Hiring process for BEF?

Wags

2 pocket-one pocket table
Silver Member
I was just curious as to the hiring process used to select the Billiard Education Foundation executive director.

I know 3 people that would have loved to at least be able to have applied for the position.

I've looked all over for a notice of taking applications but couldn't find any. So I thought maybe I could contact the Executive Board, but can't find the names of the board members except for Tom Riccoben and Shari Stauch. I'm not sure if they are even current.

Anyway, if anyone can explain the process that was used, I sure would appreciate it.

That said, Congrats to Samm Diep-Vidal (SDV?) for being hired to the position of Executive Director. I'm sure she will take the BEF to even a greater presence in the industry.

Thank you Laura Smith for your leadership in taking the BEF to where it is today in what can certainly be a thankless industry.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
EIN 42-1395207 Billiard Education Foundation Lafayette CO United States... They are still a charitable organization but that's all the info I can find..... It appears that it's a closed door proceeding... Laura Smith appears to have been appointed in 2007 similarly....

I think one of Samm's first duties is to revamp their web presence so maybe there will be more transparency..... It is charitable but it is also a private organization...

I don't know what they are required to disclose but I would think that Financial Info would be in that mix accounting for cash in vs cash out with breakdown of overhead.....

Wags

2 pocket-one pocket table
Silver Member
501(c) (3) Non-profit Charitable Org.

Thanks Renfro for looking.

I just thought that a charitable organization had to be transparent in their dealings. Maybe that is only on the financial side.

I found that I could request tax forms that they have to provide according to their non-profit charitable status. I just can't seem to find anything pertaining to the publishing of their by-laws which should have info on the board of directors and how business is handled by them.

Pool seems to have too many back room deals, not saying that there was. I would just like to find the information on how the process occurred.

Thanks again Renfro

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
That is the type of info I was looking for as well.... I think the fan base in general is tired of politics and back room deals... While I have no way of knowing the specifics I think I understand how you feel.....

I love Samm to death and think her passion and connections may be what the board based their decisions on... In many charitable organizations the figure head is someone who is well know to the industry and demographic of the donors....

I will say this tho... As much as I like Samm and the stated purpose of the BEF I'd have to know A whole lot more about them before I would be willing to make any donations....

I still think everyone can recall some of the organizations that sprang up after 911 and Katrina where when the dust settled everyone found out that only pennies of every dollar donated went to where they thought it was going.....

I am in no way saying I believe this to be the case with the BEF but they need to be aware of the fact that many people who are willing to donate also WANT to know how the organization works and where their money goes......

cajunfats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BEF Question

I worked at the Billiard Congress of America back when the BEF was developed. It is an internal function of the Non Profit Trade Association. The BCA Board appoints leadership,back then I think Nancy Hart(Viking Cues) was the head of the Committee.

The moneys collected are allocated for developing Scholarships,Jr. Programs,and Public Relations for the Sport. Many BEF Recipients have gone to College with this assistance.

Because the BEF is directed by the Trade Association,the Business members of the BCA are the primary target of Scholarship Support. Individuals can,and should donate to the BEF. Scholarships are not limited to Members,however.

Since the ACS(John Lewis) was quoted on the previous post as a 501(3)c,he is quite knowledgeable on this matter. Perhaps he could help allay your fears. It is a very worthwhile charity,IMHO.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Just because an organization is a 501c3 does not mean it has to post job offers on AZBilliards (or their own for that matter).

How an organization shows profit at the end of the year (and pays taxes) has no bearing on how it seeks to fill positions. This can be done privately, through a head-hunter or publicly. As long as their board approves the nomination, it's a done deal. 501c3s generate profit just like a regular company, they just zero-out on their books (through donations, etc). Their leadership structure (boards, decision making, etc) is structured a little differently.

As long as it's not government funded (which I don't believe it is), there really aren't any hard-line laws regarding your concern in the original post.

Last edited:

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Just because an organization is a 501c3 does not mean it has to post job offers on AZBilliards (or their own for that matter).

How an organization shows profit at the end of the year (and pays taxes) has no bearing on how it seeks to fill positions. This can be done privately, through a head-hunter or publicly. As long as their board approves the nomination, it's a done deal. 501c3s generate profit just like a regular company, they just zero-out on their books (through donations, etc). Their leadership structure (boards, decision making, etc) is structured a little differently.

As long as it's not government funded (which I don't believe it is), there really aren't any hard-line laws regarding your concern in the original post.

I completely agree that they do not have to post jobs or hiring practices....

I also think Samm will be great for being the new face and voice of the organization...

I was just pointing out that many people in today's world are very cynical about charities....

I am sure the trade members of the BCA may have the information we were discussing if that is their primary target....

Last edited: