Straight stroke
Old
  (#106)
John oleson
AzB Silver Member

John oleson has a reputation beyond reputeJohn oleson has a reputation beyond reputeJohn oleson has a reputation beyond reputeJohn oleson has a reputation beyond reputeJohn oleson has a reputation beyond reputeJohn oleson has a reputation beyond reputeJohn oleson has a reputation beyond reputeJohn oleson has a reputation beyond reputeJohn oleson has a reputation beyond reputeJohn oleson has a reputation beyond reputeJohn oleson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Straight stroke - 08-28-2019, 07:59 AM

Look at YouTube and watch Kristina Tkach .. very interesting.

Old
  (#107)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-28-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0nt0n3r View Post
today's finding should also explain why i was playing better when i was twisting the hips/shoulders to my right,it wasn't so much because it was aligning my elbow closer to the cue,it was because this type of alignment was bringing my left eye closer to the picture..
Can't tell for sure without seeing your stance, but either adjustment, or a combination of them, might accomplish the same thing.

Glad it's improving!

pj
chgo

Old
  (#108)
stockbob55
AzB Bronze Member
stockbob55 has a reputation beyond reputestockbob55 has a reputation beyond reputestockbob55 has a reputation beyond reputestockbob55 has a reputation beyond reputestockbob55 has a reputation beyond reputestockbob55 has a reputation beyond reputestockbob55 has a reputation beyond reputestockbob55 has a reputation beyond reputestockbob55 has a reputation beyond reputestockbob55 has a reputation beyond reputestockbob55 has a reputation beyond repute

09-15-2019, 07:50 PM

If a player starts off with a good alignment during his address and practice strokes
but as he pulls the cue back on the final back swing the cue move off line about a
quarter tip to the left.
This causes the player to miss some shots.
Bearing in mind the player has done this for years and his stroke is consistent
would you as coaches advise:
a) working on straightening out his back swing
or
b) adjusting his alignment a 1/4 tip to the right?

Old
  (#109)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-15-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockbob55 View Post
If a player starts off with a good alignment during his address and practice strokes
but as he pulls the cue back on the final back swing the cue move off line about a
quarter tip to the left.
or
I solved the same problem for myself by adjusting my elbow position (distance from body) until that hinge joint was aligned best for a natural straight stroke. I also had to adjust the angle of my shoulders and head a little to keep the stick centered in my line of sight.

Easy peasy - shouldn’t take more than a few years.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#110)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute

09-16-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockbob55 View Post
quarter tip to the left.
or
You have to first figure out what is causing the problem before you can decide how to fix it. Is he doing something with his grip hand in his back swing, or is he moving his arm off line on the way back? What's causing the cue to move off line?

Once you find the cause, then you have to decide how difficult it will be for the player to fix the problem. If the player has been doing it for years, then it will be difficult to fix the problem. Is the player capable of making such a change in their game that will take them out of their comfort zone for a period of time?

If it was a client of mine, I would first diagnose the cause of the problem, determine the fix and then talk to the player and explain what would be involved. Then I would let the player make the decision as to whether or not they want to proceed to try to fix it. They may say it's not worth the pain and suffering to them to attempt it.

Old
  (#111)
stockbob55
AzB Bronze Member
stockbob55 has a reputation beyond reputestockbob55 has a reputation beyond reputestockbob55 has a reputation beyond reputestockbob55 has a reputation beyond reputestockbob55 has a reputation beyond reputestockbob55 has a reputation beyond reputestockbob55 has a reputation beyond reputestockbob55 has a reputation beyond reputestockbob55 has a reputation beyond reputestockbob55 has a reputation beyond reputestockbob55 has a reputation beyond repute

09-16-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
I solved the same problem for myself by adjusting my elbow position (distance from body) until that hinge joint was aligned best for a natural straight stroke. I also had to adjust the angle of my shoulders and head a little to keep the stick centered in my line of sight.

Easy peasy - shouldn’t take more than a few years.

pj
chgo
Thanks for the reply PJ
That was a lot of things to change all at the same time.
Were you pleased with the results?

re stroke
Old
  (#112)
stockbob55
AzB Bronze Member

re stroke - 09-16-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCrimi View Post
You have to first figure out what is causing the problem before you can decide how to fix it. Is he doing something with his grip hand in his back swing, or is he moving his arm off line on the way back? What's causing the cue to move off line?

Once you find the cause, then you have to decide how difficult it will be for the player to fix the problem. If the player has been doing it for years, then it will be difficult to fix the problem. Is the player capable of making such a change in their game that will take them out of their comfort zone for a period of time?

If it was a client of mine, I would first diagnose the cause of the problem, determine the fix and then talk to the player and explain what would be involved. Then I would let the player make the decision as to whether or not they want to proceed to try to fix it. They may say it's not worth the pain and suffering to them to attempt it.
Thanks for the input Fran.
So Isolate the cause of the problem 1st.
He seems to change something in his grip on the final back swing,
but its not obvious, maybe tightening up or twisting in anticipation of the shot.
I will look a some video

Page 8 of 8 « First 678

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: