Metal in cues

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was wondering what it is that causes metal to pop out on a cue stick? Is it a finish issue? I am having a cue made but a friend of mine says a lot of metal will stick out to the point you can feel it.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was wondering what it is that causes metal to pop out on a cue stick? Is it a finish issue? I am having a cue made but a friend of mine says a lot of metal will stick out to the point you can feel it.

Wood shrinks, metal don't, also metal and wood react differently to humidity and temperature. Many cuemakers want do metal rings or metal inlays. If your finish is on the thick side or if you file down the rings a little before finishing, your probably good.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
mine do not pop.................. the finish remains smooth................... the trick it time...... all adhesives and all finishes do not cure and stop shrinking for weeks.............. assemble your cue........ wait 2 weeks............ put on the sealer.......... wait 2 weeks............. put on the finish wait 2 weeks................ while waiting, keep the cue at 75 to 80 degrees....................

your welcome

Kim

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wood shrinks and expands with humidity, metal does not, most finishes barely change.

Metal shrinks and expands significantly with changes in temperature. Every change - multiple x per day. Especially the type metals often used in cues (stainless, silver). Wood barely does (separate from MC change).

Finish & glue is probably shrinking from conditions that cause metal to expand.

All 3 systems are fighting each other, sometimes multiple events per day, but it is mostly the wood and metal acting independently to slightly change size, all the time.

Some cuemakers and furniture makers have evolved methods to deal with it. Nonetheless, there are limits.

smt

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When it comes to metal in cues, it all boils down to proper preparation of the fit to the epoxy and knowing your finishing techniques. I've done my share of work on old Palmer cues. They used the widest metal rings I've come across yet. My shop is temperature and humidity controlled to help me cross my t's and dot my I's. Which is great, FOR ME, and what I do.
But......
It depends on what you do as the customer and your storage techniques that will put it all to the final test. Heat expands metal and cold shrinks it. Every day is a test.
Example
You can laugh, it is a testament of how truly idiotic some people can be. You can't make this up.

Middle of summer. 100 degrees consistantly for days. This guy. Keeps his cues in his case. Yayy
Then he wraps his case with tin foil and puts his case in the trunk of his car.
Very true and sad story. I called the Cue maker and warned him before the customer contacted him.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:D

Dunno if related or not.
Another true story:
Worked on Ollie North's former office at WH/EEOB a decade or so ago.
It was also lined with tinfoil (well, thin metal sheets) under the floor and behind the wall & ceiling surfaces....
There is a segment of the population that believes in the all-purpose efficacy of tinfoil.

smt

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Dunno if related or not.
Another true story:
It was also lined with tinfoil (well, thin metal sheets) under the floor and behind the wall & ceiling surfaces....
There is a segment of the population that believes in the all-purpose efficacy of tinfoil.

smt

Look up Faraday cage...

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Dunno if related or not.
Another true story:

smt

Where did Ollie keep his cue?

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where did Ollie keep his cue

It was long gone by then.
Don't know if the finish popped or not?

I know (more or less) what a faraday cage is.
Depending what is trying to be kept in or out, they are more or less effective.
Kind of like duct tape.

smt

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was long gone by then.
Don't know if the finish popped or not?

I know (more or less) what a faraday cage is.
Depending what is trying to be kept in or out, they are more or less effective.
Kind of like duct tape.

smt[/QUOTE

I do too, now. I looked it up.

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On a non pool note - Faraday cages have been used by some drug reps to keep from being tracked by their company. A few sheets of heavy duty aluminum foil will do the trick. Wrap it around your cell phone and go about your day. Put your phone in airplane mode first to save battery life.