Bobby Williams

bchilton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone remember a pro player from Florida back in the early 80s by the name of Bobby Williams? Does anyone know what ever happened to him?

satman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No

bchilton said:
Does anyone remember a pro player from Florida back in the early 80s by the name of Bobby Williams? Does anyone know what ever happened to him?

I have no idea what happened to him. But I did see him play several times. He was a good player.I don't know what tourney it was, but I do remember him winning at least 1 pro stop.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
satman said:
I have no idea what happened to him. But I did see him play several times. He was a good player.I don't know what tourney it was, but I do remember him winning at least 1 pro stop.

Bobby Williams won a pro tournament in 1988 or 1989 - he was an awesome player - I haven't heard his name mentioned in years.

bchilton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played with Bobby in Houma, Louisiana, New Orleans and Charlotte North Carolina back in the 80s. I remember that he drove race cars on some circuit in Florida and played on the pro tour.
I haven't heard anything about him in at least 20 years.

Darth

Cyber Fox 4/8/96-7/1/09
Silver Member
The last time I talked to Bobby William's sister about 6 yrs. ago, he was living in Charlotte,NC and racing stock cars. Bobby was one of the best players in the 80's. His main problem was his temper. He never lost it with another player but was self destructive in the sense that whenever he missed a shot, he would rake the balls no matter how difficult the layout for the incoming player. That's what led to his eventual change of career paths. It's a shame because Bobby had a tremendous amount of talent and away from the pool table he was always the gentleman. I was fortunate enough to play in the same room as Bobby in the late 70's and early 80's. (The Cue Room) in Lake Worth, Florida.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
Bobby Williams won a pro tournament in 1988 or 1989 - he was an awesome player - I haven't heard his name mentioned in years.

IIRC the tourney he won was in CHARLOTTE, NC.

Beat a field loaded with rattlesnakes.:yeah:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think Bobby won the Rak'm Up Classic. A pro event with all the top players. He was one of the best lefties at the time.

I saw Bobby a few years ago at DCC. He may have been with Tony Stewart, the race car driver. Bobby has been working on Nascar pit crews for many years now. That's where you'll find him. Heaven forbid anyone comes around the Nascar scene bragging about playing pool. They'll go get Bobby and clean his clock. He was a very good gambler.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
I think Bobby won the Rak'm Up Classic. A pro event with all the top players. He was one of the best lefties at the time.

I saw Bobby a few years ago at DCC. He may have been with Tony Stewart, the race car driver. Bobby has been working on Nascar pit crews for many years now. That's where you'll find him. Heaven forbid anyone comes around the Nascar scene bragging about playing pool. They'll go get Bobby and clean his clock. He was a very good gambler.

I am pretty sure that Bobby defeated Earl in the finals... or was it Grady? I need to get with Terry Ardeno to make sure - it's been driving me nuts since yesterday, and they don't have the 80's results on the main site anymore (at least I can't find them anymore).

trainer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
I am pretty sure that Bobby defeated Earl in the finals... or was it Grady? I need to get with Terry Ardeno to make sure - it's been driving me nuts since yesterday, and they don't have the 80's results on the main site anymore (at least I can't find them anymore).
grady. he hauls off and shits the case game in..i think we should get grady's comment!

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
trainer said:
grady. he hauls off and shits the case game in..i think we should get grady's comment!

I thought it was Grady!

Wasn't it an errant jump shot that opened the door for Bobby to win that one? It's all coming back to me now...

Here is a photo of Bobby (1986) from Bill Porter's Smugmug site...

BobbyWilliams.jpg

Last edited:

chris_williams

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Darth said:
The last time I talked to Bobby William's sister about 6 yrs. ago, he was living in Charlotte,NC and racing stock cars. Bobby was one of the best players in the 80's. His main problem was his temper. He never lost it with another player but was self destructive in the sense that whenever he missed a shot, he would rake the balls no matter how difficult the layout for the incoming player. That's what led to his eventual change of career paths. It's a shame because Bobby had a tremendous amount of talent and away from the pool table he was always the gentleman. I was fortunate enough to play in the same room as Bobby in the late 70's and early 80's. (The Cue Room) in Lake Worth, Florida.
It must have been around 86 or 87 he came to Columbus and played a local named Kenny MCcoy at Top Cue billiards. Each time Kenny made a ball on the beak or if Bobby missed he would rake in the balls. I was just a kid but remember thinking "what the hell is this guy doing"

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
Blackjack said:

David,
I was outside cutting the grass that I wanted to get done yesterday, came in for an ice cold diet coke and checked pooldom.

Bobby Williams never won the Rakm Up Classic. He did, however, beat Grady 11-7 in the finals of the 1989 Carolina's Cup.

I have something more to add a little later, after I confirm the particulars, but I got to get back outside for a few more hours.

Quickly, here's the winnners of the Rakm Up Classic by years....
1987 Mike Sigel
1988 Mike Sigel
1989 Nick Varner
1990 Steve Mizerak
1991 N ick Varner
1992 Buddy Hall
1993 Jim Rempe

Last edited:

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Terry Ardeno said:
David,
I was outside cutting the grass that I wanted to get done yesterday, came in for an ice cold diet coke and checked pooldom.

Bobby Williams never won the Rakm Up Classic. He did, however, beat Grady 11-7 in the finals of the 1989 Carolina's Cup.

I have something more to add a little later, after I confirm the particulars, but I got to get back outside for a few more hours.

Quickly, here's the winnners of the Rakm Up Classic by years....
1987 Mike Sigel
1988 Mike Sigel
1989 Nick Varner
1990 Steve Mizerak
1991 N ick Varner
1992 Buddy Hall
1993 Jim Rempe

Thanks Terry. I wasn't sure what tournament it was, I vaguely remember that Grady was at the table, got caught in a bad spot behind a ball - and that basically tells the story about how it went. It was a very frustrating match for Grady. It's doubtful that he remembers much about it, The great champions just usually put that stuff behind them.

bchilton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rob's Roost

I played some with him at Rob's Roost in Charlotte around 1985 or 86. He remembered me from Houma Louisiana back around 81 or 82.
Bobby went on to finish 3rd, I think at the Rob's Roost tournament that year behind Efren who just destroyed everyone.

I watched Earl beat Kim Davenport in that same tournament 11-0 in 2 innings. He ran 8, played a safety and then ran the last 3. Kim threw his towell on the table with 3 or 4 balls left in the last game.

bchilton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone told me that Bobby had died a few years back. That was the reason for the original post.
I hope that informatioin wasn't true.

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
bchilton said:
Someone told me that Bobby had died a few years back. That was the reason for the original post.
I hope that informatioin wasn't true.

bchilton,

That's what I remember also, I just didn't want to say that until I could cite the exact date. He was killed in a car crash, if I remember correctly.

This is too serious a matter to start rumors. Remember how many times Rafael Martiniez was supposedly killed....All unfounded. But I remember reading in one of the pool mags that he had died in a car crash. I'm 99% certain it was after Tony Ellin's fatal accident.

I usually keep accurate stats on all the players. For some reason, I didn't mark the date down in my notes. I know he was born on Dec 12, 1951.

When I locate the exact date, I'll cite my source here.

I sincerely hope I was wrong, but I'm almost certain I'm not.

Voodoo Daddy

One Pocket 101
When Bobby won that tournament the Billiard Digest cover had him on it with the word "SHOCKER" under his name.

Bobby story...he was playing Willie "the Beadman" Munson in the US Open '89 or '90 at the Lake Wright Quality Inn. Bobby had a big lead and Willie started to make a huge comeback. Bobby, as only he can do started his schtick...a PBT rep came over <I think it was Joe Kerr> and told him he was in violation of several by-laws resulting in a fine. Bobby basically told him to go screw and get away from him while he was playing. Willie beat Bobby 11-9, minutes prior the score was 9-3.

Here is the funny part;

Bobby was rooming with a friend and real solid player CM Lee...Bobby lost and stormed outta the ballroom, I was coming outta the bathroom and asked him what happened. He went nutz, jibberin and jammerin and said "dont matter to me, Rusty is racing Sunday and I'm going to the race." Rusty Wallace was a old friend of his, he even played with a McDermott with Rusty's car on it. He packed, checked out and left...MEANWHILE CM is playing his match and had no idea Bobby had cleared out of the room.

He went to the door after his match, tried the key and it didt work. Went to the front desk and said he key didnt work. they said the room had been closed out and his bags were behind the counter!!! He had no room and almost had to crash on my floor but the manager found him a room and CM had a bed instead of carpet and a pillow!!!

Bobby was/is a great player and a character that modern day pool desperately needs!!

mark8950

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bchilton said:
i knew a black guy from detroit that played real good in the 70's named bobby williams? i watched him play 900 agame against matlock in okc in 1971. he played very good but they played on a barbox and matlock finally beat him out of 18k after 8 or 9 hrs! sparky

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Terry Ardeno said:
bchilton,

That's what I remember also, I just didn't want to say that until I could cite the exact date. He was killed in a car crash, if I remember correctly.

This is too serious a matter to start rumors. Remember how many times Rafael Martiniez was supposedly killed....All unfounded. But I remember reading in one of the pool mags that he had died in a car crash. I'm 99% certain it was after Tony Ellin's fatal accident.

I usually keep accurate stats on all the players. For some reason, I didn't mark the date down in my notes. I know he was born on Dec 12, 1951.

When I locate the exact date, I'll cite my source here.

I sincerely hope I was wrong, but I'm almost certain I'm not.

I heard that same rumor too, but I'm about 95% sure he is still working the NASCAR races.

poolcuemaster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bobby has played at the Smokin Cue in Charlotte NC and won a tournament a couple of years ago and at the time he was working for Rusty Wallace Racing.--Leonard