Stroke developer
Old
  (#1)
bbb
AzB Silver Member

bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Stroke developer - 10-23-2011, 04:25 PM

comments on the various devices out there to help someone develop a stroke
coke bottle
buddy halls device
laser cue
are just some ive come across
what would you professional instuctors reccommend??
thanls for your replies and help towards my development
bbb

Old
  (#2)
Ratta
Hearing the balls.....
Ratta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond reputeRatta has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2000
 Send a message via ICQ to Ratta Send a message via MSN to Ratta  
10-24-2011, 12:14 AM

Easy answer:

invest some bucks and visit a good instructor. Will pay off much more than *playing* around with those kind of tools. To start with a knowledged instructor will give you something for your whole pool-life.

lg
Ingo

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother."......Albert Einstein
________

"Advanced PBIA Instructor and proud member of the SPF Family"

Old
  (#3)
bbb
AzB Silver Member

bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

10-24-2011, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratta View Post
Easy answer:

invest some bucks and visit a good instructor. Will pay off much more than *playing* around with those kind of tools. To start with a knowledged instructor will give you something for your whole pool-life.

lg
Ingo
i have a series of lessons planned with an instructor
was wondering about "teaching aids" while i do my homework

Old
  (#4)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

10-24-2011, 06:04 AM

Digital camera. Film yourself, zoom in on your stroke. Watch it with your instructor and analyze it together. 'Together' is the key so you learn what to look for. Then when you are off on your own, periodically check yourself (by filming) to see if you are continuing on the right path.

A coke bottle was thought to be a good tool to practice your stroke back when everyone mistakenly believed that a level stroke was the right stroke. Good luck trying to stroke level with the rails in the way.

Old
  (#5)
randyg
www.randygpool.com
randyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond repute

10-24-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
coke bottle
buddy halls device
laser cue
bbb

Good question!

I think that a good instructor will give you the tools to perfect your stroke.

What Instructor are you going to work with?

If that Instructor is a member of the SPF Family, they will give you Mother Drill #1-2-3 along with your video.
randyg

Original P.B.I.A Master Instructor
Proud Member of the SPF Family
Co-author of World/BCA Rules
Co-author of Texas Express Rules
Originator of Scotch Doubles

Old
  (#6)
ronscuba
AzB Silver Member
ronscuba has a reputation beyond reputeronscuba has a reputation beyond reputeronscuba has a reputation beyond reputeronscuba has a reputation beyond reputeronscuba has a reputation beyond reputeronscuba has a reputation beyond reputeronscuba has a reputation beyond reputeronscuba has a reputation beyond reputeronscuba has a reputation beyond reputeronscuba has a reputation beyond reputeronscuba has a reputation beyond repute

10-24-2011, 01:57 PM

I'm interested to read the replies on this thread as I am learning too.

I've found the coke bottle exercise has room for error that can show itself in unintended english or misses on long shots.

I changed to using the long joint on my wood dining room table where the 2 separate pieces of wood meet. A tight string would also work. Basically anything long, straight and very thin. I stroke the cue making sure the center of tip and cue shaft stays directly over the line. The line should cut the tip directly in half equally. I also simulate what I do on a real shot which is shorter practice strokes and one longer stroke. Going back and forth and grooving continuous long strokes is not what you do on a real shot, so I don't practice that way.

Curious to see if the pro instructors think what I am doing is a good idea.

Last edited by ronscuba; 10-24-2011 at 02:18 PM.

A simple stroke exercise
Old
  (#7)
Donny Lutz
Ferrule Cat
Donny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Lutz has a reputation beyond repute

Smile A simple stroke exercise - 10-25-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
coke bottle
buddy halls device
laser cue
bbb
The first step in developing a straight stroke is to place a cue ball and object ball in line so that when struck the OB strikes a rail at 90 degrees. Begin with a shot that is a foot or so off the rail and a foot or so from the CB. If you strike the CB dead center, the OB will rebound back to the cue ball. Increase your distance with this shot as your stroke improves. This works very well for center ball, roll, draw or force follow. The next step is to shoot the shot with side english. In this case the ball will NOT rebound to strike the CB. To insure a straight stroke on this shot (whether using parallel english, backhand or whatever), place three stacked pieces of chalk on each side of the cue about half way between your bridge and the CB. Begin with a space between the stacks of an inch or more and reduce it as your stroke improves. Imagine a cylinder the diameter of the CB going from the CB to the target on the OB. With a few exceptions (jump shots, masses, etc.) your cue tip should never leave this imaginary cylinder, from the pull-back to the end of your follow-through. Increase the length of the shot and the force applied as you develop your pure stroke. Pay special attention to where your cue tip comes to rest after each shot. It may end up just outside the cylinder when applying backhand sidespin, but should still be below the outer edges of the cylinder.
Donny L
BCA/ACS Instructor
Gainesville, Fl

Old
  (#8)
randyg
www.randygpool.com
randyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond reputerandyg has a reputation beyond repute

10-25-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronscuba View Post
I'm interested to read the replies on this thread as I am learning too.

