Time to wait before using after tip install

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I've done my 2nd tip, and another great result. As I am getting some interest from others for installing tips on their shafts, I am concerned about how long before it is safe to use, after installing a tip? For the two that I have done, I waited about an hour, but am concerned as what to tell others, as they will probably want to try it out on my table. I am using Loctite Pro, and am quite familiar with using superglues in various forms in my woodturning hobby, but this is somewhat different.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
When they drive off your place, it should be ready to use .
The CA bond is not getting stronger after you've trimmed the tip.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, that's what I needed to know from those in the know. Just did my actual playing cue, so that's three done, and no issues so far. I am careful to get the shaft running as true as possible before trimming the sides of the new tip. Also have been careful to not overheat the tip when burnishing the sides. Not sure how much it matters, but seems like the way to go. Have a match tomorrow night, so I'll shoot a few games now with it, and see how it goes. Appreciate all the help. Would really love to make my own cues, and have a full woodworking shop already, but with the investment involved, and at my age, there wouldn't be many years to enjoy it.

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
With nice clean/flat surfaces and fresh glue,the tip should be ready to go within 60 seconds.

I spread the glue around a little before centering,then hold it firmly in place with my thumb for 15 seconds or so.

By the time I reach down for a paper towel to wipe off the squeeze-out,the tip has set enough to be ready to cut immediately. Tommy D.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
for shooter tips, ready to go once done trimming/shaping. Break tips like phenolic/g10/white diamond I tell them to wait 24 hrs...as even most CAs require 24 for full cure.
Dave