Opinions on Cue Wrap

jimmy91988

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm thinking about changing the wrap on my cue. It currently has a black snake wrap but I was thinking of either black linen with clear coat over the top or white linen wrap or keep it as is. I would appreciate your opinions. Thanks

Last edited:

asiasdad

Banned
As is or white linen are both good. It all depends if you
want the black or the white in the cue to be the dominate visual.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
A waxed linen wrap works well under all humid/dry conditions. If you sweat allot, get linen. Varner made me change yrs ago back to linen, room conditions are always in flux.

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think black looks best, linen or leather. Black with brown linen might be interesting.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it were a more traditional design I would say green spec.

I think this cue looks great with a black wrap.

Black linen? Sure.

Black leather? Sure.

I vote linen because I like linen, but go leather if you like leather.

I recently dyed a green spec (not Cortland) wrap black because it had issues. I figured if I screwed it up I would be getting a re-wrap in black leather anyway, so I felt free to experiment.

I am so pleased at how it came out I am keeping it as is. Feels great, looks great. This is the cue, a McDermott E-k1 that I got cheap that was perfect except the wrap.

1545780993_20181223_121818.jpg

jimmy91988

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm still on the fence about the white linen but I'm going to keep the cue as is for now. The white linen gives it a classic feel but the black does flow with the design better. I do prefer the feel of a wrapless cue and this wrap comes pretty close. I'll post update pics in the future if I do change it.

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the snake is sealed i would leave it alone.

Good point.

Just going from leather to linen poses additional work having to build up the wrap groove as I understand it.

If it is finish over leather that issue is greatly compounded with an even deeper groove and the necessity to strip the entire cue I would guess.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good point.

Just going from leather to linen poses additional work having to build up the wrap groove as I understand it.

If it is finish over leather that issue is greatly compounded with an even deeper groove and the necessity to strip the entire cue I would guess.

i've had this problem and always wondered why a thicker gauge of linen couldn't be used.

Robert58

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
i've had this problem and always wondered why a thicker gauge of linen couldn't be used.

Back in the 60's I had a two piece cue that had a leather wrap that came unglued. I took it of and sent down to the sporting goods store and I bought some braided deep sea fishing line big enough to fill the groove. I think it was 60 lb. test. Had different colors every 6 ft. Turned out looking like some of the wrap leather wraps they are doing now. Sure added a fair amount of weight thou.

But I have aa JD Cue made in 2011 that I bought used. I wanted to replace the leather wrap and when my cue repair man removed the wrap we found out the leather was .045 thick. I called Superior Cues and had them shive a piece of Spanish Bull leather .045 to .048 thick. Really came out nice. I think that is the thickness leather should be anyway. I can't stand these new cues with the thin hard leather on them.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I guess it could be if you could find the right thickness. Considering linen fishing line isn't made any more the alternatives for variety are few. The linen made for cues now is all the same thickness as far as I know. Getting it to feel right and look right might be another matter as well.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member

Actually, one of the techniques of the cuemaker is to use what's called fine line tape against the outer grooves of the wrap channel to build it up, just a tiny bit before putting the linen wrap on. Then, when they press the linen wrap, it's absolutely perfect on the buttsleeve and forearm.

All the best,
WW