understood to contain a fair amount (if not the entire amount) of fictionalized content.

Will this material about Greenleaf be "Based on the life of" as they say, or entirely non-fictionalized material as we'd see in a Greenleaf estate-authorized (or unauthorized) pure biography?

In either case, any fan of our sport has read the excellent quality of your work and undoubtedly looks forward to your projected Greenleaf material.

Arnaldo

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm writing a novel about Ralph Greenleaf, a man many consider to be the greatest straight pool player of all time.

You may have seen some of my other pool-related writing in Esquire (about training with Jerry Briesath), or in Details (about one pocket, and also about the whole IPT fiasco. My work has also been anthologized in Best American Sports Writing.

Anyway, I've got an Author Page on Facebook, and I'd like to invite you to LIKE my page.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Autho...94316727256655

I'll have updates about the novel's progress (hope to have it done by June), as well as stuff about Greenleaf.

Thanks,
J.D. Dolan

I had breakfast with JD a couple editions of the DCC ago and he told me all about it. Social media or not, you all are going to like it :)

Lou Figueroa

J.D. Dolan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, guys.

Scott--yes, I'm around and I've got a 9' Diamond table in my writing studio, so let's play.

Arnaldo--the novel is fiction but it's based on many years of research. I was fortunate to know Babe Cranfield, who first told me about Greenleaf. Babe was world champion in '64 and told me Greenleaf was the best he'd ever seen. I also interviewed Jimmy Caras, Irving Crane, and many others who knew Greenleaf (including Greenleaf's niece!). I also managed to find Greenleaf family letters, and audio tapes made by Mrs. Greenleaf--the vaudeville star Princess Nai Tai Tai, The Oriental Nightingale.

Please LIKE my author page on Facebook and I'll tell you more about it and give you updates. There have been exactly two pool renaissances since pool was at its heyday during the 1920s: the first was after The Hustler, and the second was after The Color of Money. Let's hope Greenleaf the novel (and, hopefully, Greenleaf the movie) help usher in the next one. You can help make that happen.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Thanks, guys.

Scott--yes, I'm around and I've got a 9' Diamond table in my writing studio, so let's play.

Arnaldo--the novel is fiction but it's based on many years of research. I was fortunate to know Babe Cranfield, who first told me about Greenleaf. Babe was world champion in '64 and told me Greenleaf was the best he'd ever seen. I also interviewed Jimmy Caras, Irving Crane, and many others who knew Greenleaf (including Greenleaf's niece!). I also managed to find Greenleaf family letters, and audio tapes made by Mrs. Greenleaf--the vaudeville star Princess Nai Tai Tai, The Oriental Nightingale.

Please LIKE my author page on Facebook and I'll tell you more about it and give you updates. There have been exactly two pool renaissances since pool was at its heyday during the 1920s: the first was after The Hustler, and the second was after The Color of Money. Let's hope Greenleaf the novel (and, hopefully, Greenleaf the movie) help usher in the next one. You can help make that happen.

Brunswick made a cue similar to the Willie Hoppe Professional in what I think is the late 1930's - it was a Raplh Greenleaf signature cue.

What I think may have happened is he had a falling out with Brunswick due to his public drunkeness - at least that's the story I heard - where they embraced the image of Willie Hoppe.

Anything you can do to shed light on this would be helpful - here's an example of one:

http://www.3cushion.com/on%20line%20collection/cues/greenleaf.htm

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
I've always thought that Greenleaf's life story would make a great movie, all the elements of heroism, love, drama, tragedy...good luck with this, it really could be the next "renaissance" if presented properly.

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
Thanks, guys.

JD,
Have you spoken with George Fels and Tom Shaw? They both have lots of material on Greenleaf.

When I first started pool back in 1970, I also started reading and collecting material on the great champs. Ralph Greenleaf was my first "favorite" player when I was 11. He's still in my top 10 of all-time.

I was really hoping R A Dyer would do another book, this time on Greenleaf, Taberski and Rudolph. What a fantastic period that was in pooldom!

I'm eager to read your book. In your answer to Arnoldo's post #9, you clarified what your concept would be. I have to be real honest, I sure hope you put all the info you've collected over the years in the book.
I guess assuming what he may have said and taking a little liberty with areas that we'll never know about are fine, considering he's been dead since 1950.

I'm most assuredly going to purchase a copy when it come out. Good luck and best wishes on this project!

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
JD Dolan is a first-rate supporter of pool and an EXCELLENT writer of pool. JD has been kind enough to help edit my books and movie scripts. He can play. Ralph Greenleaf, the Movie. Think that might give pool a good kick in the ass?

Beard

J.D. Dolan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brunswick made a cue similar to the Willie Hoppe Professional in what I think is the late 1930's - it was a Raplh Greenleaf signature cue.

What I think may have happened is he had a falling out with Brunswick due to his public drunkeness - at least that's the story I heard - where they embraced the image of Willie Hoppe.

Anything you can do to shed light on this would be helpful - here's an example of one:

http://www.3cushion.com/on%20line%20collection/cues/greenleaf.htm

Yes, Brunswick made a Greenleaf cue. They're fairly common, and as far as I know not particularly collectible. Greenleaf played with a Rambow. In fact, he was buried with it.

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
Circa 1991, there were a lot of people talking about a film already "in the can" about the life of Ralph Greenleaf. Keep in mind there was no Internet or way for the average person to verify such a claim/rumor. Is anyone else aware of this?

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It Will Probably Be a Great Book

I look forward to reading the book but not if you're going to try and promote that stupid notion that Ralph was the best straight pool player to ever live....OMG...what planet do you live on?

Willie destroyed Ralph in US Open Championship Competitive Play (2500 point matches) and Mr. Mosconi's records set in US Open Championship Play are still unmatched to this day.

Ralph was a great player and Willie admired Ralph and used him as a motivator but after Willie came into his own, he trounced everyone including Mr. Greenleaf.

Say what you will but you're writing a piece of fiction if you think Ralph was better than Willie.

Matt B.

Last edited: