Illinois Billiard Club

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cool find...some incredible photos @link.

Anybody here call this spot 'home'?
https://www.bonniesdiningandbanquets.com/about/history
24.jpg

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
That's was pretty damn cool, thanks for sharing. I was absolutely born in the wrong era, I swear lol

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cool find...some incredible photos @link.

Anybody here call this spot 'home'?
https://www.bonniesdiningandbanquets.com/about/history
24.jpg
That's not the physical location of the Illinois Billiard Club unless they have greatly expanded since I was there. They had about six tables -- pool and carom -- and a restaurant that seated maybe 25 people, IIRC. No large room like that. I assume that was an event they organized in what looks like a ballroom of some sort.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's not the physical location of the Illinois Billiard Club unless they have greatly expanded since I was there. They had about six tables -- pool and carom -- and a restaurant that seated maybe 25 people, IIRC. No large room like that. I assume that was an event they organized in what looks like a ballroom of some sort.

That was a pic from 1989 us open. iirc, the last major even held at prior location.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was there in the balcony just above the table. Mike Massey was there and did a trick shot exhibition. I was a bit shocked when Ortmann beat Mizerak.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those photos are from the original IBC location on S. Pulaski. They had a huge building. The pool room was separate from the two-story 'exhibition hall' ballroom. Jim Parker's wife Bonnie ran a pretty good catering business out of there for several years. When the Oliva Women's League celebrated their 25th anniversary they held the event at the current IBC location. Jerry Briesath and I were both mentors to the ladies (Frank Oliva was my first teacher). I did a trick shot exhibition after we all had dinner! It was a lot of fun, and Jim has always been a gracious host. I've done many lessons out there over the years.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Those photos are from the original IBC location on S. Pulaski. They had a huge building. The pool room was separate from the two-story 'exhibition hall' ballroom. Jim Parker's wife Bonnie ran a pretty good catering business out of there for several years. When the Oliva Women's League celebrated their 25th anniversary they held the event at the current IBC location. Jerry Briesath and I were both mentors to the ladies (Frank Oliva was my first teacher). I did a trick shot exhibition after we all had dinner! It was a lot of fun, and Jim has always been a gracious host. I've done many lessons out there over the years.
Was the big hall normally used for pool or the restaurant? It seems like a sort of strange place to have either.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Was too long ago for me to remember the details, but I do remember an upstairs balcony. Cards Checkers, Chess area.

Went there on a whim and had a name to drop. Knocked on the door and literally, Jim slid a small door open to see who was there. I dropped the magic name and I was an honored member for a day.

Maybe wrong but something tells me there was an earlier room even.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played at both locations. Too distant to travel to regularly, so was never officially a member. Jim asked me to join their 14.1 league though in order to fill the schedule, and gave me a key to the new club. I thus made the 4 hour drive many times, but when he suddenly pressed me to pay the substantial membership fee, I wouldn’t unless he agreed to obtain a ball cleaning machine (balls there were always incredibly sticky). He refused, so I turned in my key (a decision I came to regret).

Re: George Fels: I called him one day and aggressively prodded him to meet me at Chris’ to play 14.1. Instead, he steered me to be tortured by the world’s slowest player (a joke I’m sure he enjoyed).

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ive been enjoying the input, all.

Not much else to share about it, though I often use the last name 'Fels'- honorem Geo.- when I need an AKA.

secret's out.

sonny burnett

Registered
Great thread. Those of us that used rooms like those are blessed to have the memories. I hope the game comes back strong enough that you young players can experience the same.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It costs a few bucks to become a member and it works on the honor system for table time.
The setting looks elegant and after all, it is in Chicago so you gotta expect it to be pricey.
I’m curious what the hourly rate is for a table. Members receive their own key to come & go.

This is definitely an upscale program that looks top notch. The closest program I’ve seen in
CA is California Billiards in Fremont. Daytime memberships are $120 and Anytime is $160/ mth.
For under $2k a year, you can pool anytime unlimited...sign me up...and the place is really nice.