Timing - What is it.
Old
  (#1)
One Pocket John
AzB Silver Member
One Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Timing - What is it. - 11-10-2019, 04:39 AM

Interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH2P...QdyQxmTTipXWgS

Since I use a butt extension on my cue my timing is getting better. There are times when I feel in my grip hand that the cue ball is stuck to the tip of my cue. Or feel that the tip of my cue has penetrated the cue ball. Good feeling.

Happy Veterans Day to all.

John

One Pocket John
St. Louis, MO.

I don't play One Pocket as much as I use to, but when I do, I play at Cue & Cushion - Overland, MO.

In Memory of Dean Higgs and Harry Sims - gone but not forgotten and thank you.

Last edited by One Pocket John; 11-10-2019 at 04:59 AM.

A request from "Low IQ"...........
Old
  (#2)
Low500
Banned
Low500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond repute

Smile A request from "Low IQ"........... - 11-10-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Pocket John View Post
Interesting.
Since I use a butt extension on my cue my timing is getting better. There are times when I feel in my grip hand that the cue ball is stuck to the tip of my cue. Or feel that the tip of my cue has penetrated the cue ball. Good feeling.
John
Once, long ago, you made a very detailed posting of exactly how to build one of these things using stuff you got at Home Depot or Lowe's.
I didn't take advantage, at the time, of that knowledge you shared and would sure like to see you post that again.
I have one of the first Predator 314's, around 1996 version, and I'd like to make one for it. Most of the money tournaments I play in are on those 3 1/2 x 7 tables or the 48" x 96" tables and this extension will keep me from having to use the mechanical bridge occasionally.
Thank you very much for considering doing this again.
Regards,
Pete Lowenstein
a.k.a. "Low IQ".....

Old
  (#3)
One Pocket John
AzB Silver Member
One Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond repute

11-10-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low500 View Post
Once, long ago, you made a very detailed posting of exactly how to build one of these things using stuff you got at Home Depot or Lowe's.
I didn't take advantage, at the time, of that knowledge you shared and would sure like to see you post that again.
I have one of the first Predator 314's, around 1996 version, and I'd like to make one for it. Most of the money tournaments I play in are on those 3 1/2 x 7 tables or the 48" x 96" tables and this extension will keep me from having to use the mechanical bridge occasionally.
Thank you very much for considering doing this again.
Regards,
Pete Lowenstein
a.k.a. "Low IQ".....
No problem Pete. Let me snap a few pictures and I will post them along with a full description of materials used.

John

One Pocket John
St. Louis, MO.

I don't play One Pocket as much as I use to, but when I do, I play at Cue & Cushion - Overland, MO.

Old
  (#4)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-10-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
The idea that contact time can be meaningfully controlled with your stroke (or that it would make any meaningful difference if you could) has been repeatedly debunked.

I think "good timing" means hitting the CB with exactly the right cue/stroke speed for the intended shot - timing the acceleration of your stroke to "peak" at just the right time.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#5)
One Pocket John
AzB Silver Member

11-10-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
The idea that contact time can be meaningfully controlled with your stroke (or that it would make any meaningful difference if you could) has been repeatedly debunked.

I think "good timing" means hitting the CB with exactly the right cue/stroke speed for the intended shot - timing the acceleration of your stroke to "peak" at just the right time.

pj
chgo
I agree with you. I guess snooker coaches look at timing differently than we do.

Quote:

Timing is all about the cue delivery, which begins with the backswing. Your cue and cue arm have a natural cadence in just the same way as a pendulum in a grandfathers clock or a garden swing.

End quote. (Author unknown)

This is why I designed the cue extension the way I did. I'm 6'2" tall and have a wing span of 6'2". The mid cue extension and butt extension allow for me to have a pendulum to swing the cue forward. The cue is 70" long, for my wing span this is just the right length.

John

One Pocket John
St. Louis, MO.

Old
  (#6)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

11-10-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Interesting.

John
I think what you are feeling is you are feeling the hit right when you instinctively tighten the grip.
If you tighten the grip right before the tip makes contact with the ball ( b/c the cue is too short for you ) and your grip hand is already past perpendicular to the floor, the feel would be a lot different as compared to tightening the grip at the right time.
Video yourself from the side to see if you catch it.

Old
  (#7)
One Pocket John
AzB Silver Member

11-10-2019, 11:20 AM

Here ya go Pete.
1. Finished extension
2. 3" copper pipe filled with 457 cal lead balls. Weighs 3 oz. I experimented with the weight and found 3 oz. right for me.
3. Weight inserted into rubber cap
4. End cap screwed on for finish
5. Slip on extension installed. For jacked up shots the extension is slipped off and stuck in my pocket.

Keep in mind that the factory weight in my cue was removed. I didn't want to feel any weight in my grip hand only the weight behind my grip hand.

The materials are as follows: the front fitting of the extension is from Lowes. It's shaped like this ]----. 1-1/8" slip-on to 7/8" barb.
Lowes didnt have any schedule 20PVC so since I have a bunch of croppy fishing poles I cut off an 8" end piece. I like this because if you want to change the weight just unscrew the cap and install what ever weight feels good to you.

Smaller folks that grip their cue in the middle of the wrap already have a built-in pendulum. Lucky them. If they want more or less weight all they have to do is change the factory weight.

Hope all of this helps. If not I will post pictures of my earlier extensions where all of the building materials came from Lowes.

John
Attached Images

One Pocket John
St. Louis, MO.

Last edited by One Pocket John; 11-10-2019 at 12:04 PM.

Old
  (#8)
One Pocket John
AzB Silver Member

11-10-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyInCali View Post
I think what you are feeling is you are feeling the hit right when you instinctively tighten the grip.
If you tighten the grip right before the tip makes contact with the ball ( b/c the cue is too short for you ) and your grip hand is already past perpendicular to the floor, the feel would be a lot different as compared to tightening the grip at the right time.
Video yourself from the side to see if you catch it.
Joey.
I play with a 70" cue. My arm is slightly forward of perpendicular. I hold the cue with my thumb and index finger. My other 3 fingers never leave the cue they are gently resting on the cue to keep the cue from moving side ways.

I have video'd myself from 3 positions, front, back and side.

John

One Pocket John
St. Louis, MO.

Old
  (#9)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

11-10-2019, 12:18 PM

...duplicate post...

Last edited by Patrick Johnson; 11-10-2019 at 12:21 PM.

Old
  (#10)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day

11-10-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:
I agree with you. I guess snooker coaches look at timing differently than we do.
They're not alone in that - lots of pool players have also said they think "timing" and "stroke quality" are about extending tip/ball contact time.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#11)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

11-10-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
They're not alone - lots of pool players also think stroke and timing are about increasing tip/ball contact time.

pj
chgo
Which is fine because it makes you think you should have a smooth follow through.
With a slight elbow drop even.

Old
  (#12)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1470

11-10-2019, 12:31 PM

Are you John O from Drexeline?

Old
  (#13)
One Pocket John
AzB Silver Member

11-10-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iusedtoberich View Post
Are you John O from Drexeline?
No. I'm John C from St. Louis, MO.

One Pocket John
St. Louis, MO.

Old
  (#14)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1470

11-10-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
No. I'm John C from St. Louis, MO.
Ah, ok. Wrong John

Old
  (#15)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day

11-10-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
...lots of pool players have also said they think "timing" and "stroke quality" are about extending tip/ball contact time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyInCali View Post
Which is fine because it makes you think you should have a smooth follow through.
Yep - whatever visualization helps you do the right things is the right visualization, whether or not it's technically accurate. The ones I like best do both.

pj
chgo

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: