Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Bank pool... Systems or Rote?
Page 2 of 5 12 34 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-17-2019, 07:45 PM

A lot of good answers here and a clear consensus. When it comes to Banks, you've got to "feel" it! The variances in speed and english change everything! You can shoot the exact same bank a thousand different ways, with as many outcomes. The computer in your head can best analyze the data and give you the best answer how to hit the shot. Somehow it remembers the thousands of times you shot similar banks and what worked for you then. Best of all, it can make an almost instant calculation if you don't get in it's way by thinking too much!

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Last edited by jay helfert; 11-17-2019 at 08:09 PM.

Old
  (#17)
JazzyJeff87
AzB Plutonium Member
JazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond repute

11-17-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
A lot of good answers here and a clear consensus. When it comes to Banks, you've got to "feel" it! The variances in speed and english change everything! You can shoot the exact same bank a thousand different ways, with as many outcomes. The computer in your head can best analyze the data and give you the best way to hit the shot. Somehow it remembers the thousands of times you shot similar banks and what worked for you then. Best of all, it can make an almost instant calculation if you don't get in it's way by thinking too much!
Yes! The background super computer. I love the subconscious.

Iíve made 5 or 6 banks total using a system I watched a video on. Once I moved the balls a little I was back to all feel.

My favorite banks are with the cue ball up in the kitchen area closer to the rail, OB below the side pocket somewhere near the opposite rail, inside English to hold the OB ball up and fire it cross corner. I donít know if theyíre just naturally easy to judge or what but I make them like mad, even with the OB still rolling Iíve discovered. It can be pretty intimidating when you finish a quick warm up with a few of those.

Old
  (#18)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

11-17-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJeff87 View Post
Yes! The background super computer. I love the subconscious.

I’ve made 5 or 6 banks total using a system I watched a video on. Once I moved the balls a little I was back to all feel.

My favorite banks are with the cue ball up in the kitchen area closer to the rail, OB below the side pocket somewhere near the opposite rail, inside English to hold the OB ball up and fire it cross corner. I don’t know if they’re just naturally easy to judge or what but I make them like mad, even with the OB still rolling I’ve discovered. It can be pretty intimidating when you finish a quick warm up with a few of those.
Some people have a knack for certain banks and see them better than other people. My specialty was cross side banks that you have to cross over to make. Bugs was amazing at shooting similar banks off the long rails. I asked him once what his secret was.
He said, "I hit 'em just like they were cross side." I never forgot that splendid piece of advice.

Last edited by jay helfert; 11-17-2019 at 08:08 PM.

Old
  (#19)
Banger
AzB Silver Member
Banger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond reputeBanger has a reputation beyond repute

11-17-2019, 08:35 PM

Speaking of Bugs, here you go......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAlRHRJidaM

"It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?" -- Ronald Reagan

Old
  (#20)
Fatboy
AzB Silver Member
Fatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2400

11-17-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by u12armresl View Post
Started out with a system, grew to hitting 10's of thousands of banks and it became feel, is what a lot of bankers will tell you.

Exactly right! Well said

Best
Fatboy

OG member of the Lock Society members or OG-LS;

Just call me Fat-Lock

im getting old and sloppy....

Bug's instructional video's are on youtube too
Old
  (#21)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!
ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

Bug's instructional video's are on youtube too - 11-17-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banger View Post

Edit: Apologies for the duplication Banger. Your link first seemed to point to five minutes of Bugs when I clicked on it. Now it goes to the same video I am talking about. A glitch with my machine I guess.

Bugs' instructional video is on youtube too. Hours of Bugs shooting banks. I suspect the commercial value of the video is almost zero even if somebody is still selling them. Bugs was a great banker, his video delivery is very dry.

I read Freddy the Beard's book years ago. While I bank by feel, working the shots in Freddy's book, 99 shots I believe, sure helped my banking. I wish it was spiral bound to be easier to use at the table.

One of the easiest banks in pool is the "pass by" or bypass shot. Banking a ball near the rail cross side when the cue ball is up table and the corner blocked. The induced spin does most or all of the work and the side pocket plays huge coming almost straight at it. Many players overcomplicate that shot and think it is hard to make. When it is understood it is hard to miss. Another favorite is the crossover bank when the object ball is a few inches off the head rail playing one pocket. Another easy shot, no adjustment needed to clear the cue ball, it does it on it's own.

I never was a great banker but I was a decent one. Never bought into the idea that all cuts were easier than all banks.

Hu

Last edited by ShootingArts; 11-17-2019 at 10:41 PM. Reason: a bit of computer wierdness

Old
  (#22)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people

11-18-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banger View Post

I like it, seeing Bugs makes it all worthwhile. He was legendary because he was a winner, coming up with shots like this if he needed to win a game. Take a good look at the hard shots on tape #3. No one could do this any better than Bugs, than or now!

Old
  (#23)
ChopStick
Unsane Poster
ChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-18-2019, 01:25 PM

Banking with the Beard and Banks that don't go but do, books and DVD, by Freddy Bentivegna in my opinion are the definitive works on the subject. Enough information in there to keep you busy for years. They are a must have as a starting point if you want to understand how banks work.

Don't believe everything you think.

Old
  (#24)
uwate
daydreaming about pool
uwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond reputeuwate has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 62
  Send a message via MSN to uwate  
11-18-2019, 02:32 PM

I recommend banking with the beard to get an understanding of what is "happening under the hood" of bank shots. There is alot of nuances to bank that have to do with using draw, follow, english, speed and throw and freddy goes over the different variables nicely.

After that though, you have to practice and practice. You might find that its your favorite game. I know I did. I just played 7 hrs of it yesterday. A friend of mine in miami loves the game too and we spar regularly. I started recording some of our matches to try to study weaknesses and improve. I recommend doing this even if you keep the videos private and use youtube just as a way to archive your matches.

Here is a bank practice game we use to practice multi rail banks. it looks a bit stupid with all the ball in hands but its alot of fun to play and it really does help to learn multi rail banks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2XJaAwaBX8

Bugs
Old
  (#25)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!
ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

Bugs - 11-18-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
I like it, seeing Bugs makes it all worthwhile. He was legendary because he was a winner, coming up with shots like this if he needed to win a game. Take a good look at the hard shots on tape #3. No one could do this any better than Bugs, than or now!

I would like to know what his eyesight was even when he was up in years. The accuracy with which he hit many of those shots not only required knowledge and a great stroke, they required eyes that would put an eagle to shame just to see the spots he needed to hit so precisely.

I had sampled the video when I did mention how dry he was. Not that bad especially after he got more comfortable with the camera. "This shot is tougher than eleven mother-in-laws, ... including mine!"

Some other comments too mentioning who he used the shot to clinch a victory against, he said making one shot almost got him ran out of town!

Great stuff, and a lot of banks mortals can make too. Some of Bug's banks, I might be one in twenty on with some practice. While I like watching other people make them I try to ignore shots that I think I am less than one in three or four to make and I don't shoot those unless I think they will make a major swing. Freeze the cue ball and the object ball on the same rail, then bank the ball! I see how it was done but I could wear out a few cubes of chalk and a tip trying to make that shot I believe, and it wasn't as hard as some he shot!

Hu

Old
  (#26)
JazzyJeff87
AzB Plutonium Member
JazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond repute

11-18-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwate View Post
I recommend banking with the beard to get an understanding of what is "happening under the hood" of bank shots. There is alot of nuances to bank that have to do with using draw, follow, english, speed and throw and freddy goes over the different variables nicely.

After that though, you have to practice and practice. You might find that its your favorite game. I know I did. I just played 7 hrs of it yesterday. A friend of mine in miami loves the game too and we spar regularly. I started recording some of our matches to try to study weaknesses and improve. I recommend doing this even if you keep the videos private and use youtube just as a way to archive your matches.

Here is a bank practice game we use to practice multi rail banks. it looks a bit stupid with all the ball in hands but its alot of fun to play and it really does help to learn multi rail banks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2XJaAwaBX8
So are you the fellow whoís wife was trying to get him to do house work, or the one who talked her out of it so the pool could continue? Either way you made some nice banks.

Old
  (#27)
CocoboloCowboy
Cowboys are my heros.
CocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1538

11-18-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstroud View Post
Eddy Taylor didn't use a system and he was the best there ever was.

Bank takes lots of practice and experience.

Bill stroud
Bill is 110% but someone is alway hoping to become a master of some skill with no effort. There are no magic pills, Cues, or systems.

Old
  (#28)
Gunn_Slinger
AzB Silver Member
Gunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond reputeGunn_Slinger has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 68

11-18-2019, 08:13 PM

In the 60' , I talked to Eddie Taylor a couple of times. He came to a room called Guys & Dolls in suitland maryland. The owner was a good friend of Eddies and staked him for whatever. Eddie told me that knew 2 rail system and 3 rail system as a place to start. But for 1 rail banks, he said, 'shoot a million of them' ! He said that you have to adjust any system or 1 rail banks due to wet/dry conditions , every table banks a little different,
Different OB's , different CB's, etc. I got to see him play many times. Never seen anyone
play as he did ! The closet I saw personally was Truman Hogue. He came looking for
Eddie. He found him a few days at Beenie's room. He didn't know who he was playing.
Eddie won, but not easily. Truman was a great banker. It took the best ever to beat him.
I'de be just fine if it took Eddie to beat me !! lol
Banks is a great game. Very little luck. Called pocket, called rails. Can't luck a bank.
My favorite game.
ps
There is a lot of strategy in 9 ball banks that most players don't seem to know.
Great game !

Old
  (#29)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

11-18-2019, 08:51 PM

I use a little bit of dis and a little bit of dat.

I've played for so long, I can usually see the angle, or pretty close to it, by just looking at the object ball and the angle it needs to travel off of the rail in order to find the pocket. Then you find the contact point on the object ball that will send it to that point on the rail with the cue ball.

Of course, speed, English, the weather, luck, and a few other things come into play, but that is the general system I use.

I do use the diamonds as a visual reference to backup my calculations if the shot is kind of tricky.

Old
  (#30)
Poolhall60561
AzB Silver Member
Poolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond reputePoolhall60561 has a reputation beyond repute

11-18-2019, 08:58 PM

Study and use systems for the first 1/2 million shots, them go rote for the next 1/2 million. By then you will have it.

Page 2 of 5 12 34 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: