brunswick GC2 setup & leveling pics-is this right?

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I really need a good side pocket casting but the table is going together & being reclothed in 2 days. So, I doubt I'll find one in time. I'll have to live with this bit of ugliness for now.

Hopefully, I can take apart the rails easy enough and swap out the casting/s when I get a new set or a single used piece.

Pics that Rexus asked for.

Wow! I've NEVER seen plating come off like that. Are you sure it is plating?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
It does appear to be made from zinc as the gc2 specs note. Plated zinc.

You're slates should have the small pin & dowels as well, not the bigger ones. The original slates for your table should have been 1 1/16" thick with a 1" hardwood backing mounted to them.

PS, but there is a very good chance your table could have been one of the last 2's built, which could have taken place as Brunswick was switching over to the Italian slates replacing the Brunstone playing surfaces, so it could still in fact be the original slates, which would make it an even more rare find.

Last edited:

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I have one that Glenn worked on. I always thought it was a parts table too until he worked on it.

Actually no. You just pointed out what makes it a GC2.... That is the way it came from the factory. It is the same table as a GC1, but, as you said it has: " Bronze feet and ball box trim, aluminum corners and rail molding."
The wood is also the first factory rosewood stained GC.

I have still to this day never physically seen one. They only made them for 2 years and then the GC3 came out. So really they are the rarest of the GC series due to being made for about 2 years. Try finding a GC 2 service manual: It does not exist and that is because by design it is a GC1 with only color changes.

Trent from Toledo

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
That $500 asking price needs to be cut in half just for having red cloth on it!!!!!!:eek::eek:

For REAL!

Funny though, people who say that is not a good deal are pretty cheap. Even if you had to buy another set of slates ( I happen to have sets of both OS8' and 9' because it makes sense) for $500, paying $1000 for a good condition GC is worth every penny. Even if you end up with $3-4 k in it after doin everything up right, still worth it. Not many things in life you get to keep FOREVER and a properly restored GC is FOREVER. I usually pay $500-$1000 for them in good condition and do not haggle the owners with lame stuff like, "it's gonna cost me this much to get it playing right....."

If the price is good within what I usually pay and the condition is as described: I dont even try to haggle anyone. Just my way of doing business, I treat people the way I want to be treated and no one actually likes to be haggled, unless they over priced it in order to haggle!!!

Trent from Toledo

realkingcobra

Silver Member
For REAL!

Funny though, people who say that is not a good deal are pretty cheap. Even if you had to buy another set of slates ( I happen to have sets of both OS8' and 9' because it makes sense) for $500, paying $1000 for a good condition GC is worth every penny. Even if you end up with $3-4 k in it after doin everything up right, still worth it. Not many things in life you get to keep FOREVER and a properly restored GC is FOREVER. I usually pay $500-$1000 for them in good condition and do not haggle the owners with lame stuff like, "it's gonna cost me this much to get it playing right....."

If the price is good within what I usually pay and the condition is as described: I dont even try to haggle anyone. Just my way of doing business, I treat people the way I want to be treated and no one actually likes to be haggled, unless they over priced it in order to haggle!!!

Trent from Toledo

Let me know how much the cost of replacement slate is shipped and backed next time you actually buy a set!!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
For REAL!

Trent from Toledo

You have a very bad habit of looking at pool tables through your set of eyes instead of the customers eyes!! The last thing a customer looking to buy a used pool table wa ts to do, is have to go through the hassle of buying a new slate because the table like this one, is already in a beat condition, is to have to shell out more money to buy a replacement slate! How much do you think a customer would end up paying for a slate....NOT being from this industry? Then paying someone to come in and sset that very same table up? What does the REAL cost end up being, without even refinishing the damn table????

realkingcobra

Silver Member
For REAL!

Trent from Toledo
At some point in time, throwing around the word "cheap" starts to become insulting! I wouldn't have touched that table for $250 and I'm far from cheap!!!

D0N

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You're slates should have the small pin & dowels as well, not the bigger ones. The original slates for your table should have been 1 1/16" thick with a 1" hardwood backing mounted to them.

PS, but there is a very good chance your table could have been one of the last 2's built, which could have taken place as Brunswick was switching over to the Italian slates replacing the Brunstone playing surfaces, so it could still in fact be the original slates, which would make it an even more rare find.

The table will most likely come apart tomorrow during setup and reclothing. I'll take pics of the dowels. They were smallish... slightly smaller than a pencil as I remember. BUt pics will tell tomorrow. I hope to be playing tomorrow night!

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
You have a very bad habit of looking at pool tables through your set of eyes instead of the customers eyes!! The last thing a customer looking to buy a used pool table wa ts to do, is have to go through the hassle of buying a new slate because the table like this one, is already in a beat condition, is to have to shell out more money to buy a replacement slate! How much do you think a customer would end up paying for a slate....NOT being from this industry? Then paying someone to come in and sset that very same table up? What does the REAL cost end up being, without even refinishing the damn table????

Where did I say the word customer?? I didn't :) Back off you rowdy ole snake! :)

Trent from Toledo

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The table will most likely come apart tomorrow during setup and reclothing. I'll take pics of the dowels. They were smallish... slightly smaller than a pencil as I remember. BUt pics will tell tomorrow. I hope to be playing tomorrow night!

Can’t wait for the news!

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Casting

Yes, I really need a good side pocket casting but the table is going together & being reclothed in 2 days. So, I doubt I'll find one in time. I'll have to live with this bit of ugliness for now.

Hopefully, I can take apart the rails easy enough and swap out the casting/s when I get a new set or a single used piece.

Pics that Rexus asked for.

_

That casting has been plated over the original, you will want to use airplane stripper and a media blaster to remove all that.

enjoy'
Rob.M

D0N

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How long would it take to bring my table from the state it is in to a finished, ready to play state... including recovering and levelling? I ask because the mechanics are still not here but are saying they are coming tonight. I do not want them half assing this.

Last edited: