Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
US Open 9-Ball 2019 player list

The list of players for the US Open 9-Ball this April is listed here:

http://www.matchroompool.com/usopen9ball/#players

I'm surprised that only three Filipinos are entered so far. There are a lot of names I don't recognize and countries that I don't connect with pool. Iceland? Cyprus? But a year ago I didn't know any Albanians played pool.:smile:

There are 147 entered so far with about four months to go. In addition it looks like there are about 50 qualifiers still to be held.

Last edited:

beetle

Do I bug you?
Silver Member
Call me stupid, but I'm planning to play. I'll probably be the lowest rated player there. But the entry fee gives you two event passes, so it's not an outrageous amount to pay when you consider what those would cost. Anyway, it will be exciting to be part of the event!
--Steve

The list of players for the US Open 9-Ball this April is listed here:

http://www.matchroompool.com/usopen9ball/#players

I'm surprised that only three Filipinos are entered so far. There are a lot of names I don't recognize and countries that I don't connect with pool. Iceland? Cyprus? But a year ago I didn't know any Albanians played pool.:smile:

There are 147 entered so far with about four months to go. In addition it looks like there are about 50 qualifiers still to be held.

Denis The Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like incredible field already! Last I heard on Kelly Issaks F/B page Roberto Gomez was having problems getting back to USA due to immigration problems. Maybe he is ok to come back now. Hope so , enjoyed his style of play.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's almost Christmas time, where we hear "ho, ho, ho".

At US Open time, we should hear "Ko, Ko, Ko."

Don't see the three Ko brothers from Taiwan listed.

Will be a shame if they don't play.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like incredible field already! Last I heard on Kelly Issaks F/B page Roberto Gomez was having problems getting back to USA due to immigration problems. Maybe he is ok to come back now. Hope so , enjoyed his style of play.

Last I heard he hopes to have things sorted out before the Derby.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I am surprised that James Aranas and Omar Al-Shaheen are not on this list.

Maniac

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Of interest to me is the entrant Melinda Huang...a US Ladies 9-ball champion.

1DCB5505-BA97-477F-BF85-9A6CBC30656C.jpeg

AZers may know Melinda better as OMGWTF.....I’m fond of her ‘take no prisoners’ style
...of writing...I suspect her style on the table is similar.

http://massiveunderstatement.com/

C’MON MELINDA

I’m also pleased to see Mark Showalter is still competing....
...I recall him from early 2000s at the Open....he finally lost a hard-fought match..B-side...
...he said ( in a voice that could be heard all the way to downtown Norfolk)......
...”Martha, I’m coming HOME!”

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Of interest to me is the entrant Melinda Huang...a US Ladies 9-ball champion.

View attachment 507646

AZers may know Melinda better as OMGWTF.....I’m fond of her ‘take no prisoners’ style
...of writing...I suspect her style on the table is similar.

http://massiveunderstatement.com/

C’MON MELINDA

I’m also pleased to see Mark Showalter is still competing....
...I recall him from early 2000s at the Open....he finally lost a hard-fought match..B-side...
...he said ( in a voice that could be heard all the way to downtown Norfolk)......
...”Martha, I’m coming HOME!”

I like her as well, PT. I appreciate her over-all attitude and her seemingly level-head. Plus, the girl can play, as evidenced by her US Amateur win ( which, actually, was @ 5 miles from my front door ). She certainly has her work cut out for her, but then, so does everyone else.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Where are the top Asians? JL Chang and the Ko brothers aren't on the list, and very few of the Fillipinos are on the list.

Let's not forget that JL Chang and Ko Ping Chung came first and second at the International 9-ball Open in October against a very strong field.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where are the top Asians? JL Chang and the Ko brothers aren't on the list, and very few of the Fillipinos are on the list.

Let's not forget that JL Chang and Ko Ping Chung came first and second at the International 9-ball Open in October against a very strong field.

JL Chang is on the list.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my opinion, 2017 was the year the US Open passed the world 9 ball championships in terms of amount of top 100 players that played, and difficulty.
I believe the average Fargo rating was higher.

The addition of matchroom and the extra cash along with the venu in Vegas appears to have loaded up the players list... the WPA event in Qatar is just second best.

Also the change from true double elimination to sudden death for the final 16 gives better odds for dark horse players to make a run.
I hope the WPA goes with a different path when the Qatar contract is up.