I've found the coke bottle exercise has room for error that can show itself in unintended english or misses on long shots.

I changed to using the long joint on my wood dining room table where the 2 separate pieces of wood meet. A tight string would also work. Basically anything long, straight and very thin. I stroke the cue making sure the center of tip and cue shaft stays directly over the line. The line should cut the tip directly in half equally. I also simulate what I do on a real shot which is shorter practice strokes and one longer stroke. Going back and forth and grooving continuous long strokes is not what you do on a real shot, so I don't practice that way.

Curious to see if the pro instructors think what I am doing is a good idea.

Great idea. I hope that you are doing that drill with your eyes "closed"!
randyg

Original P.B.I.A Master Instructor
Proud Member of the SPF Family
Co-author of World/BCA Rules
Co-author of Texas Express Rules
Originator of Scotch Doubles

Old
  (#9)
DrCue'sProtege
AzB Silver Member
DrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond reputeDrCue'sProtege has a reputation beyond repute

09-23-2019, 04:50 PM

Any new info for this thread? Any new devices?

What are instructors recommending nowadays as far as training aids go?

r/DCP

Playing Cue: Chad Carter Custom
Break Cue: Schon butt/Chad Carter shaft
Table: Gold Crown IV
Cloth: Simonis 860 English Green

Old
  (#10)
bbb
AzB Silver Member

09-24-2019, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCue'sProtege View Post
Any new info for this thread? Any new devices?

What are instructors recommending nowadays as far as training aids go?

r/DCP
nic barrow is a snooker coach
check this out
although not available now i beleive they are producing a new batch
check out the videos
instructors.....your thoughts?
https://www.thesnookergym.com/cue-action-trainer

Last edited by bbb; 09-24-2019 at 02:54 AM.

Old
  (#11)
slach
AzB Silver Member
slach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond repute

09-25-2019, 10:53 PM

To help you develop a straight, accurate stroke check out the QMD3 digital stroke trainer/analyzer (www.cue-md.com).

The QMD3 Tutorial/User Guide (direct link - http://www.cue-md.com/files/user_guide_qmd3.pdf) has complete instructions for using the QMD3 and describes all the features.

Old
  (#12)
Call_me_Tom
AzB Silver Member
Call_me_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeCall_me_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeCall_me_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeCall_me_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeCall_me_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeCall_me_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeCall_me_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeCall_me_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeCall_me_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeCall_me_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeCall_me_Tom has a reputation beyond repute

10-14-2019, 08:41 PM

I haven’t used it myself but what about a DIGICUE

Cues: Katana KAT09 • McDermott GS02C2 & Custom Clover • 1811
Shafts: Katana KATXS1 • McDermott Traditional & G-Core • OB Plus Pro • Jacoby Black • Pechauer Black Ice
Cases: Katana 1/1 • McDermott 1/1 • JB Cases 4/8

Old
  (#13)
BC21
Poolology

BC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond repute

10-14-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call_me_Tom View Post
I haven’t used it myself but what about a DIGICUE
The Digicue Blue is excellent for analyzing the stroke. Also do as Fran and others suggest and video yourself shooting. The Digi will notify you of stroke errors, and watching yourself on video can help you associate any given error with a noticeable action or flaw in your stroke.

If you are fortunate enough to live in an area where you can get lessons from a pool instructor, they can video you and analyze your stroke. If you don't have access to an instructor then the Digicue Blue is a great substitute that can pinpoint the tiniest stroke flaws.

POOLOLOGY
YouTube
Brian Crist

Old
  (#14)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

10-15-2019, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronscuba View Post
I changed to using the long joint on my wood dining room table where the 2 separate pieces of wood meet. A tight string would also work. Basically anything long, straight and very thin. I stroke the cue making sure the center of tip and cue shaft stays directly over the line.
Be sure to look down at the shaft behind your bridge too - small offline movement will be more visible there (even when the tip movement doesn’t show it clearly).

pj
chgo

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: