Gambling stiory beware

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I removed my intersting story about winning money,playing poker on an airplane,winning the guys entry fee to the world series of poker

my fear of flyoing and the plane landing and force to take off inthe middle of a big hand

my wite complaining

so i took it off but look wjhat happened

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
you have to give people time to see it!

removed for lack of interest

Dean,

Most people never saw the story. You have to let them have time to see it and comment. Some people read first and comment after reading all they want to read.

Hu

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Dean,

Most people never saw the story. You have to let them have time to see it and comment. Some people read first and comment after reading all they want to read.

Hu

Correct you are Hu.
I will read all of Deano’s stories but I have been known to miss a day here and there.

Dean is one of the best story tellers since....well you!

I do miss the old days when there were many more interesting members around these parts, we still have many but the trolls have been sneaken around also.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
the old days

Correct you are Hu.
I will read all of Deano’s stories but I have been known to miss a day here and there.

Dean is one of the best story tellers since....well you!

I do miss the old days when there were many more interesting members around these parts, we still have many but the trolls have been sneaken around also.

Thanks for the compliment! I read an old thread that got bumped a few nights ago. Some great old posters were in the thread and I started reading old posts for awhile. We all know "the good old days were better!" no matter what. Looking at AZB, the good old days really were better. A personal favorite Dollar Bill, Smorg, Old Has Been, many many more. Now if old timers are around they don't say much knowing that they will have to battle with youngsters no matter what they say. JoeyA had stories to match or surpass anyone's. He seems to not have time to post anymore. If you find his personal website he has great stories posted about pool, pinball, fishing, life.

We have a few on here that have a lot of stories to tell but remain quiet for whatever reasons. I wish they would tell a few, might get a little of the old AZB feel back.

Hu

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the compliment! I read an old thread that got bumped a few nights ago. Some great old posters were in the thread and I started reading old posts for awhile. We all know "the good old days were better!" no matter what. Looking at AZB, the good old days really were better. A personal favorite Dollar Bill, Smorg, Old Has Been, many many more. Now if old timers are around they don't say much knowing that they will have to battle with youngsters no matter what they say. JoeyA had stories to match or surpass anyone's. He seems to not have time to post anymore. If you find his personal website he has great stories posted about pool, pinball, fishing, life.

We have a few on here that have a lot of stories to tell but remain quiet for whatever reasons. I wish they would tell a few, might get a little of the old AZB feel back.

Hu

It was a totally different era Hu, when every little town had a pool hall and there were dozens in every big city. There were at least a few hundred guys running all over the country playing pool and having fun. You could make a living even if you were just shortstop speed as long as you avoided the big guns. There were lots and lots of local players who would play cheap money games ($5-$20 pool), so that you could make a living. Expenses weren't that great back then and you could get by on twenty bucks a day easily.

I figured out once that I played well over 300 different players, some more than once, in an 8-10 year period of my life. And that's a conservative number. I only slowed down because I bought my first pool hall and had to work every day. I still probably had a money game maybe once every week or so. And there were guys I knew that were much more active than me! And for a lot longer as well.

The ones who had the most trouble making games were the champions, since very few people wanted to match up with them. I can remember hanging out in poolrooms and seeing great players sitting on their ass every day and I was playing all the time in the same place. There's more to this story but that's the gist of it.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I was talking about on AZB

It was a totally different era Hu, when every little town had a pool hall and there were dozens in every big city. There were at least a few hundred guys running all over the country playing pool and having fun. You could make a living even if you were just shortstop speed as long as you avoided the big guns. There were lots and lots of local players who would play cheap money games ($5-$20 pool), so that you could make a living. Expenses weren't that great back then and you could get by on twenty bucks a day easily.

I figured out once that I played well over 300 different players, some more than once, in an 8-10 year period of my life. And that's a conservative number. I only slowed down because I bought my first pool hall and had to work every day. I still probably had a money game maybe once every week or so. And there were guys I knew that were much more active than me! And for a lot longer as well.

The ones who had the most trouble making games were the champions, since very few people wanted to match up with them. I can remember hanging out in poolrooms and seeing great players sitting on their ass every day and I was playing all the time in the same place. There's more to this story but that's the gist of it.

Jay,

I was talking about getting some of the old time feel back on AZB. It was nice to see Melinda post. Reminded me of her efforts to go pro, Smorg, and the jacket that she, JoeyA, and I had a hand in making happen as well as many others.

It didn't take nearly a shortstop by today's figuring to make money in the seventies and eighties. Mostly I used pool to fund my recreational activities but when I needed to pay bills on a home and business from pool I did while rarely driving a hundred miles from home. I searched out every action spot and challenge table I could find. Most I could slide in and out and make a decent little score every few weeks or so. Couldn't cover them all that often but that gave me plenty of fall-back places if the first one or two didn't pan out.

When it came to expenses it paid to know to hit bakeries, deli's, chicken joints, and other fast food places close to closing time. Could often buy several days food they were fixing to throw out and it came cheap!

A hotel or motel was nice to rent when things were plush. When they weren't cruising a few motels with outside doors late night would find a door hanging open. Somebody that only wanted the room for an hour or less had used one bed, the other bed and showers were untouched. A shower, a few hours sleep and on the road again! A bed and air conditioning or a heater in the winter beat hell out of sleeping in a vehicle.

Funny thing, the only time I went hungry on the road was when I was working a legitimate job. I had spent all of my advance money to pay bills and ended up with a quarter a day to live on for about ten days! That bought a bag of chips out of the vending machine where I was working and the coffee was free. A month or two later I was going through my wallet for a phone number I had lost and found a hundred dollar bill I kept squirreled away. I would have sworn I had spent it but there it was hidden away deep in a compartment. I had ate only one of the small vending machine bags of chips each day for almost two weeks with a hundred dollar bill in my pocket!

That job was in a dry parish(county), no pool hall handy or I would have tried to grow that two dollars. I was getting paid very well on that job plus expenses and per dium. Once I got my first check I ate lunch in a little restaurant where the plant wheels ate every day. Good times for the most part and I made a real friend there so fond memories of everything but a few missed meals!

Hu

Dusty5150

Registered
I read it! I'm new to pool and have no idea who you guys are but I like dean's stories. They make me think of my grandfather, who I never really knew, who is too old to tell stories now. I wish he could, because I do know that he played a lot pool back in the '40's & '50's... I've heard rumor that he bought my grandmothers engagement ring with 'pool money' and I'd love to hear that story. I'm sure he had lots :(

keep 'em coming Dean :)

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well of all things

Have you no shame ? You ruined the poor guys vacation that he had scrimmped and saved for. Another time you won some unfortunate souls shoes playing golf. Oh by the way was I in ? If I wasn't , I'm glad I put you in right field.
Jack

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am happy to see you guys like a little fun

Bottoms up fellas

see my next post

"Bigger pockets, faster horses,younger women,older whisky,MORE money and the mysteries of life unfolded"

In the meanwhile read about my $695 shon for sale in the FS section,I could use the money

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jackpot ,is that you my son?

I will tell a jackpot story about how you were ashamed to take your half of a win
just becuse you didn't help me win it

coming soon

""jack potter turns down the money!

extra extra read all about it.
I will teach you to put me in right field

this will be a new thread