RKC new business idea

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You must not know him very well :D.
If he thinks he can make a buck, he's all in.

So what makes you think CJ thinks he can make a buck?

Ask your self this question: how many guys that you know would give RKC $100.00? For that matter, how many pool players have $100.00?:D

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few more details...

There will be a permanent facility in Nampa, ID (Idaho, not Indonesia) with 256 tables in a 90,000 sqft ex-Kmart.

With 256 players eliminated each three hours, some amount of time between matches for each player, and up to 12 hours of play per day, I figure it will take 9 days.

Here is a picture of the proposed venue.

View attachment 558902

Not going to happen.

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ask your self this question: how many guys that you know would give RKC $100.00? :D

4096 people can give him the $100.

That makes a grand total of $409,600.00

We have that many players right here on the fantastic AZBilliards.

Come on people, lets put all that money into his hands, WHAT could possibly go wrong?

:wink:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think this plan could work, but the real question is whether anyone will be interested in seeing it. Without an audience, it is worthless to sponsors. He talks about a Chinese streaming service:

And what if Tencent in China, the Netflix of China, was willing to pay $200M for a 2 year, exclusive streaming contract for the content ...

I have never heard of China paying much attention to American pool, but I suppose it is possible.

The other thing is that if the money is going to come from sponsors/audience there is no real need to have 4000 players. You are not going to be streaming 256 matches any time soon and if you did 240 of the matches would have fewer than 10 viewers.

I think 64 is about the right number of players as far as an international event that is based on viewership is concerned. Any players beyond that just get underfoot.

The Chinese would never, ever, ever pay 200M to an American to stream American Pool to the Chinese public. The Chinese think Americans are all fat, dumb, and lazy. They could give two hoots about watching them play drunken pool hosted by a chest pounding table mechanic.

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member

Ask your self this question: how many guys that you know would give RKC $100.00? For that matter, how many pool players have $100.00?:D

Nothing at all, that wasn't the point.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... With 256 players eliminated each three hours, some amount of time between matches for each player, and up to 12 hours of play per day, I figure it will take 9 days. ...

Glen's plan is 7 days:

Day 1 (Monday), first half of Round 1 -- 2,048 players each play one match (4 sessions of play), eliminating 1,024 with no prize money.
Day 2 (Tuesday), second half of Round 1 -- the other 2,048 players each play one match (4 sessions of play), eliminating another 1,024 with no prize money.

Day 3 (Wednesday), Round 2 -- the remaining 2,048 players each play one match (4 sessions of play), reducing the field to 1,024. The 1,024 knocked out on Day 3 each receive $250.

Day 4 (Thursday), Rounds 3, 4, and 5 -- Round 3 with 1,024 players (2 sessions of play) eliminates 512 players, who each receive $500. Round 4 with 512 players (1 session) eliminates 256, who each receive $1,000. Round 5 with 256 players (1 session) eliminates 128, who each receive $2,000.

Day 5 (Friday), Rounds 6, 7, and 8 -- The 64 eliminated in Round 6 each receive $4,000, the 32 eliminated in Round 7 each receive $8,000, and the 16 eliminated in Round 8 each receive $16.000.

Day 6 (Saturday), Rounds 9 and 10 -- The 8 losers in the round of 16 each receive $32,000, then the 4 losers in the round of 8 each receive $64,000. 4 players are left for the final day.

Day 7 (Sunday) -- the Semifinals pay $128,000 for each of 3rd and 4th places; the Finals pays $256,000 for 2nd place and $512,000 for 1st place.

Total purse $3,328,000.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Exactly.

Read him talk about truth, honesty, integrity and in the same video, I was at a bar and I had been laying down for a week to get all this guys money. Told him I was a painter.

You must not know him very well :D.
If he thinks he can make a buck, he's all in.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Glen's plan is 7 days:

Day 1 (Monday), ...
Day 7 (Sunday) -- the Semifinals pay $128,000 for each of 3rd and 4th places; the Finals pays $256,000 for 2nd place and $512,000 for 1st place.

Total purse $3,328,000.
I think the staff will be pretty busy and it will be somewhat of an endurance test for the players. Starting with round 4 through 12 (finals) all remaining players will play every round.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
came to the same conclusion

Bob,

I was idly playing with ideas awhile back, dreams that will never come true! I think the ideal format would be to have 64 people able to play pool for a living, maybe even 32 to start.

After things are rolling for a year or two have a qualifier during the off season. The bottom eight players would have their spots at risk and play in the qualifier. The spot of anyone leaving the tour would be added to those eight spots. If the demand justified it, multiple tours could be ran, red, blue, etc, all equal. The tours would meet at the end of the year to decide a champion, maybe only the top players from each tour. Make up a 32 or 64 person event with the best from each tour.

If anyone has checked on that old K-Mart they probably found rental much higher than expected. I checked up on one that had been closed for eight or ten years. The rental was still very steep. Insurance was the big bite. Back in the eighties that old building cost a couple thousand a month with the doors closed. Open the doors and it jumped to about six thousand. Those numbers are about thirty years old but I doubt things have gotten cheaper.

It was as cheap or cheaper to build a new building a few miles from the K-Mart building. Nicer area, growing instead of decaying. Everything in that new building under warranty too. I understood part of urban blight now, not that it did me any good!

Hu

I think this plan could work, but the real question is whether anyone will be interested in seeing it. Without an audience, it is worthless to sponsors. He talks about a Chinese streaming service:

And what if Tencent in China, the Netflix of China, was willing to pay $200M for a 2 year, exclusive streaming contract for the content ...

I have never heard of China paying much attention to American pool, but I suppose it is possible.

The other thing is that if the money is going to come from sponsors/audience there is no real need to have 4000 players. You are not going to be streaming 256 matches any time soon and if you did 240 of the matches would have fewer than 10 viewers.

I think 64 is about the right number of players as far as an international event that is based on viewership is concerned. Any players beyond that just get underfoot.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
I spoke with Glen on the phone last year about this plan.
I loved what I heard but live in AZ so I won't be going if it happens.
His plans included a big name streaming service as well.

It would be great if he could pull it off.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glen's plan is 7 days:

Day 1 (Monday), first half of Round 1 -- 2,048 players each play one match (4 sessions of play), eliminating 1,024 with no prize money.
Day 2 (Tuesday), second half of Round 1 -- the other 2,048 players each play one match (4 sessions of play), eliminating another 1,024 with no prize money.

Day 3 (Wednesday), Round 2 -- the remaining 2,048 players each play one match (4 sessions of play), reducing the field to 1,024. The 1,024 knocked out on Day 3 each receive $250.

Day 4 (Thursday), Rounds 3, 4, and 5 -- Round 3 with 1,024 players (2 sessions of play) eliminates 512 players, who each receive $500. Round 4 with 512 players (1 session) eliminates 256, who each receive $1,000. Round 5 with 256 players (1 session) eliminates 128, who each receive $2,000.

Day 5 (Friday), Rounds 6, 7, and 8 -- The 64 eliminated in Round 6 each receive $4,000, the 32 eliminated in Round 7 each receive $8,000, and the 16 eliminated in Round 8 each receive $16.000.

Day 6 (Saturday), Rounds 9 and 10 -- The 8 losers in the round of 16 each receive $32,000, then the 4 losers in the round of 8 each receive $64,000. 4 players are left for the final day.

Total purse $3,328,000.

Castles in the sky. Some people shouldn't be allowed near a calculator.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bob,

I was idly playing with ideas awhile back, dreams that will never come true! I think the ideal format would be to have 64 people able to play pool for a living, maybe even 32 to start.

That's roughly how 3-cushion and snooker are organized now. If you are in the top 12 at 3-C, you are automatically in the final 32 of tour events. In addition, your travel and hotel are paid for by the promoter. The top 12 work to stay there and show up at all the events. That guarantees good matches for the organizer.

For snooker, there seems to be a "tour card" which you can get through "Q-School" or by doing well in events. (Some non-tour events seem to get you a card.) Don't do well and you lose your card.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I spoke with Glen on the phone last year about this plan.
I loved what I heard but live in AZ so I won't be going if it happens.
His plans included a big name streaming service as well.

It would be great if he could pull it off.

I wouldn’t want to watch anything except the last couple of rounds. If that really. I wouldn’t pay to watch Dennis club some APA 5. The whole thing sounds like a disaster waiting to happen but I doubt it will. Hopefully I’m wrong.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn’t want to watch anything except the last couple of rounds. If that really. I wouldn’t pay to watch Dennis club some APA 5. The whole thing sounds like a disaster waiting to happen but I doubt it will. Hopefully I’m wrong.

That's a great point, maybe he should limit it from the pros. Afterall, the pros already have their following, maybe by having a large payout for amateurs then more amateurs will get involved?

aaronataylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who's holding the Escrow money? Have a nice day. :wink:

Not sure who's holding it, but Glenn told me on the phone about two weeks ago that Starbucks was providing/donating the $3 million. I just shook my head while he was explaining it all. After listening to him rant for nearly 20 minutes about his grand master plan, I decided that would be my first and last discussion with Glenn.

Last edited: