Tactics to combat horrible table conditions

jimtauer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We need to play leagues every so often against a team who insists on shooting out of a dive bar. While the bar has 7' Diamonds, there are many issues with the equipment at this establishment that has really affected play for the non-banger crowd.

1) They do not take any care whatsoever to brush, clean or otherwise maintain the felt, even though it is Simonis. Stains, crumbs, lint, tears in the cloth and dirt are rampant.

2) They do not clean or otherwise maintain the pool balls. Balls are dull, dirty, and some have chips and scratches in them. Debris and hair from the cloth clings to the balls.

3) The table lights are rusty, caked with dust, and worst of all, mounted far too low. If you need to stretch out even 1' beyond the end rail, you WILL hit your head and will be covered in dust. Some of the lights are also mounted incorrectly at an angle, so when you approach the table you are blinded by what appear to be 5 unfiltered/unshaded 100W incandescent bulbs. This causes your head position to be lower than normal on some shots, resulting in misses.

4) There is "decor" surrounding each table - think stuff from "American Pickers" (bicycle wheels, old shipping crates, automotive parts, statues, signs etc) that impede a full cue stroke from many areas.

5) Besides the "decor" mentioned above, seating (bar stools) and table tops are situated around/too close to the table, also preventing full cue strokes from many areas.

6) The pool tables themselves are situated too close to each other, so when playing you are constantly waiting for the player next door to finish up so you can take your shot in the same place (s)he is standing.

I am asking for advice on how to combat these conditions and level the playing field a bit for those of us not used to having to get into an advanced yoga position to shoot a routine shot.

I have thought of bringing my own table brush and cue ball at least. Also need something like an "anti-extension" for this place, if that makes sense - I might need to start bringing my son's Junior cue for those shots where the butt is banging right up against some rusty gold.

It is a shame that this place doesn't take their equipment even a little more seriously... it wouldn't take much to brush the tables once in a while, level and raise the lights, do some vacuuming, and rearrange some of the furniture.

Thanks in advance for any input.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brush, your own cueball, and a rag to wipe the balls will do wonders.
I use my jump cue in the short spots.
I avoid places like that like the plague.
But when in Rome and you dont have an offensive shot,
freeze 'em on the rail near the obstacles;)
Best of luck.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My first thought - Why would you ever continue to support this establishment with your presence? Sounds like an easy decision to me!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
One thing I was taught is that when you play on lousy equipment, the rails are not to be trusted, and that one way to defend yourself is to use, in your angle management, a little more stun and a little less english.

jimtauer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My first thought - Why would you ever continue to support this establishment with your presence? Sounds like an easy decision to me!

Believe me, I'd love not to. One team in our division insists on playing there, so we either have to show up or take a full week's forfeit, which is too many points to lose for a single week.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Believe me, I'd love not to. One team in our division insists on playing there, so we either have to show up or take a full week's forfeit, which is too many points to lose for a single week.
Seems like the league director could get involved in trying to talk to the management of this establishment to try to take better care of their pool tables and equipment, or risk losing their privilege to be a host venue for the league.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Brush, your own cueball, and a rag to wipe the balls will do wonders.
I use my jump cue in the short spots.
I avoid places like that like the plague.
But when in Rome and you dont have an offensive shot,
freeze 'em on the rail near the obstacles;)
Best of luck.

I’ve got a few wall spots at home, if you play me some 1p here you will find yourself on the rail with no room for a backswing at all lol.

I always use the 2nd ball break on turrible tables like that. A lot of center ball and firm strokes...sliding around instead of rolling whenever possible and making sure nothing can ever roll off. It still sucks bad though :)

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We need to play leagues every so often against a team who insists on shooting out of a dive bar. While the bar has 7' Diamonds, there are many issues with the equipment at this establishment that has really affected play for the non-banger crowd.

1) They do not take any care whatsoever to brush, clean or otherwise maintain the felt, even though it is Simonis. Stains, crumbs, lint, tears in the cloth and dirt are rampant.

2) They do not clean or otherwise maintain the pool balls. Balls are dull, dirty, and some have chips and scratches in them. Debris and hair from the cloth clings to the balls.

3) The table lights are rusty, caked with dust, and worst of all, mounted far too low. If you need to stretch out even 1' beyond the end rail, you WILL hit your head and will be covered in dust. Some of the lights are also mounted incorrectly at an angle, so when you approach the table you are blinded by what appear to be 5 unfiltered/unshaded 100W incandescent bulbs. This causes your head position to be lower than normal on some shots, resulting in misses.

4) There is "decor" surrounding each table - think stuff from "American Pickers" (bicycle wheels, old shipping crates, automotive parts, statues, signs etc) that impede a full cue stroke from many areas.

5) Besides the "decor" mentioned above, seating (bar stools) and table tops are situated around/too close to the table, also preventing full cue strokes from many areas.

6) The pool tables themselves are situated too close to each other, so when playing you are constantly waiting for the player next door to finish up so you can take your shot in the same place (s)he is standing.

I am asking for advice on how to combat these conditions and level the playing field a bit for those of us not used to having to get into an advanced yoga position to shoot a routine shot.

I have thought of bringing my own table brush and cue ball at least. Also need something like an "anti-extension" for this place, if that makes sense - I might need to start bringing my son's Junior cue for those shots where the butt is banging right up against some rusty gold.

It is a shame that this place doesn't take their equipment even a little more seriously... it wouldn't take much to brush the tables once in a while, level and raise the lights, do some vacuuming, and rearrange some of the furniture.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Just do what I do, get drunk enough not to care.

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the team insists on playing there, put some pressure on them to take responsibility for the table cleanliness at least. Maybe they have to give up a few points each round if the table, balls and light are dirty. It shouldn't take more than 20 minutes to give everything a wipe down if properly cleaned at the beginning of the season.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I would just pass on of that league play. Sounds like you guys need to move on to more serious players anyway. Why would they choose a place like that anyway? It definitely won’t help your game playing on substandard equipment.

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A top player told me a story of winning money in a town in the south, playing in a country bar. Having to use the "facilities" he spotted a sign over a door that said "Men's Room." He opened the door and there was the back parking lot.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Learn to shoot stun-run-through shots, rather than slow rolling. You can also use TOI, as that tends to make cueball control easier on such equipment.

If you're playing on crap conditions, recon is always paramount. Is there one or more dead rails or dead spots on the rail, is the table leaning, if so which way, is there a bad pocket, are the balls equal weight etc? That last part is paramount. If there is a replacement ball or more try some draw shots off them. If you get more draw, they're heavier, if you get less, they're lighter. I've seen top players get screwed over from not getting the right amount a draw off a bad replacement ball. Usually, if the conditions are really bad, there is probably a bad pocket or two.

When you get to a place, casually walk around the table feeling the cushions. You'll usually feel if they are lose or mabye "wavy" meaning the nose varies in height. Try to banks some balls off every cushiona and listen intently for the sound made. If the cushion makes a lower sound, usually the rail has loose bolts. Any bank shot off it will go long and run a shorter distance. Do some 3 cushion shots to find the short and long side of the table and check for anomalies. Feel and look at the pocket facings to see if they're "cupped". If they are, they are likely to spit balls hit with speed and spin. Shoot some lag shots to see if the table is leaning. Feel the cloth and look intently, to look for condition, holes, worn spots and to see where the break lines are. Observe when people are breaking, what speed is being used, and which balls go.

Remember that your opponent has to play on the same equipment, and even if he knows it, he may not know how to use the information he has to his benefit and he may not know all that a thourough examination can reveal. So keep your mouth shut and use the information to your advantage.

Last edited:

FRDennis

Registered
The players in the league should get together and voice their complaints to the league operator and then all boycott playing league there if the establishment wont take care of the equipment. Then the league operator should talk to the owner to correct the issues or just not allow teams to play out of there. The players in a league are the "customers". The league operators and establishments are benefiting more than the players.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
For your specific conditions, you could bring a shorter cue. You could also bring a brush and brush the table yourself as well as clean the balls with a microfiber cloth and an aramith ball cleaning solution. Also, take note of where the trouble spots are, so you can lay viscious "snookers" caused by obstacles and not play yourself into the same.

Last edited:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
What's funny is that most of us probably first started playing pool on old Valley barboxes with shag carpet felt. 30 years ago I loved them and shot lights out pool, regardless of table condition. I could walk in, grab an old Valley Supreme 19oz cue off the wall, and play some damn good pool. It's all we knew.

Then a few years later a poolhall opened up nearby with Diamond tables, and they kept them clean, also kept the balls nice and clean. Now I'm spoiled, as many of us are, by the fast cloth and consistent playing conditions of excellent, well maintained equipment. Now if I go to a place with an old beat up barbox, the first couple of games are typically a struggle, then I get used to it.

Dirty/dull balls play slower, and they throw more, which can cause you to unexpectedly miss some shots. Add to this the slow action of dirty cloth and dead rails, and there's not many things you can do to combat the horrible conditions. Still, dirty and worn simonis is better than felt. But try this....

1. Walk around the table and check the rails for places where the cushion looks like its loose or sagging. Shoot the cb into each cushion in several places, listening for dead spots.

2. Never slow roll a ball. Every shot should be hit with at least medium to firm speed. Not many finesse shots turn out well on a dirty barbox.

3. Use less english. The balls throw more, and even though the table plays slow, a cb with running english leaves the rail with more speed than normal, much faster than you think it will. Inside english on some shot angles doesn't grab as well and the cb tends to slide on its way off the cushion instead of grabbing and sending it where you think it will go. All of this makes position play a bit inconsistent.

4. Play most shots for longer position than you think. I mean, if you're shooting a ball in the corner and bouncing the cb off the rail toward center table, it's likely going to come up 6 to 10 inches short, so you'll typically want to play it a little longer than you think you should.

5. Use a shorter bridge, not "letting your stroke out" as you would on a bigger and better table.

6. Laugh at the rediculous rolls that might occur -- don't get frustrated.

Simply recognizing the worst conditions -- dead rails, table levelness, cleanliness, etc.... -- can help you play correct and accurate shots, as well as good position, or good enough position. Make yourself aware of the bad conditions and play accordingly. If you ignore them you deserve all the bad rolls you get.

Last edited:

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played at a bar last night that has an old fashioned wooden phone booth in the racking end. Ever shot with your back leg in one? The other guy had to 3 times.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Played at a bar last night that has an old fashioned wooden phone booth in the racking end. Ever shot with your back leg in one? The other guy had to 3 times.

I used to play in a bar that had about a 2 foot high block wall/divider between the doorway entry and the pool table. It was about 3 feet from the table and you had to straddle it every time there was a shot to shoot from that side of the table, which was quite often.