Most difficult 9 Ball Tournament?

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which Open 9 Ball Tournament is the most prestigious, the most sought after title, draws the toughest competition, the hardest to win, the Holy Grail of all things 9 Ball?

U.S Open, China Open, World 9 Ball, International 9 Ball, etc.?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure there i one answer.

Asians coming to America and Americans traveling to Asia would likely have different answers.

Things are easier at home: better food, better people and better beer...yuh know?

Ģüśţāṿ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Especially accounting for jet lag, tournaments are certainly easier when you're on your home turf. Trying to focus at an extremely high level when your sleep schedule is all messed up is no easy feat.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Back from the Dead

Which Open 9 Ball Tournament is the most prestigious, the most sought after title, draws the toughest competition, the hardest to win, the Holy Grail of all things 9 Ball?

To me, an older player now....who finished 17-24 twice in the early 90's, here's my thoughts.

The format, the payout, rules, the full monty have to be looked at if you want to know ''which game is the best''.

Playing in the Open is like playing in a PGA event the first two dayz NON STOP....Just to Get In....THE US OPEN 9 BALL takes THREE DAYZ :), trying to make the cut.

With the winner break format and large packages, it's the true ''animal'' that works and makes this rotation game Fast/Loose/and Exciting....Winner now gets Paid Dbl from yrs past. 60K

Back in those days, an expression I used more than once in a good way. ''Assume the Position''. ''Your rackin''.

One thing I've learned about winner break play is this. When your doing All the racking/losing "(racktice)", what's your ONLY job? Make sure he doesn't make a ball, and if he does....which balls went in, and where were they within the rack? Then next rack, put then in a different order. Orcullo last yr. started smiling....when Niels b&r a 6 pack after the lag. Then he won 1, and lost the next two and started Laughing out loud. he's only down 8-1.

In winner breaks, I've seen Great players come back from the dead more than one time (Buddy Hall). This format, when you've got a HUGE lead and someone comes back and beats you, is one of the best moments in this sport. This format offers that. No different that a PGA golfer getting hot and getting 9 birdies in a row, it can and DOES happen. It's different seeing a player win and loose in this manner than any other format....it puts the GAME back in the GAME. Alt break can become boring compared to this format.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

It's the World 9-ball Championship., the only one of these in which nearly all the elite players of both Europe and Asia enter, typically joined by the handful of American players who enjoy high world rankings.

The US Open 9-ball is closing the gap, and may be the answer to this question within a few years. Matchroom is building something very sepcial here, but at least for now, there's quite a bit of dead money in the field.

For now, the China Open is, more or less, on a par with the US Open 9-ball, with a smaller, yet very elite field.

The International is slowly evolving into a killer event, but isn't there yet, There's plenty of dead money in the field of 128.

So, for now:

1. World 9-ball Championship
2A US Open 9-ball
2B China Open 9-ball
4 International 9-Ball

Yes, the World 9-ball Championship is the holy grail in 9-ball, but I think that could change.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's the World 9-ball Championship., the only one of these in which nearly all the elite players of both Europe and Asia enter, typically joined by the handful of American players who enjoy high world rankings.

The US Open 9-ball is closing the gap, and may be the answer to this question within a few years. Matchroom is building something very sepcial here, but at least for now, there's quite a bit of dead money in the field.

For now, the China Open is, more or less, on a par with the US Open 9-ball, with a smaller, yet very elite field.

The International is slowly evolving into a killer event, but isn't there yet, There's plenty of dead money in the field of 128.

So, for now:

1. World 9-ball Championship

2A US Open 9-ball

2B China Open 9-ball

4 International 9-Ball

Yes, the World 9-ball Championship is the holy grail in 9-ball, but I think that could change.

Damn Stu...I was just gonna post my list without looking, and scrolled to the bottom only to see your post saying exactly what I would say. However, I’d probably wedge the DCC 9 ball in there as a #3. I think WPC is a firm #1. I think for a non Chinese player that lives in China, China open might be #2, and vice versa for the Chinese or Asian players coming for the US Open.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums