Would you have integrity?

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To be fair, I don't think the shooter said this, it was his team (that was also using bullying tactics). I'm pretty sure the shooter remained quiet until the ref made his decision. I also don't think the shooter was aware of the foul until after, he legitimately though it was clean.

The controversy with this shot is that it was video reviewed by a ref and called fair. It was a pivotal decision and directly affected the outcome of the match.

I could imagine a shooter concentrating on the 8ball, and not noticing the other ball was clipped first...of course after seeing the video, no one can dispute the foul

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
upon reviewing the shot, I don't think he makes the shot if he didn't first hit the other ball, which changed the angle of the CB into the 8 ball

(edit, the movement of the CB is all the more reason to see the foul)

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Alright, I watched the video, was that an actual video of the shot in question?
I have a hard time believing it was that obvious, but if it was how do you NOT call the foul
on yourself? Is there anyone (even the blind people) that couldn't see that?
OK, so you figure that you get a referee if the shot will be close, but if there is absolutely
no question like in the video, you really don't need a referee, if it's a foul it's going to be
obvious, and it was.
The hardest thing would have been for me admit that the shooter, though he was so
crooked that he has to screw his shorts on, was right, without the referee the shooter
can pretty much make what ever call he wants regardless of how obvious the foul was.
Was this an APA event? How did his team feel about that?

You're right -- on close shots not watched by a ref or 3rd party, the call/shot goes to the shooter. But this shot was not one of those too close to call type shots. Had I been the opposing player I would haved immediately called "Foul!" before the 8 dropped. Then I would've stuck to my guns until the tournament director got involved.

The problem with a lot of players, particularly in leagues, is that the opposing player asks if the shooter fouled. You should never ask if it was a foul. Fouls should be immediately called when they happen. When your opponent fouls you say "FOUL", not "Was that a foul?"

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
You're right -- on close shots not watched by a ref or 3rd party, the call/shot goes to the shooter. But this shot was not one of those too close to call type shots. Had I been the opposing player I would haved immediately called "Foul!" before the 8 dropped. Then I would've stuck to my guns until the tournament director got involved.

The problem with a lot of players, particularly in leagues, is that the opposing player asks if the shooter fouled. You should never ask if it was a foul. Fouls should be immediately called when they happen. When your opponent fouls you say "FOUL", not "Was that a foul?"

I'm not real familiar with VNEA rules. If this was APA event I would know a little more
about the rules and rulings. I do know that even though the rules say "you should protect
yourself by calling a referee for a close shot", I mean, c'mon, there was no need for a
referee here. Also, in the APA the use of video replay is forbidden, I would assume it's
the same in VNEA, but that may not be the case. This was a foul, not to call it on
yourself is very unsportsmanlike and a real douche bag move.
However, even if you stuck to your guns here, the shooter has the rule on his side, not
a whole lot you can do about it

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl catches criticism for being vocal but I guarantee nobody would have pulled that on him and gotten away with it. The entire pool hall would have known about it.

One ball moved half a diamond.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
We had a very large tourney this weekend in Edmonton Alberta Canada with hundreds of teams.

Down to the final few teams the above happened. ...
How did it come out? What did the TD do? Was a foul eventually called?

btown

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By the looks of it it does seem possible that the 8ball could have teetered!. would be hard to tell with that video. but I wouldn't bet 1000 it did not move.

Also if it did move a hairs distance it would be very hard to see it unless you were looking directly at the 8 ball.

If they said the 8 wiggled first before the cueball hit the rail. it would be hard to argue against that.

And I definitely wouldn't be calling people a cheat over it..

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What the hell?

No, I would not have taken the win. I would of told the ref and my opponent it was a bad hit. It's a game of pool, for crapes sake.

Some want to win at all costs. They forget that honesty in a game of pool and the rest of life is important and that at the end of the day, it is all we really own.

When I look in the mirror I want to see an honest person. How can any one take any pride, sense of accomplishment, or feel any thing good about a win like that? If they do, it speaks volumes about their character.

If they will win that way, they will use the same principals in the rest of their life.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
https://www.facebook.com/groups/42909123686/permalink/10156326086958687?sfns=mo

We had a very large tourney this weekend in Edmonton Alberta Canada with hundreds of teams.

Down to the final few teams the above happened. The shooting player says that the watching player should have called a ref on the shot. Anyone with an ounce of integrity would call the foul on themself when asked. Not immediately say “you should have called a ref”

There was also intimidation of the other team as well by the fouling team.

How can this sport grow if the leaders don’t lead especially in the highest division there is?

Be an ambassador for honesty not shameful ness. What would you do as the shooter?

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

This isn't about pool. This is about an individual or individuals. Unfortunately there a lot like him around today, in every walk of life. I'd rather be me than one of them! Think of it that way and you'll be all right.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By the looks of it it does seem possible that the 8ball could have teetered!. would be hard to tell with that video. but I wouldn't bet 1000 it did not move.

possible, but very unlikely, because the shooter knows the CB is near the 8 ball, and would intentionally try to miss the 8 ball on the way to the rail....hard to imagine someone lining up wrong and scrubbing the 8 ball on the way out....

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, I would not have taken the win. I would of told the ref and my opponent it was a bad hit. It's a game of pool, for crapes sake.

Some want to win at all costs. They forget that honesty in a game of pool and the rest of life is important and that at the end of the day, it is all we really own.

When I look in the mirror I want to see an honest person. How can any one take any pride, sense of accomplishment, or feel any thing good about a win like that? If they do, it speaks volumes about their character.

If they will win that way, they will use the same principals in the rest of their life.
Bravo. Well put.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
One clue: TurningStone. Rest is up to you.

Why are we beating around the bush about a fookin' name? If it was a foul, and it is on video as a blatant foul, then just spit out the name.

Is it a girl? Do all the guys on here have dreams of having sex with this girl someday, and don't want to screw up their chances, and will not therefore accuse her of cheating?

No? Then stop playing all these games and just spit it out. Some of us can't access the video from work, you know...

Short Bus Russ

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://www.facebook.com/groups/42909123686/permalink/10156326086958687?sfns=mo

Down to the final few teams the above happened. The shooting player says that the watching player should have called a ref on the shot. Anyone with an ounce of integrity would call the foul on themself when asked. Not immediately say “you should have called a ref”

There was also intimidation of the other team as well by the fouling team.

How can this sport grow if the leaders don’t lead especially in the highest division there is?

Be an ambassador for honesty not shameful ness. What would you do as the shooter?

There is absolutely no question it was a foul. Did the shooter actually deny that they saw the opponent's object ball move before the cue ball struck the 8-ball? The video proof should have been used to settle any question/dispute. Even if the shooter denied it, it's just hard to believe an entire team collectively including every single player on that team (many whom I sure witnessed the shot) would want to win so bad as to win that way - very sad.

For those that say maybe there's a chance the cue ball grazed the 8-ball on the way to the side rail, it's quite obvious to me that by the angle the cue ball and 8-ball are positioned at, if they were frozen, it would have been impossible to hit the cue ball in to the side rail at that angle, without clearly seeing the 8-ball at least oscillate slightly.

If, as stated, a ref reviewed the video replay and still upheld it is a clean shot/hit, that ref should be banned for life as a ref.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why are we beating around the bush about a fookin' name? If it was a foul, and it is on video as a blatant foul, then just spit out the name.

Is it a girl? Do all the guys on here have dreams of having sex with this girl someday, and don't want to screw up their chances, and will not therefore accuse her of cheating?

No? Then stop playing all these games and just spit it out. Some of us can't access the video from work, you know...

Short Bus Russ[/QUOTE ............................

Big Business

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All I can think is that they thought they nicked the 8 due to perhaps it being frozen to the cue ball. In the end it’s just a local Alberta player and not all on that team acted out. In fact most of them are good people and have actually publicly apologized for their other team mates. Even offered to refuse the trophy and donate their portion of winnings to the team that lost the match due to this particular act in part. It is a man and not a female. Who it isn’t as important as how this could happen.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I quit a money league because of this kind of crap. Way too much cheating in that league but the ironic thing is many of those players also play apa and I don't see that much cheating from them. its all about the money.

In apa Vegas qualifiers you will see players try to get away with crap and that's when I become anal about watching every shot by every player my teams face. I WI call for an observer in a heartbeat on any situation where I think a player may foul . When I get that exasperated look from my lo I reply I want no doubts about the outcome of that shot.

During regular session I never call for an observer because its not that important a match for any unnecessary drama. However in playoffs or higher every one gets serious and some people will take liberties with whatever they think they can get away with when something is on the line.