Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > 14.1 Pool
Reload this Page strange circumstance foul or not?

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
strange circumstance foul or not?
Old
  (#1)
djoverboard
AzB Bronze Member
djoverboard is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

strange circumstance foul or not? - 11-04-2019, 11:08 AM

i am playing in a weekly straight pool league and a strange thing happened during my match last week. My opponent at the table used the mechanical bridge to pocket a ball. after pocketing the ball while raiding the bridge off the playing surface the bridge head fell off the cue disturbing the balls in the remaining rack. what ids the proper ruling on this? it was the equipment provided by the room not his own bridge head attached to a cue
Foul ?
Not a foul?

Old
  (#2)
Mick
AzB Silver Member
Mick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond reputeMick has a reputation beyond repute

11-04-2019, 07:11 PM

Depends. Are you playing all-ball fouls, or cueball fouls only? We play all-ball fouls, and here it would be a foul. The equipment the player chooses to use is his responsibility, whether it's his own, or house provided.

Old
  (#3)
djoverboard
AzB Bronze Member
djoverboard is on a distinguished road

11-04-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Depends. Are you playing all-ball fouls, or cueball fouls only? We play all-ball fouls, and here it would be a foul. The equipment the player chooses to use is his responsibility, whether it's his own, or house provided.
Yes all balls foul and this was the ruling that was decided. The player has the responsibility to be sure the equipment is functional/ functioning properly.

Old
  (#4)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-04-2019, 09:58 PM

At snooker I think the player is not penalized for malfunctions of the provided equipment such as the head falling off the rest. At pool there is no exception -- if the player is using it he is responsible for it.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#5)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

11-05-2019, 01:11 PM

Didn't want to start a new thread but regarding the mechanical bridge I did notice in the recent American 14.1 championships a well known player who practices a lot of 14.1 missed a shot while stretched out over the table instead of using the mechanical bridge.

I've seen this happen before. Bustamante lost a championship because of the same thing. My theory is when these guys are practicing they don't want to take the time to reach down and get the bridge and that bad habit carries over to matches.

Old
  (#6)
DynoDan
AzB Silver Member
DynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond reputeDynoDan has a reputation beyond repute

11-05-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstl View Post
I've seen this happen before. Bustamante lost a championship because of the same thing. My theory is when these guys are practicing they don't want to take the time to reach down and get the bridge and that bad habit carries over to matches.
Much like chalking before every shot. Likely those practicing alone donít always bother (?).

Old
  (#7)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

11-07-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynoDan View Post
Much like chalking before every shot. Likely those practicing alone donít always bother (?).
Not as necessary in 14..1 as in 9 ball or 10 ball.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: