Jimmy Caras' father's pool room in Wilmington

J.D. Dolan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anybody happen to know the name of Jimmy Caras' father's pool room in Wilmington, DE? This was in the mid-1920s. Long-shot, I know, but the collective knowledge of AZBers always continues to amaze me.

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anybody happen to know the name of Jimmy Caras' father's pool room in Wilmington, DE? This was in the mid-1920s. Long-shot, I know, but the collective knowledge of AZBers always continues to amaze me.
If anybody would know it would be Bob Maidhof of Drexiline billiards. He probably knows more about Jimmy Caras than anybody else alive.

homepc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also found this:

Jimmy Caras, Wilmington's only World Champion, had a pool hall in town, as well. The entrance to Caras's establishment was exactly next to the old Warner Theater on Delaware Avenue. My informant told me that he couldn't remember if you turned right or left when you got to the top of the stairs. Maybe, on a really quiet night, if you listen carefully, you can still hear somewhere up on the second floor of the bank building that's now located there, the faint sound of the break as Jimmy Caras wields his ghostly cue.

homepc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Warner Theater was located at 210 W. 10th Street, Wilmington, DE 19801

homepc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here you go....

large.jpg

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yep, saw that one--but no mention of the name of the Caras pool room. Thanks, though.

It does mention Jimmy Caras' "Tenth Street Billiard Parlor," as if that was the name of the place rather than just its location. But that room might not have been his father's place. The book says his father "owned several pool rooms around town."

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can see above the drugstore 'CARAS', '10', ' ACADEMY', 'TABLES'. Since this photo appears to be from the thirties or early forties. My best guess for the name is; JAMES CARAS BILLIARDS ACADEMY 10 TABLES. xradarx

the photo is definitely from sometime during World War II. The sign on the movie theater says war bonds. So probably 1942 to 1945.
i looked up the movie Up In Arms and it was made in 1944.

J.D. Dolan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob Maidhof sent me this one. I think Caras' father owned four pool rooms in Wilmington.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 155