Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Bank pool... Systems or Rote?
Page 1 of 5 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Bank pool... Systems or Rote?
Old
  (#1)
mjdoutdoors
AzB Silver Member
mjdoutdoors has a reputation beyond reputemjdoutdoors has a reputation beyond reputemjdoutdoors has a reputation beyond reputemjdoutdoors has a reputation beyond reputemjdoutdoors has a reputation beyond reputemjdoutdoors has a reputation beyond reputemjdoutdoors has a reputation beyond reputemjdoutdoors has a reputation beyond reputemjdoutdoors has a reputation beyond reputemjdoutdoors has a reputation beyond reputemjdoutdoors has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Bank pool... Systems or Rote? - 11-17-2019, 06:55 AM

I was just enjoying watching SVB and Thorpe in the 2019 US Open Bank Pool Championships and was wondering, are most pros using a system when banking or just rote experience when playing banks. They just seem to get up an fire them in with out much thought. I know several systems like using the diamonds, CJ's TIP"s, and the mirror system but it does not seem they are using much to line up. I rarely I see them line up a diamond with their stick, it seems mostly feel for them. I have been practicing banks a lot more lately and I am trying to learn more about how to execute banks. I understand when to add a touch of outside for countering throw and why most banks are hit with speed, but I don't understand why and when to shoot them with pocket speed unless for defensive proposes. I would love some input and fine tuning tips from good bank pool players here on AZ in an effort to improve my banks. Thanks

Old
  (#2)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
11-17-2019, 06:59 AM

Rote...

Systems are a good reference tool/ ingredient, but given all the variables, can't do the job alone.

Old
  (#3)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

11-17-2019, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdoutdoors View Post
I was just enjoying watching SVB and Thorpe in the 2019 US Open Bank Pool Championships and was wondering, are most pros using a system when banking or just rote experience when playing banks. They just seem to get up an fire them in with out much thought. I know several systems like using the diamonds, CJ's TIP"s, and the mirror system but it does not seem they are using much to line up. I rarely I see them line up a diamond with their stick, it seems mostly feel for them. I have been practicing banks a lot more lately and I am trying to learn more about how to execute banks. I understand when to add a touch of outside for countering throw and why most banks are hit with speed, but I don't understand why and when to shoot them with pocket speed unless for defensive proposes. I would love some input and fine tuning tips from good bank pool players here on AZ in an effort to improve my banks. Thanks
I've watched BT since he was a young kid. He learned systems i'm sure but he then played a LOT and they just became automatic. They've seen all these shots a gillion times and its just auto-pilot now. They do make it look easy.

Old
  (#4)
marinemike0931
AzB Bronze Member
marinemike0931 has a reputation beyond reputemarinemike0931 has a reputation beyond reputemarinemike0931 has a reputation beyond reputemarinemike0931 has a reputation beyond reputemarinemike0931 has a reputation beyond reputemarinemike0931 has a reputation beyond reputemarinemike0931 has a reputation beyond reputemarinemike0931 has a reputation beyond reputemarinemike0931 has a reputation beyond reputemarinemike0931 has a reputation beyond reputemarinemike0931 has a reputation beyond repute

11-17-2019, 07:10 AM

I don't really believe in any system for banking personally (especially on diamond tables). Too many variations in bank exit angle depending of speed and spin to use a mirror system or diamond system reliably. They might get you in the ballpark, but for me, it's more about feel and visualization from executing (or attempting) thousands of bank shots in the past. I find I miss a lot more banks if I try to use the mirror method or diamond system. I do use the mirror system for kicks, but that's less reliable on diamond tables as well. Speed has more affect on kicks on diamond tables as well, and you have to use a hair more running English. You almost have to memorize how a ball will rebound off a rail at a given speed and English. Those guys have done that. They use different speeds and spin to avoid double kisses and alter shot angles for position on the next shot.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Old
  (#5)
Maniac
2manyQ's
Maniac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-17-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled View Post
Rote...

Systems are a good reference tool/ ingredient, but given all the variables, can't do the job alone.
Systems don't identify dead rails, that's for sure. Only hitting balls and a good memory will help there.

Maniac

Playing cues: 2 Larry Vigus 60" customs, Jacoby D11 w/314-2
Break/jump cues: Larry Vigus 60"dedicated break, Jerico Stinger, Jacoby jump cue
Cases: JB Ultimate Rugged 3x6, 2 Sterling Wave 4x8's, Sterling butterfly

"I try to think, but nothing happens!" Curly Howard

Old
  (#6)
Banger
AzB Silver Member
Banger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond repute

11-17-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled View Post
Rote...

Yeah, this. For the past few years, about 95% of my pool playing (practice, really) has been bank shots. A system can give you a good starting or reference point, but then you have to "correct" for any given situation. And for me, that just comes with experience. After a while, you just start to "see" what needs to be done, to make the shot.

"It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?" -- Ronald Reagan

Old
  (#7)
u12armresl
One Pocket back cutter
u12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond repute

11-17-2019, 11:35 AM

Started out with a system, grew to hitting 10's of thousands of banks and it became feel, is what a lot of bankers will tell you.

Quote:

Old
  (#8)
grindz
AzB Silver Member
grindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond reputegrindz has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

11-17-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Ö. I understand when to add a touch of outside for countering throw and why most banks are hit with speed, but I don't understand why and when to shoot them with pocket speed unless for defensive proposes. I would love some input and fine tuning tips from good bank pool players here on AZ in an effort to improve my banks. Thanks
A LOT of knowledge in 'the Beard"s book. Great for learning and practice IMO, and to build upon until you 'see' them. Severe back cut angle banks need 'pocket' speed and outside, or they just won't go.

td<<< bankin' banger

Old
  (#9)
bstroud
AzB Silver Member
bstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond repute

11-17-2019, 02:22 PM

Eddy Taylor didn't use a system and he was the best there ever was.

Bank takes lots of practice and experience.

Bill stroud

Old
  (#10)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

11-17-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
I was just enjoying watching SVB and Thorpe in the 2019 US Open Bank Pool Championships and was wondering, are most pros using a system when banking or just rote experience when playing banks. They just seem to get up an fire them in with out much thought. I know several systems like using the diamonds, CJ's TIP"s, and the mirror system but it does not seem they are using much to line up. I rarely I see them line up a diamond with their stick, it seems mostly feel for them.
As you get better with a system it can also get abbreviated and faster to use - maybe even less conscious.

Quote:
I understand when to add a touch of outside for countering throw and why most banks are hit with speed, but I don't understand why and when to shoot them with pocket speed unless for defensive proposes.
1. to get shape
2. to maximize the rebound angle (without spin)
3. to increase spin transfer to the OB

pj
chgo

Old
  (#11)
BRussell
AzB Silver Member
BRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond reputeBRussell has a reputation beyond repute

11-17-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
As you get better with a system it can also get abbreviated and faster to use - maybe even less conscious.

1. to get shape
2. to maximize the rebound angle (without spin)
3. to increase spin transfer to the OB

pj
chgo
Also perhaps to avoid rattle-out.

Old
  (#12)
DecentShot
AzB Silver Member
DecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond reputeDecentShot has a reputation beyond repute

11-17-2019, 04:35 PM

John Brumback has a great DVD on this.

Old
  (#13)
Scratch85
AzB Silver Member
Scratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond repute

11-17-2019, 05:47 PM

For the most part, Systems only work for one speed of shot at reasonably steep angles. Whether it be a bank or kick, as you change speed, english, angle and age of cloth the result changes. Then, to use your term, it becomes rote. Practiced and repeated.

Anyway, thatís my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Old
  (#14)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

11-17-2019, 05:56 PM

From Robert Byrneís McGoorty.

Wille Hoppe did not use the diamond system...he developed it for teaching purposes.
...bank systems are the same, IMO....they get you started on the right path....
...but you have to go farther to be good...donít let them be your master.

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#15)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

11-17-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecentShot View Post
John Brumback has a great DVD on this.
He's a great banker of course, and he clearly shows how he does it in the DVD - I only wish he included more "why" with the "how to".

For more than you ever thought there was to know about that you can't do better than Dr. Dave's "resource page" for Banks and Kicks in Pool and Billiards.

pj
chgo

Page 1 of 5 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: