carbon fiber shafts

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone making inserts for these blank carbon fiber shafts out there, both ends?

Any one with a lathe can do that, any thing particular you want in terms of materials and specs?

Last edited:

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone making inserts for these blank carbon fiber shafts out there, both ends?
Being curious how it will perform I've finished one. My experience tells that to finish both ends of the shaft at the tip (vault plate, pad, the tip) and at the joint (insert and depending on what thread so on) ....well here is the work you're familiar working with your wooden shafts. I've had much more questions and thoughts on what is the best way (material so on) to fill the blank. For me that is much more interesting procedure to finish the shaft which may influence the weight, energy transfer, feel and feedback and so on.

Master of None

Paul Allers Cues
I've changed the joint insert on a Cynergy using black linen phenolic. touchy part is getting the old insert out without damaging the cf. But it works and has lasted 3 months. 3/8-14 to radial.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Ahhhh......but what density?

How do you turn the foam on the lathe so you can insert it into the CF tube?

Last edited:

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ahhhh......but what density?

How do you turn the foam on the lathe so you can insert it into the CF tube?

It is likely injected into the cf tube.

Mase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not sure if you are joking or not. The foam is injected into the tube in liquid form and expands and hardens in the tube.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am not sure if you are joking or not. The foam is injected into the tube in liquid form and expands and hardens in the tube.

This...../\. :cool:

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess something like this should work ok https://compositeenvisions.com/two-part-liquid-urethane-expanding-foam-3lb-density-1004.html
I would use a higher density for the bottom half of the tube and less density (lighter) for the top. There are other similar foams to choose from..
So as the main part for building a good shaft with better energy transfer is a c.f. tube blank...well the main question is :
how good are those c.f. blanks available at the moment and are they close enough when it comes to the quality (the way they are made) to those used by big production companies?

Terry Aeschliman

Terry Aeschliman
Gold Member
Silver Member
inserts

The inserts almost have to be made for each tube. The specifications for O.D. and wall thickness will usually be plus or minus .003. That leaves varience from one tube to another.
If you were buying in large quanities you may be able to hold the tolerances down.
I have built several and no two are "exactly" the same.
Concerning the filler, foam seems to be the most popular but not necessarily the best. I sell the blank tubes but usually only do finish work from start to finish. Any cuemaker or repairman should be able to make the inserts.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Carbon fiber shafts

There is lots of different foams available and the added weight can vary. For the most part the inserts have to be custom made to fit.

Mario

Attachments

• IMG_1383.JPG
    IMG_1383.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 402

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Concerning the filler, foam seems to be the most popular but not necessarily the best.

There is lots of different foams available and the added weight can vary

1.) what in your opinion would be better?
2.) what is the downside to not using anything?

AFAIC see, adding foam adds weight and probably damping effect. Is this good?
Or are the walls too thin to resist buckling without it?

I drill my maple shafts, so obviously don't find a problem with "hollow" per se.

PS - not intending to be contentious, just curious.

smt

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Carbon fiber shafts

1.) what in your opinion would be better?
2.) what is the downside to not using anything?

AFAIC see, adding foam adds weight and probably damping effect. Is this good?
Or are the walls too thin to resist buckling without it?

I drill my maple shafts, so obviously don't find a problem with "hollow" per se.

PS - not intending to be contentious, just curious.

smt

If the tubes are left empty the hit has a hollow sound some find disturbing. Carbon fiber is a very strong material there's no need for reinforcement.

Mario