Lucky Guy

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, this past weekend I went up to Alsip, IL to play in the occasional Red Shoes 1pocket tournament. My game has been suspect lately, not getting much opportunity to compete, but my wife, Gail, insisted because it had been several years since I'd traveled north and seen my good bud, Monsignor John Lavin, Red Shoes proprietor.

We went up Friday, did some shopping and hung out at one of our favorite hole-in-the-walls, then went to the tournament Saturday. Long story short: I went undefeated on the A side, through a short field, and lost to Piggy Banks in the finals.

It was great to see my hermano, John, several of the old hands at Red Shoes -- *everyone* there can play -- and be forced to play Chicago-style 1pocket. I learned a few things up there this time, as always.

But, here's the thing: Gail sweated the whole thing like a champ. From noon to 1am. She had an e-reader with her but when I was playing she watched and afterwards told me she even tried to predict what shot I'd shoot.

Lucky guy.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

CMarshall

D player at best
Silver Member
My wife supports my pool obsession too, she's a good woman. I'm very lucky. Sounds like you are too…
:thumbup:

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, you are lucky to have a wife that supports your passion for pool. Short of being married to a pro female player, not sure anyone has posted better examples than you. :thumbup:

My wife is similar in supporting my passion, but slightly different....when I play pool, she goes shopping for shoes she doesn't need..... :eek:

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nice

It sounds like you are a very lucky guy, and great showing at getting 2nd I'm sure it was a tough field.

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
Yes, you are lucky to have a wife that supports your passion for pool. Short of being married to a pro female player, not sure anyone has posted better examples than you. :thumbup:

My wife is similar in supporting my passion, but slightly different....when I play pool, she goes shopping for shoes she doesn't need..... :eek:

You get off easy with just the shoes. I came home one weekend and had a house and a car.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good going on getting 2nd Lou! Always nice to have someone special in your corner!

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
You are lucky indeed. There's an older couple that generally come in on the weekend where I play. They rent a table & play all day together. They both play very well.

I always find myself admiring them as they enjoy the game & each other. He's a lucky guy, so are you.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are a lucky guy. I am too but my wife will not set foot in a poolroom. She has no problem with me playing whenever I like though. Had a little run at the Expo this year and she surprised me by showing up for my third and fourth match in the seniors. First time she has ever seen me play and she met a lot of my pool friends. Glad you have a wife that let's you enjoy your life and it's nice you enjoy things together.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My wife supports my pool playing but she won't sweat the matches. Maybe that's good.

Thanks Lou for the great story, I'm from the Chicago area and love to hear about our places and players.

Last edited:

Chi2dxa

Lost over C&D Triangle
Silver Member
lucky guy

I was there and saw you when you were playing piggy. You sir have a great game!!!

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My wife has always given me the courtesy of freedom to do or buy anything pool related. But what really brings tears to eyes is she buys her own jewelry. Makes me cry sometimes.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
"My game has been suspect lately, not getting much opportunity to compete, but my wife, Gail, insisted because it had been several years since I'd traveled north and seen my good bud, Monsignor John Lavin, Red Shoes proprietor."

image2.png

"Hey Oscar! Let me counta da number of commas in dat sentence ha ha ha!

One comma! HA HA HA
Two! TWO commas!! HA HA HA
Three! THREE commas!!! HA HA HA
FOUR! FOUR freakin' commas!!!! HA HA HA
FIVE! FIVE commas can you believe it man??!? HA HA HA
SIX!! SIX ALMOST LOST COUNT AT SIX COMMAS!! HA HA HAAAA

seven_7days

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel extremely lucky to have been with the same woman for 7 years

...but, if my wife found out about her, I'm a dead man for sure.

Last edited: